Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Default New build

I will be purchasing a new core i 7 system from a local custom store and i have it mostly figured out but some minor tweakings. I'm within budget but i am married and therefore cheaper is always better. I will post my ideal system with the cheaper alternates below. If there is nothing wrong with the cheaper alternates i have been instructed to go with them. I'm also looking at longevity and future upgradability. All prices are after taxes.

I will be using this system for gaming (crysis, far cry 2, cod 4, cod waw, etc) at 1680x1050 maybe 1920x1080 depending upon monitor but thats a diff thread.

CASE Cooler Master - Cosmos S $313.6
FANS Scythe - S-FLEX™ S-FDB 120mm Quiet Fan, High Flow X2 $44.78
CPU Intel - Core™ i7 Processor 920 $419.99
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte - GA-EX58-UD5 $414.39
RAM OCZ - 6GB PC3-12800 Platinum Edition $179.19
HDD Western Digital - 640GB Caviar Black $106.39
OPTICAL DRIVESamsung - SH-S223Q $33.59
GPU BFG - GeForce GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE 55 $330.39
PSU PC Power and Cooling - Silencer 750 $167.99
TOTAL $2010.29
Fan Controller scythe kama meter to come later depending upon noise level

ALTERNATES
CASE Cooler Master - CM 690 $117.59
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte - GA-EX58-DS4 $313.59
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte - GA-EX58-UD4P havent got price yet but should be around $380
MOTHERBOARD Asus - P6T X58 $358.39
RAM Patriot - Extreme Performance Viper Series DDR3 6GB $201.59 was cheaper than the OCZ but the OCZ droped in price by $70

Im leaning towards the cosmos s because of its size over the cm 690. The case will probably be around for a couple of builds and not just this one. I want something that will have plenty of room for future growth. However the cosmos s doesn't fit under my desk and the cm 690 does.

Im leaning towards the UD4P but my local supplier doesnt stock it and havent heard back about a final price or availability. I could get it somewhere else but after shiping its the same cost as the UD5. Therefore im leaning towards the UD5. I may or may not be going sli (Not likely) in the future and id like to have that option but most people seem to be recommending the fastest single cards and not sli so therefore the DS4 has a chance. Is it worth it to have the option of SLI or save a $100

I am leaning towards the OCZ ram and now that its cheaper today by $70 than yesterday i really like it. It will proabably be a month till purchase so prices will change somewhat.

The cheapest total is $1713.59

I will be purchasing from Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Canada's Source for Computers, Laptops, Monitors & more...

What would you guys recommend and if theres anything diff i would like to hear it. Thanks for everything

MSF
Old March 17, 2009, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

Welcome to HWCs...I'm also in the process of building myself a computer on a budget very similar to you. I really like the build you have put together but you can get many of the parts that you listed at better prices buy using various search engines(Compare prices - Canada - Price Comparison - Comparison Shopping). I imagine the local retailer would be able to match some prices for you or if you have time you might be able to make a trip to Winnipeg.

As for changing anything if you are looking for a big case make sure you check out the Cooler Master HAF 932. The case is huge and has great airflow throughout. THe only downside really is the lack of dust filters but that can be creativley fixed by using some pantyhose

Canada Computers - Cases > Full/Server Towers : Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX Case (RC-932-KKN1-GP).

If you are looking at doing some Overclocking you might want to look at picking up heatsink. I know the TRUE is highly recommended and is the cooling solution I went with.

NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM - ULTRA-120-1366RT In Canada.

CANADA KICKS ASS GAMING CLAN

Old March 17, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC!....have a look at this thread Building an i7 PC with $2000
I just priced out almost the same system for another member :)

Old March 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
Rookie

have any of you guys heard of xpress canada. Got a lead on a really cheap Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P for 310 after taxes and shipping?
Old March 17, 2009, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it just me, or is that place overpriced compared to NCIX, Canada Computers, etc.

Xpress Canada is the online-only version of Canada Computers. It's cheaper than CC but not as cheap as NCIX imo.
Old March 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are owned by Canada Computers. I can't say I've heard alot but what have heard frankly isn't that good in terms of customer service after sale and RMA's. I've heard from 2 people that their shipping experience was a nightmare!...it took over a week for the items to get shipped after the order was placed and items were apparently not packed very well, not damaged but sloppy packing job. That said, I now work for Canada Computers and I can only hope those were isolated incidents and that starting up the new company may still have some hickups in it.

Old March 17, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Is it just me, or is that place overpriced compared to NCIX, Canada Computers, etc.

Xpress Canada is the online-only version of Canada Computers. It's cheaper than CC but not as cheap as NCIX imo.
NCIX shows it at $334.88 and CC is $291.99....both are plus tx and shipping

Old March 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
Top Prospect

You could PM the core i7 from either directcanada.ca or bestdirect.ca if you use NCIX.
Old March 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
Rookie

Heres a really good question. This build is supposed to last me 4 to 5 years of gaming or longer. Other than replacing dead components over that time (hopefully none) would i be better to do a phenon II 940 system with a gtx 285 or 295 or would i be better of with the gtx 280/5 and upgrade the gpu in 2 or 3 years? and if so what components would you recommend?

Thanks
MSF

P.S. what does the future of PCIe x16 2.0 look like?
Old March 18, 2009, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Alas, I cannot predict what the Future of 2.0 PCI-e will bring, nor can anyone else say for any certainty. However, if the next Generation is much like PCI-e 2.0 then it will be backwards compatiable.

That being said, I'm going to Aim somewhere inbetween for a Case choice.
And that would be either the Element by Thermaltake , or the HAF 932. Finding both will save you at least 100 or more from the Cosmos S and both are really good designs IMO.

I would vote Corsair for the Memory, although I don't know if you'll be able to find it cheaper than the OCZ stuff, that is just a personal preferance of mine.
And, I doubt any build even nowadays will stand the test of time for 4-5 years.
You could possibly squeeze out of it 3 years, but beyond that is stretching it.

My thoughts at least,

GOod luck on the Build.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com