Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2009, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Default New i7 Gaming Build

Edit: I've listed the parts I'm currently looking at in my 2nd post, please look below!

Last edited by Wheezy; March 10, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I tend to prefer ATI cards over nVidia, but if the GTX 295 seems to be better than the 4870x2, I don't really mind either card.
Its an ongoing debate- you prefer ATI, I prefer nVidia.....flip a coin....get the one that is the best deal that your comfortable with.
Yes, all this Hardware is overkill gor your Res, however if planning on a new 24", it certainly will be justified!

As for a decent Case, with that Hardware I'd tend to stay away from a cramped Mid Tower (particularly with those large GPU's) and go for a decent Full Tower with good Air Flow.

Old March 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Ok, after a bit of research, here is my parts list so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 4870
MB:
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R or Gigabyte EX58-DS4 or Gigabyte EX58-UD4P or Gigabyte EX58-UD5
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 3x2gb
O/S: Vista Home Premium 64bit
O/S HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB
Extra HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case:
Coolermaster Cosmos
DVD: Samsung SH-S182F
PSU: Corsair
TX750W

So all of this will come out to $2000 (before price matching). As you can see, I'm not really sure about the mobo situation... It looks like the boards only differ in RAM capacity and Crossfire/SLI capability, if anyone knows otherwise -- please let me know! I'd probably only be interested in Crossfire for ATI cards, but the more expensive cards also offer triple Crossfire/SLI capabilities. As far as the 4870 GFX card goes, it's the 1gb version by XFX (which I've heard is quite good), and I'm sure that's more than enough to max out games on a 1280x720 resolution. Finally, the Coolermaster Cosmos case seems to be decent, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

If anyone can help me sort out the mobo situation or let me know if the brands of the items (RAM, HDDs, etc.) are good or could be better, please let me know... thanks!
Old March 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the ds4 is one of the cheaper i7 boards and i am very very happy with my choice good clocks and not a single boot or bios problem from day one
Old March 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Cosmos is fail for cooling, go with a haf or cosmos S. a 9800GT would probubly allow you to max out those games almost... GTX295 is way over kill at that resolution I really hope you have plans to get atleast a 20" widescreen or something soon.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Cosmos is fail for cooling, go with a haf or cosmos S. a 9800GT would probubly allow you to max out those games almost... GTX295 is way over kill at that resolution I really hope you have plans to get atleast a 20" widescreen or something soon.
Yeah, I should have updated my first post earlier -- not looking at the GTX 295 anymore.

I showed the system specs to a friend of mine and he thinks that the 4870 will bottleneck the CPU... is this possible, or is he mistaken?
Old March 10, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In order for that I7 to really "stretch" you want to provide as much GPU "poop" as you can while ensuring that GPU "poop" is being fully utilized and has somewhereto deposit itself (as in your monitor) - ideally, with an I7 set-up you want as much GPU power as you can get.......it used to be the other way around.....whereby the CPU's were bottle-necking the GPU's, not the case with these I7's.
However, unless your running at least a 24" 1920 x 1200 Res....it all seems like somewhat of a waste....I think that you should be looking at something a little more potent than that 4870 with plans of getting a decent monitor...really!

Old March 10, 2009, 10:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With the money you've saved on a couple of downgrades, pick yourself up a 22" monitor.
Oh, and that DVD drive, look at the SH-223F.

NCIX.com - Buy Acer X223WBD Black 22IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1680X1050 2500:1 5MS VGA DVI HDCP - ET.EX3WP.001 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung SH-S223F/BEBN 22X Speedplus DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer OEM - SH-S223F/BEBN In Canada.

You won't have to worry about the 4870 bottlenecking your CPU, I had great frame rates with mine at 1900x1200.
Old March 12, 2009, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks rj and Sugar for your replies and recommendations! I'm looking at this case now because I really like the looks of it, even though it's pretty damn pricey: Silverstone Fortress. Anyone have any experience with the case as far as cooling goes? I think I'd get the one without a window because I'm a fan of a more simple looking case (ie. slim to none LEDs and no windows).
Old March 12, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

+1 Silverstone !