Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Default New Build Feedback

Hello everyone! Ive been cruising this forum for a couple of days now trying read up on the parts for my new build and the info that I've found here has been pretty top notch. I am currently getting ready to order the parts for my new computer and I wanted to get some feedback on it. I will be using this rig mainly for gaming with some video editing on the side and I really don't want to spend over $2200 (before rebates). Thx ahead of time for any comments!

Purposed System Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (I'll probably OC)
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 4870 X2
Mobo: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58
Memory: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (Model = OCZ3P1600LV6GK)
Hard Drives: (2x) WD VelociRaptor 150Gb
Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840
Power Supply: Antec Signature SG850 850W
Cpu Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express
Disk Drives: (2x) LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA

Also, one of my friends suggested that I get a raid controller card instead of relying on the mobo. Is that really necessary?
Old March 13, 2009, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice parts.

No, a raid card is not necessary. Unless you spend $300 or more, the cheap raid cards are all software raid, and are no faster than the onboard raid.

Also, you could save yourself some coin by using WD 640gb Caviar Blacks, they are almost as fast as the Velociraptors and certainly much quieter.
Old March 13, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah good looking build, and I too will recommend the WD Caviar black 640gb over the raptors anyday.. WAY cheaper, barely slower, quieter, and much more space. Trust us on that one!
And you could get a smaller PSU to save money since you're just using 1 video card (although it does take some power, not quite that much) .. Most people recommend corsair 750, I recommend PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w.

Last edited by Jake_HT; March 13, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into the WD Caviar Black.
On another note, would two GTX 260 core 216's in SLI be a better buy then a 4870x2?
Old March 14, 2009, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Most people recommend corsair 750, I recommend PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w.
Both good power supplies I would recommend either.

as for 260 sli vs 4870x2 its up in the air, their back and for with performance, it depends on the games you play, the 260 vanilla in sli beat out the 4870x2 in crysis... But since your going with an EVGA board with SLI it might be worth it so that down the road you can either step up your cards (within 3 months) or drop another card in for tri.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelantos View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into the WD Caviar Black.
On another note, would two GTX 260 core 216's in SLI be a better buy then a 4870x2?
i believe the ATI 4870x2 will win in ultra higher resolutions.

Either way they should be the same, but most games flavor nvida gpus

Last edited by Silvgearx; March 14, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:22 AM
HaDeS

I would opt out of the xonar and go with any of the auzentech sound cards. Asus tried to make the jump into gaming and failed badly.. their driver support isn't great either. I've tried both of the xonar cards.. the dx and dx2 both failed imo. Most of my games crashed 5-10 minutes in. Full on hardlock.

If you check the Asus forums on the xonar there's a ton of really pissed of buyers.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

+1 for the 640 Blacks
+1 for the 750W PC P&C
Yes, you'll get better performance out of 2 x GTX 260 Core 216's - I'd personally pass on those 4870 x2 Cards, not a fan at all of dual PCB Cards.

Have fun with the build!

Old March 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yes, you'll get better performance out of 2 x GTX 260 Core 216's - I'd personally pass on those 4870 x2 Cards, not a fan at all of dual PCB Cards.
How is the HD4870X2 dual PCB? It's a single PCB with both chips side by side. ATI isn't stupid like NVIDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
I would opt out of the xonar and go with any of the auzentech sound cards. Asus tried to make the jump into gaming and failed badly.. their driver support isn't great either. I've tried both of the xonar cards.. the dx and dx2 both failed imo. Most of my games crashed 5-10 minutes in. Full on hardlock.

If you check the Asus forums on the xonar there's a ton of really pissed of buyers.
My Xonar DX (PCIe) works fine in Vista Ultimate x64.

With the stock drivers or the modded STX drivers, either way it works fine. I don't see how all of Auzentech's stuff would be better since most of their cards are based on CMedia chipsets as well (that's what the Xonars use), and the drivers all come from CMedia.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
How is the HD4870X2 dual PCB? It's a single PCB with both chips side by side. ATI isn't stupid like NVIDIA
Sorry JDROM my mistake...should have said "Dual Call It What You Like" Boards......and yes...we all know how "stupid" the nVidia Corp is....