LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
A few thoughts:

If you look at actual tests, the difference between the less-expensive Swiftech rads and the more expensive Feser/Thermochill/XSPC radiators is surprisingly small, especially when you consider some of the hype (as I look over at my three Thermochill rads ).

The Micro-Res is a great reservoir. Size for size, it bleeds faster than any pretty much any other reservoir I've seen. The XSPC restop is also very good (and compact), although bleeding is going to take a little longer.

The MCP655 is an excellent pump, and the standard version has a speed-adjustment which lets you slow it down if you're really serious about keeping noise down. The two disadvantages are its size, and the fact that it tends to add a little more heat (10-20W extra, which really isn't that much) to the water compared to some other pumps. But when you compare the price of a MCP350/55 + an aftermarket top, it's a pretty good deal. Regardless of what pump you use, you NEED to isolate the vibrations. Multiple layers of foam/gel, or even cable suspension are your best bets, otherwise even a low-powered pump will turn the solidest case into a sound box.
I found putting a 1/8" piece of cork between my mount and the case wall has completely deadened my vibrations.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm kind of surprised, actually. My MCP355 would still try to vibrate right through a 1/4" of foam. Had to switch to some gel-stuff to kill the vibes for good.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I'm kind of surprised, actually. My MCP355 would still try to vibrate right through a 1/4" of foam. Had to switch to some gel-stuff to kill the vibes for good.
Petras gel?
Never tried that yet.
I was using the stock 1/4 foam that comes with the 655 and could still hear it slightly over the rest of my rig. Now with just the pump running ( jumped PSU) all I can hear is the slight rush of water. With my rig fully running the pump is dead silent.
I would be happy to send out a 6" square if you want to try it out? If so send me a PM with your addy.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ive decide to add a P35 chipset cooler now, after seeing Charlies rig...suggestions welcome on brand! ;)

So Directcanada is the cheapest for most of the parts, but I'm having a real tough time locating a 2x rad. Its either 1 or 3 at most of these places. Feser Ones 220`s are on backorder at NCIX...and I hate NCIX's reliability with back orders (I had to wait nearly 16 WEEKS to get my 2.5" external to 3.5" drive bay kit...) so Id rather get something instock. Dont get me wrong. I have never had an issue with NCIX instock (and they have the $10 free shipping giftcards still!) but I dont want backordered stuff from them.

I'm going to PM Direct Canada to NCIX, or get it all from Direct Canada, so I need instock 2x120 rads, they dont have Tchills, Fesers, or Swiftechs...Unless someone else knows a place that will pricematch Direct Canada and has this crap instock (I'm using shopbot.ca). Either that or I go back to the Swiftech MCR320 rad and just mod the top of my case...

*sigh* there is always one hangup isnt there?

I`m switching back to the Swiftech Micro-res v2 for space, ease of filling and bleeding:
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings - DirectCanada

Thus, I`m also going with the 655, since I would have to hardmod a 355 to half barbs:
Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs - DirectCanada

CPU:
Swiftech APOGEE GTZ LGA775 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Barb Fittings - DirectCanada

Chipset: ...

Rad: ...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 17, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also: Why the hell are MCP355's cheaper then 350s? No point in buying one and modding it I guess!

NCIX has a good combo deal on for a GTZ block and 655 pump, works out to be 5 bucks cheaper then PM'd DirectCanada price:
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Bundle Deal Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU Water Block & MCP655 Pump - APOGEE-GTZ-MCP655 In Canada.

So, I'm going to pick that up and PM the Res/Rad/Chipset...once I decide on the chipset/rad
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

You want to go water on your northbridge?

If so, either Swiftech's MCW30 (cheap, effective and free-flowing) or EK's NB-SB5 universal block (more expensive, but better looking).

Old March 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Nice Charlie, I see why you like the parts choices

So you think the 120.2 will cover your 2x260's, 920 and northbridge? Then I'll be fine with a double, you're right. Also, I assume you have the side modded to vent outwards from the Rad? Or are you just using the front intake to cool it? Seems like there wouldnt be alot of airflow over the fins, just past...You must have it sidemodded!

MpG: Swiftech rad it is. As to your comment about the 655, you may be right when you say in comparison to a 350+top its the same, but I would still need a res/t-line if I go that route, which adds to the cost again. Plus as Charlie said, I dont need to go that big for my setup of CPU & maybe GPU (currently) to CPU/GPU/NB down the road.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it comming, I'm going to start price shopping for the things I know I'm getting, and the ones I may get
It's not modded yet, running both side panels off. But it will be once it's hotter in the garage. I'll be adding dual AC Ryan grills.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, Ive checked all over for 120.2 and MCR220 rads. I'm giving up and just going with a Swiftech 320, since I cant even get a 120.3 from NCIX...

I also added in a GPU block too, figured I might as well. Its only 50 bucks!

So, here is my final list; Please Critique it, and see if I'm missing anything. Remember, I have absolutely NO watercooling gear. Is there anything I'm missing? The only thing I do have is thread tape, a couple extra 120 fans, and hose clamps from work ...

I'm pricematching everything to DirectCanada.ca, minus the GTZ/Pump combo, which is cheaper then PM'ing both.

Res:
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings - MCRES-Micro Rev2 In Canada.
Pricematched to $22.87, regular 29.70

Pump & CPU:
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Water Cooling Bundle Deal Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU Water Block & MCP655 Pump - APOGEE-GTZ-MCP655 In Canada.
Cheapest I could find was $~157, for both, so this is a steal!

P5K Chipset:
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Waterblock for Most AMD & Intel Motherboards 1/2IN &3/8IN Barbs - MCW30 In Canada.
Pricematched to $25.04 from 29.99

Rad:
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - MCR320-QP-K In Canada.
Pricematched to $65.97 from 69.99

GPU Block (Probably for my GTX that has a busted fan, and leave the GT stock):
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MCW60-R2 GPU Water Block for Most NVIDIA & ATI Video Cards 1/2 & 3/8 & 1/4 Barb Fittings - MCW60-R2 In Canada.
Pricematched to $46.28 from 55.34

Coolant (On sale!):
NCIX.com - Buy Feser One Fluid UV Black NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement for Liquid Cooling - 4 260119 640092 In Canada.
$14.99

Tubing:
NCIX.com - Buy Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Clear 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet) - PFLEXP10-34 In Canada.
Pricematched to $17.28 from 19.99

Coils:
NCIX.com - Buy Primochill 3/4IN ANTI-KINK Tube Coils - for 3/4 Inch OD Tubing - UV Red - PCC-34-UVR In Canada.
Pricematched to $3.24 from $7.49

Total: 347.28 before Taxes and shipping.

Not too far off my budget, considering I added in a GPU block too!

So....Comments?
Quote:
Old March 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The block, res and rad come with plastic barbs, and I do not recommend those. They break too easily. Choose those instead: NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower G1/4 High Flow 1/2IN Barb Fittings for 1/2IN ID Tubing (Pair) - BP20065 In Canada.. They come in pairs, and since they have an o-ring, you don't need teflon tape. Simply don't over-torque the barbs when you install them. You'll need 5 pairs - the pump's barbs cannot be changed.

As for coils, I never had any use for them. When you route the tubing, use the natural bend in it to prevent any kinks.

One last thing, if you use the MCW60, you will need some ramsinks. These for the ram (NCIX.com - Buy Zalman ZM-RHS1 Video Card RAM Sink 8 Pack W/ Thermal Tape - ZM-RHS1 In Canada.) and those for the Mosfets (NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MC21 Aluminum Heatsinks for 8800 Mosfets and Other APPLICATIONS. - MC21 In Canada.).

edit: I don't use anything else other than tye-wraps to secure the tube ends on the barbs. Quick, clean and easy to install.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you are dead set on coloured fluid, I recommend getting the Feser additive since you can make the system as dark or as light as you want it.

Other than that, great build! You're gonna enjoy it.