Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Building a new pc for video editing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/16981-building-new-pc-video-editing.html)

cappaj1 April 17, 2009 10:37 PM

Building a new pc for video editing

Brand new on this forum. First post!

I'm planning a new build to be used primarily for video editing pc, no games, with:

Intel i7 2.66 and zalman cpu cooler, arctic silver paste
Asus P6T motherboard
6 Gb OCZ ddr3 1600 memory
vista 64bit
Corsair 650w power 80+ supply in mid tower case
LG Blue ray burner
Seagate barracuda 750 Gb 7200rpm hard drive
Internal card reader w/front audio, mic, USB 2.0, firewire and esata ports
Two Asus 24" monitors, 1920x1200 resolution

I'm going to use this pc for Hi Def video editing across the two 24" Asus lcd monitors at 1920x1200 each and want to use a single Asus HD 4870 512kb video card which has two dvi outs to pan across one large 'desktop'.

I won't be using this system for games!

I haven't yet ordered the components. This is only my fifth build in the last ten years and it's been a while so I had a few questions:

1.) Is it difficult to mount the cpu to the mboard, and the cooler to the cpu?

2.) Is the HD 4870 up to driving both these large 24" monitors simultaneously?

3.) Is my power supply adequate? It's amperage ratings seem higher than most of the other 'top' power supplies at the same wattage.

4.) If down the road I want to add another identical HD 4870, will the both fit side by side in the P6T? I read the three PCIe 2.0 x 16 (at x16/x16/x4 mode) are very close together, and that the Asus 4870 runs HOT, so I'm thinking they'll either not fit next to each other at all, or will be so close that heat will be a problem.

5.) Will this pc be loud? I'm not familiar with Corsair power supplies or Asus video card fans.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Jake_HT April 17, 2009 10:50 PM

For high def video editing, you're going to want some more space! And more hard drive speed, that will be your speed limiter for sure. I suggesting getting 2 drives and setting up a RAID 0, and then another drive for storage (backup).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but video editing doesn't take much GPU power at all, since it's not 3D rendering, why the need for a 4870, even 2 of them? If you were to get it anyways it would drive both of those monitors just fine for video editing. I suggest something with less power to save on costs since you won't be gaming.

I also suggest getting something other than the Zalman cooler, they're overpriced for their performance, the thermalright ultra extreme 120 is a tad cheaper than the zalman 9900, about the same price as the 9700, and offers better cooling (especially better than the 9700). Be sure that it will fit in your case, though. It will also give you some headroom for temperatures if you are planning to overlock (which you should definitely do with an i7, free speed, eh?)

And that power supply will power that machine without a hiccup. Corsair makes quality PSU's.

Hope this helped... and someone please verify that you don't need a beefy GPU for video editing? You could get away with a much less powerful video card... like the passive cooled 4670 since you're worried about noise.

Oh and:

It is not very difficult to put the CPU in the socket, however if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT! You could risk bending the pins on the socket, but if you're very very careful you'll be just fine. And mounting the thermalright ultra extreme 120 is very simple, you just put the bracket through it, and put the screws into the backplate. Just have to be careful not to swish around your thermal paste application!

Phobia April 18, 2009 12:23 AM

I'm not sure what software you're using, or if its supported by CUDA, but you could go with a gtx260 and use cuda to help render the videos when you're done. However, if you don't want to/can't go that route, i would get a cheaper card $100 or less, and spend the money on harddrives. I'd suggest 3 1tb harddrives in raid 5

Magnetar April 18, 2009 01:07 AM

A 4870 is WAY more than enough for video editing, you can definitely save money there.

I suggest you consider getting a few HDDs to spread out your I/O.
Get at least three WD Blacks 640GB.
Put OS on the first one, all programs (that you can) on the second one, then use the third for your scratch, data like Documents etc., and a place to store drivers and other stuff.
On the third disk set a partition as a Frag partition, say 20GB, that's way more than enough. You can set most of your programs to use a custom folder for temp files. If you still want a pagefile, set it there too. Remember to use sub-folders to keep it all organized.
You'll end up with lots of wasted space, but you I/O will be way better!!!
Consider having a few partitions on your Programs HDD, like Office, Security, Maintenance and Analyzing, Internet, Editing, bla bla bla... That way you can manage fragmentation better!

Also, please get yourself a Pioneer>LG burner.

cappaj1 April 30, 2009 09:49 AM

Okay,
Well, below is what I ended up purchasing:

Two Asus 23" HDMI lcd monitors
Antec Nine Hundred mid tower case
Corsair 650W Crossfire ready 80+ psu
Asus P6T motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz cpu
HIS HD 4670 turbo 512mb video card dual dvi outs
OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 3x2 gb sticks memory
Vista Home Premium 64 bit operating system
Samsung 1TB 7200rpm 3.oGb/s SATA hard drive
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA
USB Zoom 56k modem dongle

After I build this, I plan on trialing for video editing Sony Vegas Platinum Pro, Corel VideoStudio Pro x2 and Adobe Premier Elements and deciding on one of those.

I still need suggestions on a cpu cooler and also on a great keyboard and mouse that will work fine with Vista64 and are standouts in some way. I'm really leaning towards a keyboard thats illuminated and a laser mouse.

For cpu coolers I'm thinking either of these two:
Xigmatek THOR'S HAMMER HDT-S126384
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO

I'll probably go with the Noctua though as I can get it locally for a decent price.

Any suggestions on what cooler and keyboard/mouse to go with, as well as any links to a i7 system build tutorial would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.:clap:

dataxpert April 30, 2009 09:56 AM

+1 , all true 3 WD 640 black will be nice, you also use 4 of them

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 180806)
I'd suggest 3 1tb harddrives in raid 5

good idea too. so raid 5 , with an other hard drive for the swap and the scratch , start to cost more... but less than what I will use if ever I do video editing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnetar (Post 180811)
On the third disk set a partition as a Frag partition, say 20GB, that's way more than enough. You can set most of your programs to use a custom folder for temp files. If you still want a pagefile, set it there too. .

that will be a nice idea to have a list of volonteer , with their location, who can help member to buld their stuf....I'm on it in case....

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappaj1 (Post 187316)
Any suggestions on what cooler and keyboard/mouse to go with, as well as any links to a i7 system build tutorial would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.:clap: