Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I would not consider runninig Tri Sli 280's with anything less than a 1kW PSU....
Was just thinking the same thing myself, that is alot of power to be drawing off a 850w especially if theres a quad cpu involved. It would be fine for SLI but anything more is deffinetly pushing it.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:54 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by netforce View Post
A decent nvidia card like the GTX 260 core 216 could improve video conversion time dramatically thanks to cuda... look into that...
Except all the software out there that uses CUDA to encode is a joke.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremychan17 View Post
I had looked at the Core 2 Quad processors, but their prices were within $50 of the i7 and I figured that for that much, I would just get the i7. Also, the prices for decent motherboards weren't that much cheaper than the good i7 motherboards. Also, do you think my power supply would support all of my components? The big things I want it to power are the Motherboard, the i7 920, and possibly a future gtx 285.
Well, a P45 motherboard like the ASUS P5Q Pro costs just over $130 plus it has free shipping. This is NCIX btw.

The final decision is up to you. Just don't forget to price match, check the hot deals, and look at the weekly sales from NCIX.

Tril SLI on a TX850 is possible, but it depends on your GPU. I myself would never SLI or Crossfire. I'd rather sell the old card and get a newer, better card, but that's just me. If I really had to do SLI or Crossfire, I'd just do that with 2 cards. That's it. Anything more and some games don't scale well.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alot of us go SLI because it can be cheaper in the long run then trying to sell your old GPU and move up to the next one. You could probubly tri sli on a TX850 up to 9800GTX+/GTS 250s but I wouldnt go anywhere past that.

Anyways thats off topic, I 2nd everything Geo said about price matching and watching prices, also check pricecanada or something of the like and find the lowest prices you can then just get NCIX to pricematch down to those prices.

Lowfat is right about the Cuda comment, Cuda is pretty well only great for folding but if you do any 3d rendering at all GPU hardware rendering in openGL adds a nice bonus although you dont need a GTX 260 to do it.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I myself would never SLI or Crossfire. I'd rather sell the old card and get a newer, better card, but that's just me.
The truth is that nVidia SLI provides for "Maximum" visual settings at "Maximum Resolutions" with very little "hit" to FPS while gaming. As it stands 2 x GTX 280's still outperforms 1 GTX 295, if someone has a single 280, simply purchasing another will provide more "kick" then upgrading to a better "single Card"...as for SLI "issues", I have yet to find them, Nvidia has done well over the past few years.
Quote:
Tril SLI on a TX850 is possible, but it depends on your GPU
anyone that would run 3 x GTX 280's or higher without a minimum PSU 1kW or higher is not very "educated" on Tri Sli requirements for long term stability. Really guys...I don't make this up.....I'm not saying it wopn't work...I'm saying for "how long"...
Old April 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I totaly agree with you RJ your bang on the money. SLI had a bad wrap when it first came out but it has improved ALOT since, nvidia really wants to push it as a cheaper alternative to full upgrades and hense they have put alot of effort into the drivers. And im pretty sure any motherboard that has the TRI SLI option lists the minimum power requirement for tri sli as 1000w or higher, I know my 790i does. When your running 3 cards that more then likely are drawing atleast 200w each at load plus a CPU pulling 150w and a couple hard drives/fans/optical drives and your already near or over 800w. 9800GTXs can take over 200w at max load without overclocking and GTX 280s draw quite a chunk more wattage then a 9800GTX...

Like RJ said, you can do it, but for how long and what happens when it fails?

Old April 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^ +1....thanks Reality....
Old April 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
Rookie

For the foreseeable future, I plan to upgrade to one, maybe two GTX 285s. I will probably not upgrade to three so I think that my 850w will be able to handle those two right?
Quote:
Well, a P45 motherboard like the ASUS P5Q Pro costs just over $130 plus it has free shipping. This is NCIX btw.

The final decision is up to you. Just don't forget to price match, check the hot deals, and look at the weekly sales from NCIX.

Tril SLI on a TX850 is possible, but it depends on your GPU. I myself would never SLI or Crossfire. I'd rather sell the old card and get a newer, better card, but that's just me. If I really had to do SLI or Crossfire, I'd just do that with 2 cards. That's it. Anything more and some games don't scale well.
I had considered that, but I wanted the more robust features of the X48 chipset. The Rampage Formula was one of the motherboards I was looking at, but I never got around to buying it and I figured that for around $280, I could get away with buying an X58 motherboard.
Old April 6, 2009, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Well, thanks all for the help. I have decided to go with this as my build:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz
RAM: OCZ XMP Ready PC12800
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI -A1
CPU Cooler: Thermalright 1366 RT TRUE
Power Supply: Corsair TX850
CD/DVD: Samsung 22x
HD: Western Digital 1TB
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 512 Mb

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old April 6, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremychan17 View Post
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 512 Mb
What
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...