Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Could one also short stroke a Raptor?
Old March 10, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yes short stroking will work on any hard drive its just a partitioning trick, I was just pointed out that a a 500 or 640 gb black x 2 in raid 0 would perform just as fast if not and more probubly faster then a single raptor 150gb. I dunno if your itching to spend the extra on the raptor but if it where me, and its obviously not, id go with the blacks. But no mater what you go with short stroking will give you somewhat of a performance boost in windows. Theres a few other partitioning tricks one can perform to get that little bit extra, id google them and see what you come up with.

Raptors are deffinetly cool, im pretty sure thats how WD wants them to be as per marketing, but they are just to expensive for their own good. Ive got a 640gb black edition WD and it performs leaps and bounds over my old hitachi deskstar 320gb and only cost me $80, then again Im a gamer and when I can squeeze out more money on other parts to put that money into FPS I will. like I said your call.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:54 AM
Rookie

ok - thanks for the lesson on short stroking. Please keep in mind that this is not a gaming rig. This rig is used to work , process and store large amounts of photo files. The demands and design of this rig are different than a gamers rig. I have critical data that I do not want to have to trust in a RAID configuration I know little about. As I stated earlier - my passion is photogrphy, not computers. I want to build it and forget it. I want a system that is stable. Stability is paramount. Stable first, speed second. Downtime on my PC can cost me a lot of money. Losing data would be catastrophic. Believe me, I appreciate your suggestions - I should expect as much since I put this in the New Build forum. But I am pretty sure how I want to set my system up. I don't want to use 2 HDs in a short stroked RAID array just to do the job of one. I don't need to save a few hundred bucks. This is my livelihood ,so I won't skimp. I'll pay extra for the Raptors. I appreciate the sugegstions though - thanks.
Really my question is technical.
My current pc with XP installed has:

Antec P180 aluminum mid-tower case
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E6600
3 Hard Drives:
2 x WD Caviar 320GB (data)
1 x WD Raptor 36GB (for XP/apps)
Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550W power supply
BFG e-GeForce 7600GT nVidia GeForce 256 MB PCI-E
4 x 1.0 gb OCZ 800 RAM
1 LG GSA-H22N DVD RW 18x
Microsoft Basic Keyboard & Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical Black
Zalman NPS-9500-Cu-LED CPU cooler
Vantec Stealth 120 mm fan
1 TB WD external drive with separate power supply for backup (plugged in ONLY whenever I download new photo files that need backing up)
Use wireless USB antennae
Use USB receiver for wireless mouse and keyboard

Will the mobo, case and PSU support another 2 hard drives. OR should I go out and buy a better PSU (something coal powered perhaps)?
Old March 11, 2009, 08:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
ok - thanks for the lesson on short stroking. Please keep in mind that this is not a gaming rig. This rig is used to work , process and store large amounts of photo files. The demands and design of this rig are different than a gamers rig. I have critical data that I do not want to have to trust in a RAID configuration I know little about. As I stated earlier - my passion is photogrphy, not computers. I want to build it and forget it. I want a system that is stable. Stability is paramount. Stable first, speed second. Downtime on my PC can cost me a lot of money. Losing data would be catastrophic. Believe me, I appreciate your suggestions - I should expect as much since I put this in the New Build forum. But I am pretty sure how I want to set my system up. I don't want to use 2 HDs in a short stroked RAID array just to do the job of one. I don't need to save a few hundred bucks. This is my livelihood ,so I won't skimp. I'll pay extra for the Raptors. I appreciate the sugegstions though - thanks.
Really my question is technical.
My current pc with XP installed has:

Antec P180 aluminum mid-tower case
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo E6600
3 Hard Drives:
2 x WD Caviar 320GB (data)
1 x WD Raptor 36GB (for XP/apps)
Antec TRUEPOWER TRIO 550W power supply
BFG e-GeForce 7600GT nVidia GeForce 256 MB PCI-E
4 x 1.0 gb OCZ 800 RAM
1 LG GSA-H22N DVD RW 18x
Microsoft Basic Keyboard & Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical Black
Zalman NPS-9500-Cu-LED CPU cooler
Vantec Stealth 120 mm fan
1 TB WD external drive with separate power supply for backup (plugged in ONLY whenever I download new photo files that need backing up)
Use wireless USB antennae
Use USB receiver for wireless mouse and keyboard

Will the mobo, case and PSU support another 2 hard drives. OR should I go out and buy a better PSU (something coal powered perhaps)?
Here are some PSU calculators:
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
and
Antec Power Supply Calculator

They're both really just the same thing. PSUs don't work at 100% efficiency, and they degrade over time, so you should get a PSU that can handle the load a few years down the road.

Last edited by Dave510; March 11, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old March 11, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

To be honest if your spending that much and you really want to do it right and forget about it, then id pick up a Corsair HX620 with the modular cables or something along that lines of quality, that way you know your always going to have some stable power as im just not sure if the trio power can handle that much draw. I see what your getting at with the raid thing, I was just telling you what I would do from my stand point. If you where able to a raid 5 would be the safest bet as it backs up each file stored as a pairity and there for if 1 drive goes you dont lose your data, but its quite a bit more complicated then running 5 non raid hard drives. if you want my honest opinion at this point I would scrap the 320s and just go with the 2 raptors and a terabyte.

Now a couple seconds in google told me this about your motherboard:

Quote:
Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller)
meaning that unless your using IDE hard drives your stuck to 4 Sata devices, this includes DVD writers and Esata connections if your using those. I dont think the WD Tb externals use Esata so i think your ok in that reguard. So assuming your using a Sata dvd writer you could get away with 2 raptors and a Tb internal. If your not then your good for another 320gb. Your PSU may be good for that, I think the 7600 is pretty low power usage and I thought you had a Q6600 not the dual core version. Anyways Ill post the link for intels overview of your motherboard if you need more information on it. Another thing I noticed is the motherboard has no raid support =( but thats ok, you want to stay away from that anyhow.

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2

Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 - Overview
Old March 11, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your current power supply is easily capable of 5+ HD's. Power supply calculators are merely marketing tools to get you to buy a unit that is far more than you will ever need. My system pulls around 350W full 3D load with everything you see in my signature. I measured this with a Kill-A-Watt as well.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Now a couple seconds in google told me this about your motherboard:

meaning that unless your using IDE hard drives your stuck to 4 Sata devices, this includes DVD writers and Esata connections if your using those. I dont think the WD Tb externals use Esata so i think your ok in that reguard. So assuming your using a Sata dvd writer you could get away with 2 raptors and a Tb internal. If your not then your good for another 320gb.
Hey, I TOLD you pcs weren't my passion - LOL. I had been to the Intel site before and everything looked promising. I guess I didn't understand the difference between IDE and SATA - now I do - thanks. And I didn't know that DVD drives could potentially take up one SATA connection. I'll have to see if my writer player is SATA or not. I saw on my case site that it can hold a number of HDs but when I look at my case I guess I didn't see where I'd put them.

Your post has been VERY helpful. THANKKS.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your case holds the hard drives inside those pull out bays, you should be able to hold up to 6 within the 2 bays. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between sata and IDE, heres a site showing the 2 for you.

http://www.computer-hardware-explain...a%3DX%26um%3D1

I would expect your hard drives are sata as I dont think the raptors supported IDE but i couldnt be certain about your DVD writer, lots of dvd writers are still going IDE so its a toss up.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
Could one also short stroke a Raptor?
Or more importantly, will I get in trouble with PETA for suggesting a raptor get stroked?
Old March 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Your case holds the hard drives inside those pull out bays, you should be able to hold up to 6 within the 2 bays. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between sata and IDE...

...I would expect your hard drives are sata as I dont think the raptors supported IDE but i couldnt be certain about your DVD writer, lots of dvd writers are still going IDE so its a toss up.
Sorry, I should have been more specific in my earlier post. I KNOW all 3 drives are SATA drives. But if I understand your previous post then my limiting factor isn't the case, it's the number of SATA connections on the mobo.
I'll need to open it up to see if the DVD drive is connected to one of the SATA connections. My external HD is NOT SATA - it is USB.

Because I DO like to use things I pay for, if I am forced to go with only 3 HDs in the case, am I able to buy some sort of SATA expansion card that I could plug into the PC and attach the 2 evicted WD 320 GB SATA drives to (in a hard drive enclose with it's own power supply)? This is a theoretical question - I doubt I'd bother with all that work but I just want to see if I am getting a grip on all this PC hardware stuff.

I am surprised that my mobo would have only 4 SATA connections. Aren't Intel boards designed to be stable server boards? Isn't 3 HDs rather small for a server? Or was this mobo gear to people willing to use multiple HDs in RAID configuration? Or perhaps it was because it was put out shortly after SATA was introduced and it was expected that a few legacy IDE drives would also be used?

As always - THANKS!!