Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2009, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

Default Is It Worth Getting Two Hard Drives?

Hello everyone, I've always wondered if it really increases performance to have the OS running off one hard drive and have your games and files on a second hard drive, or is it just personal preference to be more organized and such? I will be using a Western Digital Caviar Black 640 gig and I was debating whether or not to buy a second one.
Old March 22, 2009, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

I just had the same debate...So, I splurged and got one...Now I've got three of them running in RAID 0...now that's speed!

As for a massive performance increase by having your OS on one drive and programs on a second drive, it's there, but it's small....
Asus Rampage II GENE Motherboard
2 x Asus GTX 285 in SLI (710/1617/2700)
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU
HP 30" 2560x1600, G19, G7, M-Audio Q40 Headset

Old March 22, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

better to have 1 small and others for storage.

I have a 250 for my OS drive and 2x500 for data.
Old March 22, 2009, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Has the benefits of Raid 0 changed recently because not more than a year or two ago? The benefits were almost nothing, less than 10% and in some applications the performane was 1-2% slower.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect

I wont be running anything in RAID 0. Only two SATA hard drives. I was thinking of buying a 250 but I'm trying to find one as fast as the WD Caviar Black 640gb.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykC View Post
Has the benefits of Raid 0 changed recently because not more than a year or two ago? The benefits were almost nothing, less than 10% and in some applications the performane was 1-2% slower.

Not really. raid 0 is overhyped at best when it comes to platter based drives (SSD...thats another matter all together ;) ) especially when its fake raid. Great for synth test scores, but at the cost of latency and reliability. That being said 3 fast drives in raid 0 will perform better than 1...usually ;)

Back to OPs question. With the cost of hdds so cheap why not get a second one? Heck I have 1 OS drive and 4 for data. Makes for nice and small Acronis backup images (and I have another drive that I clone from time to time as a real time backup in case of OS drive failure) :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 22, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

I really know nothing about all this stuff haha, so why the green for the OS and not black series?
Also would there be a way to maybe format the second drive to be as organized as the OS hard drive? For example, my current pc is running two Seagate 500 gig hard drives and when ever I install a game to the second one its all unorganized and I have to manually create a folder for that game so that all the setup files aren't scattered across the hard drive.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Three hard drives in RAID 0 is a major "FTW" moment. Just thought I'd say that. I'm also all jacked up on caffeine, so I have a harder time trying to stop my rather ADD impulses than normal...

Think of RAID 0 this way. Other than being a bit of an extravagance, it is actually beneficial for anyone who wants better read and write times. Much better read and write times. While one drive is looking for bit o' data #1, the other hard drive is already moving towards bit o' data #2. Imagine hard drives as a big room full of filing cabinets, and the equation is even simpler. You have two people in there searching for whatever you asked for, not just one.

The one major gripe with people who don't want to use RAID 0 is that if either drive decides to die on you, all files on both drives are screwed. Really, it's just like having one, really good drive that died on you. Still painful, and yes, there may be tears, but as long as you back everything up properly, be ready for a whole new and fun world of speed.
Old March 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco_360 View Post
I really know nothing about all this stuff haha, so why the green for the OS and not black series?
Also would there be a way to maybe format the second drive to be as organized as the OS hard drive? For example, my current pc is running two Seagate 500 gig hard drives and when ever I install a game to the second one its all unorganized and I have to manually create a folder for that game so that all the setup files aren't scattered across the hard drive.
I yanked that bit from my response as I didn't want to muddy the waters ;)

BUT as a DATA only drive the greens make less noise and use less power. 640gb as a program install and OS drive w/ D data drive is a great combo. This is how I set up my systems as my OS and installed progs is only 100Gb or less (usually 60GB or less), BUT I have TBs of data ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 22, 2009, 06:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have two Raptors in Raid 0..fun to do and try, but as for cost/performance its not really worth it. Not to mention you better have a good back-up procedure.

Usually, I pick the fastest hard drive for the OS drive, and then you can dump your music, movies, etc on the slower drive.
Fold for team #54196