Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default First time builder, 500$ budget PC

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Watching HD video, Web browsing, Basic computer tasks and maybe Gaming later on (depend if I got more money later)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread around 500$ before taxes

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
no, not really

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
no

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
of course

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Yes, but only mildly for better value

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
later this month

First time poster and first time builder, I have always use pre-built PC before but I want t built this one. I'm building it for my parents and my budget is tight.

Here what I'm planning to buy for parts :

CPU : AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE

NCIX.com - Buy AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition Dual Core Processor Socket AM2+ 2.7GHZ 3MB 65NM 95W Retail Box - AD775ZWCGHBOX In Canada.

Motherboard : Gigabyte UD3H 780G
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H AMD780G ATX AM2+/AM3 2PCI-E Video Sound GLAN CrossFireX HDMI Motherboard - GA-MA780G-UD3H In Canada.

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar 320GB

NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital SE16 320GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS NCQ Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty - WD3200AAKS In Canada.

PSU : OCZ StealthXStream 500W
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black - OCZ500SXS In Canada.

Case : Antec 300

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio - THREE HUNDRED In Canada.

RAM : Patriot Viper Extreme 4GB

NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Viper Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Memory Kit - PVS24G6400LLK In Canada.

DVD Writer : LG Black

NCIX.com - Buy LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA OEM - GH22NS30 BLACK In Canada.

CPU Heatsink : Sunbeam Core Contact

NCIX.com - Buy Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W/120MM Fan - CR-CCTF In Canada.

with the price matching, it should be around 500-550$

I'll be overclocking the CPU and the integrated graphic card

I'll also need a wireless network adapter since the PC is going to the basement.

A few questions :

Is that a good built? is there better parts for the same or less money?

Does everything fit in the case and is everything is compatible (have all the necessary cable and stuff)?

If I want to put a video card later on, like a 4850 or 4870, is the PSU enough to power my computer? :help:

thanks in advance

Last edited by rapmaster; March 7, 2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Just realise the Sunbeam CPU heatsink come with Tuniq TX-2
Old March 6, 2009, 09:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hey there,

Since You are on such a Tight budget, I can only suggest a different vendor for the PSU.
I would opt for the Corsair 400W instead of the one you have selected. Just from my own standpoint and experience, it is a really good and stable one.

Correct me if I am wrong, but something tells me you can't OC onboard Video, then again, I've never used Onboard so I can't say for certain.

Otherwise, for what you can afford, that does work.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read on Tom's that I can overclock the 780G onboard video card

here the link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...et,1785-8.html

and is Corsair that much better than Seasonic?

is around the same price but I don't want to deal with MIR
Old March 6, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is Corsair that much better than Seasonic? i think so +1 for soul
Old March 6, 2009, 10:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

*ahem*
If memory serves me correct, Seasonic MAKES the Corsair 400W.
Old March 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think some of their units are SKY, however this seasonic Unit is a Twin RAiled 17A per rail Unit. The Corsair is a Solid 30A on a single Rail.
And the Corsair has a bit of a different fan/heatsink Config which although doesn't make it the quietest solution at full load, makes it a cooler one.

So, although the platform might be the same, whats under the hood is different.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 6, 2009, 11:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It is but I would still give Corsair the benefit of the doubt considering the unit is a modified Seasonic build AND carries with it Corsair's excellent warranty / customer support.
Old March 6, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

learn something new everyday
Old March 6, 2009, 11:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is but I would still give Corsair the benefit of the doubt considering the unit is a modified Seasonic build AND carries with it Corsair's excellent warranty / customer support.

That is why I suggested it SKY lol :)
You have offically confuddled me for the day though.

ST

Old March 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks guys, change it to Corsair 400CX

can I add a 4870 or 4850 later on without upgrading the PSU?