Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
Rookie

Default Don't know where to post this. Thanking a couple of people+ need lil help

Realityshift,+10000
snoosebum,
jdrom17, +10000
Dave510,
ImmaPC,
zlojack
hossdaddy
frontier204
geokilla

I would like to thank those people(^^^^^) for helping me find out the best computer parts that i can afford, specially realityshift and jdrom27. They helped me the most with the build and also, i would like to thank realityshift again.I asked him a lot of questions related and unrelated to the build and he was so cooperative.

I built a computer with these specs from the advice those guys gave me and from looking around in the internet and researching couple of stuff.

ant 902

AMD PHENOM II X4 940 BLACK EDITION 3.0GHZ CACHE=8MB AM2+

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 ATX DDR3 790FX 4PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 eSATA Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

OCZ Reaper OCZ2RPR800C44GK 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 Memory Kit

750 Watt Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM

my ethernet pci is not detecting for some reason. i tried many methods including downloading the drives for everything but when i finished downloading the driver it says please connect in pci slot. i tried using a little bit of force and also took it out and put it back in again and still no use. when i insert the phone cable in it an orange light appears and stays orange. On my old computer it it turns orange then green.

Thanks in advance
Old March 31, 2009, 04:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to see you got it all together :)
My suggestion for the Ethernet not working, is if your Motherboard has onboard, you may have to disable it first, before trying to install one on a PCI slot.

My thoughts at least,

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 31, 2009, 06:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youssef View Post

my ethernet pci is not detecting for some reason. i tried many methods including downloading the drives for everything but when i finished downloading the driver it says please connect in pci slot. i tried using a little bit of force and also took it out and put it back in again and still no use. when i insert the phone cable in it an orange light appears and stays orange. On my old computer it it turns orange then green.

Thanks in advance
As mentioned, you could turn off the on board LAN but I would remove the PCI card and try the on board LAN first. Is there a reason to use the PCI LAN card?

The cable you are plugging in is not a phone cable, though it is very similar, it is a LAN cable, CAT 5 usually. The orange light usually means the connection is there, the green blinking light is usually data transfer indicator.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old March 31, 2009, 07:01 AM
Rookie

sorry guys i think i made an error. I meant the on board one. I never bought an extra one. Ithought that is what it was called but apparently, I'm mistaken.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

No problem, the error message you see when you try to install the drivers, can you write it down and post it here? I don't think it should say anything about PCI slots in it. Did you try the driver on the disc that came with the motherboard? What OS are you running, XP or Vista? Any other info can help.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old March 31, 2009, 07:43 AM
Rookie

I'm using windows xp(32bit version) and installed all the drivers from the support disk. to be honest I'm at school right now so I don't know exactly what it says but from trying so much i remember it saying insert something into the slot then install the driver again or pci not detected.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your welcome.

Though are you sure that motherboard or RAM is correct? One of them must be wrong, as the motherboard is DDR3 and the RAM is DDR2. That wouldn't work.

I'm guessing you got the M4A79 Deluxe (note: no "T"). And if that's the case, get the drivers from the ASUS site. The ones on the CD are most likely way out-dated.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:08 AM
Rookie

yes lol, its the delux edition(m4a79 deluxe) thanks jdrom. i will try to install the drivers again but from the site this time and see what is up. Will report back.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your welcome youssef im glad you got it together =D To be honest ive never even had to install the ethernet drivers for my motherboards before, I normally do afterwards but they always seem to work with the windows built in drivers. Are you sure its all enabled in the bios? Hope you figure it out soon.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:37 PM
HaDeS

try a different cat5 cable yet? Does the network card appear in device manager as installed? Did you install updated chipset drivers? Is there a new bios release? Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ? (this pings the network card itself regardless of ip.)

Onboard lan is normally enabled by default and depending on the board can conflict with other network cards.