Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Your welcome youssef im glad you got it together =D To be honest ive never even had to install the ethernet drivers for my motherboards before, I normally do afterwards but they always seem to work with the windows built in drivers. Are you sure its all enabled in the bios? Hope you figure it out soon.
in bios what am i supposed to change? i followed the booklet step by step and everything worked except the onboard internet. i tried installing other drivers from asus website but still it doesn't detect the drive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
try a different cat5 cable yet? Does the network card appear in device manager as installed? Did you install updated chipset drivers? Is there a new bios release? Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ? (this pings the network card itself regardless of ip.)

Onboard lan is normally enabled by default and depending on the board can conflict with other network cards.
What do you mean by cat5? sorry. the device manager doesn't detect any kind of network at all. don't have a network card i made an error i meant the onboard one

the internet is the only problem i have ever since i built it. like i mentioned before, when i plug in the cable to the back of the computer, orange light apears and stays like that but my computer is not detecting it for some reason. i think its a bios problem not sure.

I bought 15 games from used ottawa and 1 game from futureshop, and i got to tell you this computer is a beast :P (to me atleast)
Old April 1, 2009, 11:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In your Device manager, for the Network 'Card' (onboard obviously) is there a little Yellow Exclamation Point ?
I would also attempt using a different cable if available, and trying that specific cable you are using on a different system just to ensure it is the Onboard Ethernet as opposed to the problem exsiting somewhere else.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Theres a picture of a cat 5 vs phone cable, its kinda fuzzy but you can make out the size and connector difference. just make sure that theres a cat 5 cable running between your cable modem/router and your network adaptor on the back of your new PC. If your getting an orange light id have to think your using the right cable, I think its pretty hard to get any indicators with a phone cord. Another thought is there should be something in your motherboards manual about the indicator lights for your ethernet adapter, maybe it will say in there what an orange light means? also if your using a router make sure you have your cat 5 plugged into one of the slots that says 1-4 and not the one that says modem or whatever it is, or try moving it to another slot if you have one. To me it sounds like your network card is working but the network isnt set up right.

as for bios options it should be in integrated peripherals or something like that and will be listed as onboard LAN and probubly has options like auto or disabled. Or enabled and disabled. Options in bios are commonly named differently from bios to bios so what I see in my bios is most assuredly not the same as yours so im just speculating on the actual name of settings.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
In your Device manager, for the Network 'Card' (onboard obviously) is there a little Yellow Exclamation Point ?
I would also attempt using a different cable if available, and trying that specific cable you are using on a different system just to ensure it is the Onboard Ethernet as opposed to the problem exsiting somewhere else.

Regards,
ST
there wasn't an exclamation mark but i fixed it thanks to you for making me check into the settings and figure out the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Theres a picture of a cat 5 vs phone cable, its kinda fuzzy but you can make out the size and connector difference. just make sure that theres a cat 5 cable running between your cable modem/router and your network adaptor on the back of your new PC. If your getting an orange light id have to think your using the right cable, I think its pretty hard to get any indicators with a phone cord. Another thought is there should be something in your motherboards manual about the indicator lights for your ethernet adapter, maybe it will say in there what an orange light means? also if your using a router make sure you have your cat 5 plugged into one of the slots that says 1-4 and not the one that says modem or whatever it is, or try moving it to another slot if you have one. To me it sounds like your network card is working but the network isnt set up right.

as for bios options it should be in integrated peripherals or something like that and will be listed as onboard LAN and probubly has options like auto or disabled. Or enabled and disabled. Options in bios are commonly named differently from bios to bios so what I see in my bios is most assuredly not the same as yours so im just speculating on the actual name of settings.
you helped me again lol amazing. it was a bios problem. when built the computer and tried to install my drives from the support cd most of them didn't work so i had to update it by transfering files from my old computer(has internet) to the new build. And did the same thing to the onboard lan. but forgot to check the bios again because all the other drivers worked. So when i checked it now the onboard lan was disabled. Thank you alot you guys. i'm so glad im part of this amazing community. One very happy person here. AND THANK YOU REALITYSHIFT everytime you explain something you give me the exact answer that im looking for.

VOTE Realityshift for president
Old April 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol thanks, im just glad you got your rig all fixed up and running ;) and its good to hear that it runs like a beast for you, it should be that way for a good while yet i hope. You should take some pictures of it all together and post them in the case pics section so we can all see it.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:53 PM
Rookie

Ofcourse!. I will definatly do that in couple of days. Thanks again