Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Default New i7 build spec help ....

Hey everyone, i'm glad to have found this website and forum as i am building a new pc and this site has really helped me narrow down my choices. Anyway without making this long, this is what it's looking like ...

Intel core i7 920 2.66Ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe
OCZ 6GB DDR3 pc3-12800/1600mhz/core i7 edition
Antec truepower quattro 850W
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Coolmaster HAF 932
WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD
LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HD-DVD/DVDR

Price range: $1700 - $1900

Love to hear some reactions to what i have chosen and if you would recommend any other components to replace what i have above.

Few things in particular i would like to ask ...

1. Can i go with a lower watt power supply with the above components and what would you recommend. From reading here, alot of people recommend the Corsair 750W psu.

2. Can you reccomend any alternatives to the RAM i have above ...

3. Do you recommend i get a CPU cooler ? and what type/brand ...

I really appreciate your help and look forward to alos one day be of help to others on this board ... thanks guys !!
Old March 4, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Looks like a solid list to me, and yes, you could get by with a 750W power supply without much trouble. In fact, a good one wouldn't have any trouble handling a second HD4870, should you decide to go that route in the future. There are a good number of a solid 750W options, and the Corsair unit is certainly one of them.

Memory-wise, those sticks will have plenty of headroom for any overclocking you might want to do, and shouldn't give you any trouble (or clearance issues with some CPU heatsinks).

Personally, I'd suggest going for an aftermarket CPU cooler, especially for any overclocking. Something like the NH-U12P SE1366 would be a good option, quiet, and includes two good fans to boot.
Old March 5, 2009, 03:26 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'd change the Sapphire 4870 for XFX; Sapphire support is pathetic if a RMA is needed.

The TX750W can handle dual 260s no problem, that's what mine managed. You could choose the HX620W too.

I run Gskill sticks and I'm very happy with them.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 on the Noctua heatsink and the Corsair 750, I've built 2 rigs this past week using both with a 4870 1GB in a CM 690 case and the i7 temps idle at 32-33c and 57-58c at load and is nice and quiet. I don't know much about the OCZ ram but looks pretty solid to me (I also use G-Skill). You will have a very nice rig when your done :)

Old March 5, 2009, 05:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

OCZ Ram is pretty damn good from what I've read and heard (I'm a Corsair RAM kinda Guy).
I'll second Charlies Motion to Avoid Sapphire or Diamond for that matter in regards to RMA Support.
I personally use HIS and have yet to have an issue with them, so I'll put my name in the had saying a good HIS Card would work for you.

If you want a different kind of RAM, Corsair has nice i7 kits out right now.

For the PSU , Corsair is great, PC power and cooling is very good as well.
You could scale it down a bit on the output , that system would be happy with around 600w so long as its a good quality PSU.

Otherwise, looks solid.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 5, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 for Cosair PSU, I got one back from RMA the yesterday and no problems (great support), plus it has no trouble running my i7 setup. I plan to get a second 4850, or just ditch the one I got and get a GTX285. The PSU you have OR the Corsair one will suit your needs even should you decide to CF your 4870.

I have OCZ Gold DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 sticks and I've yet to get them going at 1600mhz, if I bought 1600mhz then shouldn't it run at 1600mhz? I dunno maybe it's just me but -1 for OCZ >.>, there's plenty of good Corsair kits out there =D

Rock solid build you have there, lots of upgrade-ability.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly guys ... ok, so i think everything should be fine other than my video card choice ... just about everyone does not recommend going with Sapphire ... so i've narrowed down my choices to the following .. (mind you, i don't want to spend more than $350 on a video card) ...

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1.0 GB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 - 55nm

If there are any others you would recommend, all your help is much appreciated. I think i'm willing to spend even a bit more with respect to my video card if there is significant difference, for the better, between my choices and a more expensive card.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

I've also decided to go with the Corsair 750W PSU and and Noctua CPU cooler. The RAM i'm still looking into.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Sorry, but i think i have more questions lol ... just want to make sure what i purchase will last me a while and be a great setup. I'm also looking to purchase a new LCD monitor ... i was looking at these two ...

LG W2442PA-BF (LG W2442PA-BF - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices)
Samsung SyncMaster T240 (Samsung SyncMaster T240 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices)

Any recommendations or suggestions ... thanks again !!
Old March 7, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're going to have to "review" your build and needs....as in:
1. Do you intend to game on a 1920 x 1200 Res monitor wioth everything "cranked"?......if so...do you expect smooth n speedy framerates?....if so....
2. Take a hard look at the best GPU solution and base your PSU on that. I noticed that you have chosen a 750W Corsair....good PSU, but in the event you decide for a beefier GPU and a 2nd one in SLI, you'll be kicking yourself that you hadn't chosen a beefier PSU to begin with..."pinch pennies now and watch the dollars sail by later"...in other words, spending a little extra now can save you in the end.

Old March 7, 2009, 03:59 PM
Rookie

K, i'm almost ready to do this. Last nite i bought the 24" Samsung. Got the shopbot price of it, went over to my friendly neighbourhood BestBuy, and they matched the price and threw on 10% discount. Walked out of the store with it in hand, taxrs in, $305.

My last question (hopefully) is, i'm noticing alot of people with 2 HDD's. Most common i see is a WD 74GB Raptor and a second WD Caviar Black 640GB. Any reason you guys are doing this ?? I'd love to find some reading in this ... thanks again.