Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 02:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

Honestly, I'm wanting to say troll, I really do. He keeps pushing the thread off topic and tries to make an argument out of everything, not to mention he seems to only care about Crysis, which has basically become a meme (albeit a bad one) of it's own. Thread should be locked, but that's just my two cents.

But, in keeping with the spirit of the Canuck, on topic. Only water cooling the CPU, no Blu-ray drive, and not to mention only a i7 920. Not quite as extreme as you make it out to be.

Anywho, I do stand by everyone stay quad cards is really a waste, the performance gain is just not worth it, and I doubt you'll ever see the extra cards used anytime soon. Honestly speaking, I would rather take the money from even two of those cards and watercool the full system, allowing you much more room to OC and get better performance out of it.

Old March 12, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i wounldn't really said quads are usless/waste , but its all about personal choices. I do prefer Duals cores that screams at high clock speeds

PFFFT crysis, just you wait, the next gen GPUs is gonna eat you for Dinner
Old March 12, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
the next gen GPUs is gonna eat you for Dinner
Like playing doom3 on a GTX280 =P Hes not planning on watercooling even the CPU but I do second that idea, the cost of 1 of those GPUs would pay for an entire water cooling system, or atleast most of it. Plus with volt moding enabled on the GTXs you could probubly get some serious clocks out of a 295.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I7 920 OC'd vs Duo Core E8400 OC'd - gaming

FC2 - 1920 x 1200 - All Ultra - No AA
E8400 @ 4.05 Ghz w GTX 280 x 2 SLI = Approx. 73 FPS
I7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz w GTX 280 x 2 SLI = Approx. 101 FPS

My OC'd I7 absolutely annihilates my OC'd Duo Core E8400, thats obvious in the two numbers above.....Sorry, as I read through this Thread someone had posted about an E8400 being a better "gaming Chip"...cannot disagree enough with that comment.

As for the Duo GTX 295 Quad SLI.....I certainly would not consider dropping that kind of $$$ on yet another nVidia attempt at a "Duo PCB Solution"....God thier have already been two failures.....yet folks get "sucked in"....likley in about 3 months time there will be a GTX 3xxx Series Single Card solution that will "knock the socks off" the GTX 295....I'd pick up a couple GTX 285's and set up a SLI Rig...hold off and perhaps "step-up" to the new GTX 3xxx Series...provided your Step-up does not expire. Honestly, on your 1920 x 1200 Res monitor the GTX 285 SLI will be more than sufficient!!

Good luck with that build, although not "extreme'...its more than an "average" build :)
Old March 12, 2009, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

^^^^^ If you really wanted to go Extreme ^^^^
CPU:Core i7 920 (Batch#3841A)
RAM:6BG Aeneon DDR3-1866MHz
GPU:EVGA GTX 285
DATA HDD:Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black (x2 soon)
OPTICAL:LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
PSU:Corsair HX1000W Modular
WATERBLOCK:???
RES:Swiftech
PUMP:Swiftech MCP655
Display: Sony 40" w series 1080p + Dell 2209WA
Old March 12, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That is a beautifull motherboard! and I see a 1x pci-E above the video cards again =D

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
SanjoTHEBanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Honestly, I'm wanting to say troll, I really do. He keeps pushing the thread off topic and tries to make an argument out of everything, not to mention he seems to only care about Crysis, which has basically become a meme (albeit a bad one) of it's own. Thread should be locked, but that's just my two cents.

But, in keeping with the spirit of the Canuck, on topic. Only water cooling the CPU, no Blu-ray drive, and not to mention only a i7 920. Not quite as extreme as you make it out to be.

Anywho, I do stand by everyone stay quad cards is really a waste, the performance gain is just not worth it, and I doubt you'll ever see the extra cards used anytime soon. Honestly speaking, I would rather take the money from even two of those cards and watercool the full system, allowing you much more room to OC and get better performance out of it.
im wanting to say troll too. you no whats funny is if i posted this rig with a i7 965 i would have had people making fun of me because im wasting money on it yet i dont and im geting flamed because i diddnt.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
That is a beautifull motherboard! and I see a 1x pci-E above the video cards again =D
For $450 US it better be pretty!

Sanjo- your going to get mixed opinions on pretty much everything. As stated earlier, you need to take opinions with a grain of salt and then just move on bud
CPU:Core i7 920 (Batch#3841A)
RAM:6BG Aeneon DDR3-1866MHz
GPU:EVGA GTX 285
DATA HDD:Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black (x2 soon)
OPTICAL:LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
PSU:Corsair HX1000W Modular
WATERBLOCK:???
RES:Swiftech
PUMP:Swiftech MCP655
Display: Sony 40" w series 1080p + Dell 2209WA
Old March 12, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
im wanting to say troll too. you no whats funny is if i posted this rig with a i7 965 i would have had people making fun of me because im wasting money on it yet i dont and im geting flamed because i diddnt.
Ah don't sweat it thier Banjo.....your Rig will be very sweet indeed.....lots of "opinions" on HC...and you have to take the criticism in a "light n constructive" manner...definitely don't take it to heart. Thier are always going to be those that like n dislike anyones choices of Hardware, thats the way it is. I will say though, that there is a ton of experience here with all sorts of Hardware, so you'd be wise to make "use of the Resources".

With that said....I got "slammed" pretty good on here as I always "backed up" my Nvidia Chipset choice...but, you just can't let it get to you and start a "mini war"...we all have our choices , but most of all...we "respect" each others choices.

Now..as I mentioned above...you want Crysis..that Rig you have will run Crysis just fine with a GTX 285 SLI set-up on a 1920 x 1200 Res..my 280 SLI pushes around 65 - 70 FPS at 1920 x 1200 and the 285 is slightly better.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow.

Welcome to my ignore list banjo. Great start you've got off to here.

Credit to the mods, my button would be itchy.

Good luck with the build.

Closed Thread