Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
SanjoTHEBanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
1 GTX295 will play crysis just fine at the rez, and I agree about the 10k drives, their far to loud and not much faster then the blacks and are just stupid priced. If your moving a ton of LARGE data at once then ya maybe itll make a difference, but 5 seconds off load times? are you nuts? If your load times are 5 secs to begin with on a 7.2k hard drive you have other problems, ive never had to wait more then half a second to maybe a second to load anything on my 640 black. and likes its been mentioned extreme is SSDs, Extreme branded CPUs, Watercooling or above, and some 2ghz ram. what you have here is just a run of the mill I7 build =P Extreme air cooling = Coolermaster V10!. And you do realize that the OCZ flex moduals are for watercooling systems right?
you dont have to water cool them... why in the hell would you water cool ram...
Old March 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

1. ... it was not meant to be offensive in any way and I'm sorry it if was. Besides that fact your Crysis comment could also be considered "spammish" if this weren't your thread already, but anyways...

2. 2x GTX295 would only fully be used by maybe a 30'' LCD panel or by someone like me that uses 3x Widescreen monitors for gaming (more overall pixels than a 30''). For the size of your screen, two might offer a 5-10% performance gain... perhaps closer to the 10% size will lots of AA/AF enabled, but not much more.

3. I believe he was referring to direct hard drive access speeds, aka opening a file/folder, not opening a program.

4. The speed at which programs open on a 10k drive may be noticable to some, and not to others, it's up to you to decide what you really want - we're just here to offer our insight and/or experience. In my experience, having used both 10k rpm drives, 7.2k rpm drives and Raid arrays.... the Raid will always win, hands down, versus any single 10k/7.2k rpm drive. So for storage, my vote would be for 2x WD Blacks in Raid 0 with an extra for storage/backups.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Ok.

Relax. This reply from Cmetaphor is no reason to Report a Post. Take this with a grain of Salt, will you?

If you create a thread, be ready to accept others' comments. Here are mine.

There's nothing Extreme about your rig. No, I am not jealous.

Velociraptors are not worth the investment and are definitely louder than any other drive. Dual 640s in Raid 0 will handle the boot load quite well. Dual GTX295s, well unless you Fold are overkill. The OCZs are designed for wc'ing. The Zalman 9900 is overhyped, there are much better HSFs out there. The TRUE with duals 120s in push-pull config. can handle a 920 at 4.0 - I know, I did that 1 month ago.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

First off in no way did I spam you, I gave my opinion on your build which is what this forum is for. yes I can open office in roughly 1-2 seconds I have my most important files short stroked to the first 2 partitions of my drive and I get great performance out of my single hard drive. Next, how do you figure that a raptor drive is no louder then a normal 320gb or 640gb drive? The speed of the spindles alone should tell you it is, ive heard both and the raptor is undoubtably louder then its counterparts. I agree with you on the extreme processors they arent worth it in my mind, although the unlocked multi is nice its not worth $1000 more then the reference chip, but it does sport the extreme name, and when I seen your build I thought to myself he must be going I7 965! so thats why I listed it. 2x GTX295s would be sweet and is certainly extreme but deffinetly overkill =D anyways all the power to you sanjo.

EDIT: Oops the spam thing wasnt aimed at me >.< lol
Old March 12, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

DDR3 ram can run hot when overclocked, youd water cool them to keep the temps in your case down as well as keep the ram itself cooler. not the first time this has been done by OCZ they've done it to more then 1 set of their DDR2 rams as well, its an enthusiast product but to be honest it your not using it with a watercooled system its a complete waste of money, go with dominators youll be much better off.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:10 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

He leveled! Watchout Realityshift! He may be grinding.... or questing... let's hope he likes our suggestions...

In all seriousness though, the end decision is yours. We can't Tell you want to do, we're just trying to help you make an informed decision before spending your money needlessly.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I own 3 Raptors.
2 300GB models (newest ones too) , and 1 100GB older version (without the Fancy Heatsink module).
They are Loud, only my AeroCool's can drown them out in Noise Production.
In all honesty, they are no longer worth the money.
The platter size and Density of the new blacks coupled with a 32meg Cache on them makes that setup in RAID out perform a Raptor.
Its a name, and an Image , no longer a Benchmarking HD personally.

I like the CNPS9900, so I'll say sure on that, but for handling the Heat of a i7 , probably not the best option out there really.
A TRUE with a PAir of Noctua's or S-Flex's would make that HSF show its flaws.

Whatever else you want to do is up to you,
Just for Future reference too, we do have a Format (stickied at the top of this Forum) for how we like New builds to be displayed so that way we can get a better idea of exactally what you are looking for your Build to do.

My thoughts at least,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Easy on the new guy C., easy....
Old March 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

When oh when will the true be knocked off its thrown as the king?? maybe the Thors hammer? but I agree the True extreme edition that comes with the 1366 brackets already and a fan (which will more then likely get replaced) but do they fit well on the x58 boards? I know the 790i is a tight fit?
Old March 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

3oh6 tried it in his evga X58, and it fits.