Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2009, 08:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help me decide on a i7 mobo

Hi all i have been lurking on here for a while now, but this has me stumped. I am currently in a build for a i7 machine, and i have picked up almost everything except the mobo. Currently i have the following:
i7 920
gtx 285
6gb corsair dominator 1600's
300gb raptor
true 120 extreme
auzen forte soundcard
pioneer dvd/burner

I can not for the life of me decide on a mobo, i keep bouncing between brands. Upgrade path is important to me as i am planning to go sli at least...my soundcard is pci, and i have been debating the new killer pci nic, and/or dedicated vid for physx. I was set on gigabyte, but i have been hearing a lot of people complaining about reliability. I have looked at asus, but the slots leave somehting to be desired. I have looked at lanparty, same thing as asus for slots. Evga i hear isnt the best overclocker, and it doesnt really have enough slots for me if i end up with sli and 2 cards with 1xpci.
This leaves me with the classified, but now i hear people saying it isnt that great either. The only other choice i see is bloodrage, and while looking to be a good overclocker it doesnt have a ton of upgrade path either. Please help. I want to start experimenting with overclocking too this build. So that is important to me too.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're valways going to hear of folks "not happy" or "negative" comments on just about any product......obviously those that own Evga. gigabyte or Asus are going to be biased, so go through the "reads"...sift throguh the negatives and lookf or the positives...in many cases you'll always see wayyy more "complaints", "issues" or "problems" as apposed to be folks posting about how great their Board / CPU combo OC's...

For what its worth I had my Evga X58 vanilla Board and I7 at 3.8 Ghz very quickly. As for the Slots, you really going to fill all those slots?? I'm going to the Classified now only cause my Step-up allows and I like the looks of the Board...still don't plan on Tri Sli but will likely throw a cheap Card in their for PhysX.

So its simple, either:
1. Asus
2.Evga
3. Gigabyte
4. Foxconn

Pick the one with the best color scheme....kidding...I like Evga Support Forums, all kinds of folks thier to help with just about anything.

Old April 2, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Asus fan, all the boards i have ever bought are from them have been rock solid, good overclockers, support is lacking but so far havent had the need to use them so cant say. Honestly check out the sigs of people with I7 core builds and if you see a Mobo pop out a lot theres a pretty good choice thats a good choice. But im sure theres new boards out now so well 3.0 Charlie is the man im sure hell give yea a good nudge on a good board.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old April 2, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Drooooooooooll

You really can't go wrong with the Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte X58 boards... kinda comes down to personal preference, and slot layout...
Old April 2, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you're not using anything more serious than watercooling, I haven't seen any real evidence that any of the main contenders are going to slow down your overclock by much over another choice.

For slot configuration, you're probably going to have to be more concrete in your longer term goals. If you want room for your PCI sound card, then the Asus P6T Deluxe looks pretty solid in my books, and would keep a spot clear above the top card for a PCI-Ex1 in the future. And if you're running SLI, I"d think you'd have enough power to spare to let them do a little PhysX on the side, without bothering with a third card. By this point, the board is pretty well sorted out, and if you do come across a problem, there's definitely no shortage of other people who also have the same board.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have the P6T Deluxe, but personally I don't like the board layout that much. There's absolutely no way you can crossfire 3 cards, and once you plug in your first video card, you basically lose out on a PCI slot. Plug in another, and you've lost a x16 PCI-Express slot. You're then left with an PCI-E x4 and a PCI slot. One of them will probably be occupied by a sound card. Stick a network card on the last slot and you're out of slots.

Performance wise though, the P6T Deluxe is pretty solid imo.

Old April 2, 2009, 09:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Slot lay-out, NB cooling, Mosfet cooling, board color are the differences between them.

Most boards are SLI / Crossfire compatible, except a few (the Gigabyte UD3R and the DS4 are Crossfire only).

All will oc to similar extents, though I have seen some nice 920 oc on the P6T. You can't go wrong on most of them.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

@Dave510: That's kind of the point, though. This way, even when running SLI/Xfire, you've still got one of each slot available for other expansion cards. Most high-end motherboards these days only have six expansion slots total, and a pair of high-end GPU's will instantly kill four of them. Ultimately, it boils down to what you want those two remaining slots to be, and something like the P6TDel is a fairly decent compromise in that department.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Surprised nobody has mentioned Biostar.. they are a good brand too!
Old April 2, 2009, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
@Dave510: That's kind of the point, though. This way, even when running SLI/Xfire, you've still got one of each slot available for other expansion cards. Most high-end motherboards these days only have six expansion slots total, and a pair of high-end GPU's will instantly kill four of them. Ultimately, it boils down to what you want those two remaining slots to be, and something like the P6TDel is a fairly decent compromise in that department.
What I'm getting at is that the layout of the board basically stops you from ever having 3 card Crossfire, whereas a board like the EVGA X58 SLI gives you the option of going 3-way SLI if you don't mind sacrificing basically all the other slots, and if you don't want 3 way SLI then you will still have an equal amount of slots as a Crossfire or single card P6T Deluxe.

I don't ever plan on ever going 3-way, so that's not important to me. But some people might want that option, and I think P6T Deluxe could've done better in terms of the layout.