Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 07:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default It's very shiny. You might need sunglasses.

This build of mine, I mean. It's shiny. It's also my first attempt at building a computer from scratch. I am confident in my abilities, as far as computers go, but I probably still have a few noob questions packed away in my head somewhere. I just will not realize their true nature until people start laughing at me.

That's fine, though. It's a good way to learn.

As for my build, I'd like to run it by you all here, and see what you think. I do have one or two good questions for you, but that comes after the list. Please note that none of it has even been bought yet, and is therefore subject to change.

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
M/B: EVGA's X58
CPU: Intel i7 965
RAM: Corsair Dominator, PC12800, 3x2GB
Graphics: 2x EVGA GTX 285
Sound: Creative's Fatal1ty Champion, Titanium
PSU: Corsair 1000W
HDD's: 3x Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB, RAID 0
Heatsink: CoolerMaster V-10
TIM: Arctic Silver 5

Monitor: LG W3000H-Bn 30"
Keyboard: Logitech G-15
Mouse: Logitech G-5
Headset: Logitech G-35

In all, this setup runs me up to around $4,650 USD.

The wallet definitely loses a few pounds, but the original price cap I had placed on myself was actually $6000, so I'm doing rather well. I must admit that it was rather difficult to allow myself to go over $3000, but once I passed that mark by about a hundred or so, adding a "little more" here and there was easy.

Never had anything considered very high-end before, and that's why I went with the i7 965. Just to say I have one, yes, that's right. Also, I want something at least marginally future-proof, regardless of the 32nm processors Intel is threatening to unleash.

Ah, yes. My questions for you, the HWC community, and possibly someone who actually works in HWC.

I need to know, does the V-10 even fit on that board? I'm worried about the heatsinks on the EVGA board interfering with that monster, and I want to know if they'll be able to play nice or not.

If it doesn't, I'll be reverting to my original water-cooling plan. I do plan to OC, either way.

I would also specifically like feedback on my HDD and monitor choices, and anyone's opinion on what a good choice of speakers would be.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions at all, about anything (relevant or not, I don't mind), please let me know. I'd enjoy your input.

There's still a good bit of time until I get the chance to build this computer, so there's no hurry. I have to wait until I get back to the U.S. before I even order any of these parts.

*edit*
I apologize, I forgot a couple of the criteria from the rules. It will be used primarily for gaming, with either a M$ OS or a Linux based one. It has approximately another two months left to mature, as that is when I return to the United States. So, it will be built sometime in May.

Last edited by crispex; March 13, 2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's awesome that you have those three 640gb drives. Raid works great; but I do suggest you grab another drive of sorts for storage/installation of games. Raid is wonderful for your OS etc but it'll really help if you stick non-os things on another drive.

+1 for that 965; I know exactly how you feel - I give you a lot of credit for actually paying for it (since I didn't) because I definitely wouldn't be able to foot the bill for one otherwise. I hope you enjoy it a lot and do not let anyone here talk you out of it! :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, looks good, except that you might want to change the cooler. The review from HWC showed that the V10 doesn't work that well, especially for the price tag and size.

Also, I like that 965 chip you have there.. You wanna trade it for my 920? I promise you, they'll perform the same. (Back me up, people, the chip will go towards my kick-ass persona.. err, folding rig. )
Old March 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go with a custom watercooled setup IMO, and I hate creatives cards they will never get another $ out of me.

I'll second a secondary apps drive.

Drop the as5 grab some mx-2 it is nonconductive and should squeezeout a degree or 2.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, yes, I saw that review, and i recognize that the V-10 does not have a very good price:power (ability?) ratio.

That said, I love the way that thing looks, and I like the fact that it will place a 120mm fan almost directly on top of my RAM, which I plan to clock up to around 1800MHz or so.

Also, it did get a couple very nice looking temps on the HWC review, so I picked it over water-cooling. I'm normally very frugal, and I guess that that part of me is what made me choose the V-10 over an actual water-based solution.

I will likely add another HDD, as well. I'd been considering it, but hadn't made a choice yet. Probably a big TB or two.

I still want to know if the V-10 even fits in the first place.

Thanks for the input so far! Keep it coming, please!

As for you, Infiniti.Nice touch with the ninja!

No touching my 965! (I've heard there are 975's coming out, anyway. I might hop on that boat.)

*edit*
What's wrong with creative's cards? i've never had a problem. do tell, please.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
SanjoTHEBanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
Well, yes, I saw that review, and i recognize that the V-10 does not have a very good price:power (ability?) ratio.

That said, I love the way that thing looks, and I like the fact that it will place a 120mm fan almost directly on top of my RAM, which I plan to clock up to around 1800MHz or so.

Also, it did get a couple very nice looking temps on the HWC review, so I picked it over water-cooling. I'm normally very frugal, and I guess that that part of me is what made me choose the V-10 over an actual water-based solution.

I will likely add another HDD, as well. I'd been considering it, but hadn't made a choice yet. Probably a big TB or two.

I still want to know if the V-10 even fits in the first place.

Thanks for the input so far! Keep it coming, please!

As for you, Infiniti.Nice touch with the ninja!

No touching my 965! (I've heard there are 975's coming out, anyway. I might hop on that boat.)

*edit*
What's wrong with creative's cards? i've never had a problem. do tell, please.
creative cards are all drivers based and don't do much.

aka there junk. a 20 dollar turtle beach card would do the same as a 200 dollar creative card take away the ambient noise... the crystalizer is usless if u have hih quality mp3 256 kpbs so... yah..
Old March 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I second the Creatives cards, ive had SOO many problems with their software in the past id rather go with Asus =P I dont think ive ever owned a creative card (other then a soundblaster 16) that worked the way I wanted it too, ive always ended up selling them and just going with onboard. And ontop of that I will never buy something with another gamers name branded on it... Fatality is not that great that I want his name all over MY gaming gear, get real man. Other then that you did a good job at planning out your parts, I to have a soft spot for the V10s looks I just couldnt drop the dimes on it, its a little to pricey for its own good. but W/C can be a bit of a pain to set up and maintain, air cooling isnt all bad.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hmm, I see. So they're completely driver based? I'd never heard that before.

I really wanted this particular Creative card for the front I/O panel that comes with it. Has nice, easy knobs and jacks, all right there on the front.

I enjoyed the last card i had from them, a Soundblaster Audigy something-or-other.

Thanks for letting me know about that driver thing, I'll definitely be looking into that. Don't want to spend good money for a useless space-hog of a card.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Most cases come with Headphone/microphone jacks on the front, most keyboards come with volume controls, what else do you need?

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is why I will never buy creative again, plus the crackle issue I had in vista.

The saga of Daniel K