Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Geforce 9500 GT... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/16184-geforce-9500-gt.html)

somecanadianguy March 25, 2009 07:23 PM

Geforce 9500 GT...

I decided to go with the Geforce 9500 GT in my i7 920 build so I could save some $$$.
A lot of people are saying that it sucks for gaming... are these videos for real?

YouTube - GTA IV Gameplay on GeForce 9500GT (there are other vids there too)

If those are for real then maybe I didn't make such a bad decision after all... would at least get me through until I could afford an upgrade.
What do you guys/gals think? Think these videos are really of a 9500 GT?
I'll find out soon enough what it's capable of...

SKYMTL March 25, 2009 07:39 PM

It sucks for gaming. Unless you are playing at 800 x 600.

Mr. Gruntsworthy March 25, 2009 07:50 PM

The x500's and x600's of the series are generally budget cards; not so great at the 3D aspect. Those card numerations are generally used in HTPC's and business computers with no real need for 3D support.

For gaming, you definitely need to go x800 or higher (IE. 8800, 9800, etc).

I'd like to call false on those videos being from a 9500.

JD March 25, 2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy (Post 169621)
I'd like to call false on those videos being from a 9500.

It's probably 640x480, lowest settings, maybe OC'd too. And then with YouTube compression and what not, makes it appear to look "okay", looks about 15FPS or so. Definitely not 30.

somecanadianguy March 25, 2009 08:25 PM

Well I will be sure to let you know when I get mine...
Maybe I'll post some videos.

geokilla March 25, 2009 08:54 PM

Why did you pair a 9500GT with a Core i7 if you're using the system for gaming? It makes NO SENSE whatsoever. Or are you using it for non-gaming purposes like intense photoshop and stuff?

Realityshift March 25, 2009 10:15 PM

Its already been sudgested to him in his build thread that it wasnt the best idea, up to the point of him buying it he was going with a GTX260... Anyways he wants to be able to play oblivion and its been sugested to him by another poster that that will be possible on this card, I have my doubts unless hes gaming at 800x600 but we shall see I guess.

AnandTech: NVIDIA 9500 GT: Mainstream Graphics Update

oh sorry looks like playable frames up to 1024 but at lower graphics settings.

ImmaPC March 25, 2009 11:43 PM

I was able to get around 25-30 frames in Oblivion at 1024x768 with everything on...high...I believe it was with my 8600GT, which is approximately same as 9500GT, I believe. Generally the gameplay was fairly choppy and not too enjoyable at all, I had to switch settings to medium in many situations.

somecanadianguy March 25, 2009 11:53 PM

I'm not planning on doing much gaming right away. This system is mostly for art, graphic design, ect... which I'm hoping will bring me more money now that I'll have a competitive computer. I'm planning on a vidcard upgrade in a few months... maybe 6... then I can get more serious about gaming again. Going with this card allowed me to add a monitor, a wacom tablet, and a few other goodies with almost enough left over for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. I know that there are other cards at this price that I could have gotten, and sure I am thinking I may have made a mistake. However, if that is the case I don't think it's a very big mistake.

Prof. Dr. Silver March 26, 2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somecanadianguy (Post 169737)
I'm not planning on doing much gaming right away. This system is mostly for art, graphic design, ect... which I'm hoping will bring me more money now that I'll have a competitive computer. I'm planning on a vidcard upgrade in a few months... maybe 6... then I can get more serious about gaming again. Going with this card allowed me to add a monitor, a wacom tablet, and a few other goodies with almost enough left over for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. I know that there are other cards at this price that I could have gotten, and sure I am thinking I may have made a mistake. However, if that is the case I don't think it's a very big mistake.

Are you aware of the fact that the newer photo/video software programs are capable of using the cores in your videocard for rendering/processing??? This means that the better your GPU is the faster your rendering gets done! A little food for thought....