Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   IDE instead of SATA... whoops. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/16440-ide-instead-sata-whoops.html)

somecanadianguy April 1, 2009 09:59 PM

IDE instead of SATA... whoops.

Well it looks like I made a bit of a mistake...
I ordered the parts for my build... am waiting on them...
but I chose an IDE dvd burner instead of SATA by mistake.

NCIX.com - Buy LG GH22LP20 Black 22X IDE Lightscribe DVDRW OEM - GH22LP20 BLACK In Canada.

I didn't even notice, and either did anyone else (and if you did ya didn't tell me).

Everything should be here tomorrow... what should I do?
I guess it'll be fine, but I don't know.
Is there a real performance difference between IDE and SATA dvd drives?

Jake_HT April 1, 2009 10:21 PM

I'm going to say no to performance... DVD drives wouldn't max out IDE's architecture, I could be wrong, though...

Try calling them see if you can trade it in or something? It's worth it I personally think.. not because of performance, but because ribbon IDE cables suck ass.

somecanadianguy April 1, 2009 10:25 PM

I ordered from NCIX...
Don't know how to go about an exchange.
Do they do that normally?
I'll be getting the thing here tomorrow and don't know if I should bother trying to ship it back... or if they'd even take it back.
I don't know what I'll do about installing Vista if I have to send it back...
I suppose I could steal the DVD drive from my gf's pc for a while, but I don't really want to do that... not for long anyway.

:doh:

Here's the motherboard I'm getting...

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EX58-UD3R-SLI ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 2PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard - GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI In Canada.

This drive should work, but I wish I'd gotten SATA.
I'm building an i7 system and am a little worried about heat and airflow.

3 of 7 April 1, 2009 11:26 PM

Stick with the ide drive it'll free up an extra sata header for another honkin big HD later. I mean if you don't use it, what WILL you use the ide connector on your mobo for?

Chilly April 1, 2009 11:38 PM

Other than the IDE cable being ugly? You'll be fine, there's no way in hell a DVD drive can saturate ATA133 IDE.

Mr. Gruntsworthy April 2, 2009 08:36 AM

Yeah, the only thing to worry about is the space the clunky f***er takes up.

Realityshift April 2, 2009 10:20 AM

if you use the rounded IDE cables they arent to hard to hide but those ribbon cables blow.

Cptn Vortex April 2, 2009 10:51 AM

I perfer IDE DVD drives to SATA. Less issues when it comes to RAID/Sata controllers being Pissy. And yes, free's up SATA ports for more HD goodness.

lowfat April 2, 2009 11:35 AM

I did the same mistake with my current build. And now I have an IDE burner in my closet lol. I'd rather use a USB burner than have a ribbon ruin the cable management in my case. :bananafunky:

vulcan500rider April 2, 2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 173305)
I perfer IDE DVD drives to SATA. Less issues when it comes to RAID/Sata controllers being Pissy. And yes, free's up SATA ports for more HD goodness.

I'm actually with you on that one; I had a hell of a time initially with my 780i and a SATA DVD drive. I actually needed to add the drivers for the windows install, which I haven't had to do for a dog's age...tracking down a disk drive to use for it was a complete PIA--though I now have one for emergencies, I suppose.