Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 06:55 AM
Rookie

Default Need Some Gaming Build Advice

HI All,

So Iím getting ready to put together my first gaming computer in a while. Iíve been out of the game for a number of years now and after doing some research, this is what Iíve got Budget is around $2000 and I'm looking at getting this together in the next 3 weeks. What do you think? Iím looking to get a little future proofing out of this and a great gaming experience that doesnít really include FPSís. I would love a GTX295 but the cost of the card plus the additional cost of the cooling associated with it, kind of puts me over budget I think. Thanks.

This is what Iíve got so far. All parts/prices are from newegg.ca.

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Old March 4, 2009, 07:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Awk76,

Welcome to the Forums!
A good Idea would be to tell everyone what Games you do play , which OS you are using etc etc.

A good Guide to what we usually like to work with can be found here!
NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell

That being said, I will make a few of my own suggestions.

For the PSU I would Opt for something in the 750/850W range from Corsair (or Ultra ) to better future proof your system.

The Video Card Supplier you are looking at I won't suggest...Sapphire has (one hopes they will get better) poor Customer Service. So if that card ever goes bad, you could have a long wait time to get its replacement.

I would rather see you with an XFX or HIS manufacturer instead. I am sure you will find a lot of people on here will suggest the same thing.

That Case if you are opting for a Mid tower build is great, I loved working on the one I built for my friend. Another thought would the the NZXT Tempest if you wanted a little more bling in your life with a little bit better cooling.

The last suggestion I would make would be to find a WD 640GB Harddrive instead of the Seagate. Seagate if you do some research has had issues with HD's these days and their firmware so, WD is the place to be right now.
That and the 640 design works great.

My thoughts at least,

Good Luck on the Build,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 4, 2009, 07:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions Soultribunal. Looks like a lot has changed. I like your suggestion for the NZXT Tempest. Looks good and has bling as you mentioned. After I posted I also noticed some other posters who brought up the problems you mentioned with Seagate and Saphire. Iíll take your suggestions and look into WD and XFX. I hear XFX has a lifetime warranty.

Also I should mentioned that this box is for games, but not FPSís, so things like Dawn of War 2, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3Ö..when they come out of course

Thanks.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Id advise against the NZXT, honestly either look at the 690 which is a GREAT case for the price, or if you want more bling look at something like the antec 902, the tempest is just another look alike might as well go with the company that started the look, and the 902 is MUCH more refined looking I think besides who can resist a black interior.

and id even vote against XFX as I just dont like them as a company, HIS makes some decent ATI cards Ive had more then one and have not had much trouble with their CS, with what you want to play im pretty certain you could easily get by with a GTX260 216 even, you really dont need a dual gpu solution unless your playing alot of FPS or Racing games like grid. and even then the GTX260 is a ton of horse power. unless you just really have your heart set on a beast of a GPU.

I agree with soul on the psu front, id spend the little extra and get the TX750 over the TX650, not just because its a little more power but also the TX750 comes with 4 pci-e connectors where as the TX650 doesnt, so if you want to upgrade latter on the 650 might be able to handle the power but wont have sufficiant connecters to do so.

To be honest if you go with the stated build your preposing your going to be able to play crysis at 1650x1080 at high with all kinds of decent framerates. by the looks of it if you dont go with saphire which by all means is a horible company to work with you will be paying almost the same price as a GTX 295, but for the games you play I think id stear you towards either the GTX 260/285 or the 4870 non X2.

also something to think about, if you are really looking at this as a gaming build you could take a look at the phenom IIs, you could cut enough costs off the build to get a GTX 295 over the 4870 and still get a very good preforming cpu at the same time, its not going to benchmark like an I7 but itll still keep up with pretty well all tasks and give you a great gaming experience at a reduced cost.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

oh and another word on HDs, deffinetly go with the WD drives, their much better and I find them much quieter over the seagates, if you can try and pick up a 640gb black edtion with the dual procs, almost as fast as a raptor but at quite a bit lower cost. and id just like to say that I wasnt at all saying that the tempest was a bad case and you shouldnt look at it, I just think it looks like a rehashed antec 900 which is a rather dated design itd be like getting the thermaltake V9... the 902 is more like its big brother the 1200 which is much better case imo. I went with the 690 on my recent build but to add bling I added the optional windowed side pannel (comes with a blue LED fan pre installed and its only like 23 bucks.) and a couple of LED fans and a CC kit, should give me all kinds of bling while not being to much.. and at the same time cost less then both the tempest and 902 =)

but cases will always be personal preference in the end.
Old March 4, 2009, 10:55 AM
Rookie

That’s some really good advice. I want to keep my options open in terms of games. Looking into Crysis a little makes me think that I might want to pick it up! Looks really solid. I orinially was going to go with the CoolerMaster 690 but I read this review, Cooler Master 690 | Maximum PC, and thought it might not be a good idea.

Also, I’ve always gone with Intel, I’m just not that familiar/comfortable with AMD. I’m sure it’s just my ignorance though. I figure that that the i7 will be a little more future proof and I guess that’s what I’m paying for in the additional overheard (e.g. mobo, memory and CPU). You do bring up a good point on the GPU though. That being a non-saphire 4870x2 will cost about the same as a GTX 295, which I would prefer to get.

As you can see, these are the things that are causing my confusion.

Your comments are extremely appreciated though.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I will still stand by the NZXT Tempest Case in this regard.
It has a lot of Depth to fit big Cards, and has the Airflow to Keep them happy (you can always upgrade the fans if you want even more of a windtunnel.

My thoughts at least.
I can't really suggest anything nVidia because I've only ever owned 1 and its in my wifes Computer.

I think something like an HIS 4870 1GB Card would do you just fine.
And if you don't want your case to be a mess of cables.
You could go with Modular PSU as well.
Ultra has a nice X3 line.
Silverstone too now has a fully Modular Line in the Decathalon Series.

Just speaking my thoughts.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 4, 2009, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Now that I'm looking at your specs, I"m liking your case, NZXT Apollo, goes for about $100 too. I'm going to assume that the 4870x2 would "last" longer, in terms of future proofing then the 4870x1?
Old March 4, 2009, 11:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Being An Apollo Owner for over a Year now I'll be the first to tell you its cooling is nothing in compared to the Tempest.
It is, a Nice Case if you do 3 things.
1) Change out all the Fans included for High CFM ones.
2) Buy a Fully Modular PSU
3) Add Some Type of Additional Cooling to the Front.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...its-glory.html

Thats what it looks like (Old Pic, I've done a much better Cable Management Job since I've received my X3 600W PSU.

It will never ever compete with a Top of the Line case.
But, it does have its virtues, and I for one Love it and will use it until none of my Hardware fits inside.

I still say Tempest, but if you get hooked on the Apollo, I can help you make it good for what it is.

Regards,
ST

Old March 4, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

the one thing I hate about the apollo case and cases that follow the same design is the damn door on the bezel, I like fast access to my drives and ive had more then 1 door get ripped off by careless friends... the doorless grill design really is great for ventilation and also for ease of use. that review of the 690 is the worst ive seen to date, and did not do it jusitice, and I normally read MM too >.<.

everything ive read heard and seen shows that the drive bays are rather secure, yeah maybe if you step on one when its outa the case with no drive in it it may break but why would you do that? and their meant to be flimsy so you can bend them to get the drive into it. once the drives in and mounted their solid. as for wiring, theirs holes in the motherboard tray and all the wire cable holders along the motherboard area can be removed where you need as to not block off imputs, although for most people today that wouldnt be much of an issue.

techPowerUp :: Cooler Master RC-690 Review :: Page 6 / 6

HEXUS.net - Review :: Cooler Master CM 690 PC chassis: the new budget king? : Page - 11/11

FPSLabs - FPSLabs Home News Story - Cooler Master CM 690 Review

A few other reviews to go by, its by no means the best case out there and at $90 who could expect it to be. it is good to note that if you use IDE you wont be able to use IDE hard drives as they can be blocked by the HD cages, as well as the fact that the 900 and 902 will cool better unless you load some more fans into the 690, the 690 on its way to me now will have all fan mounts filled so it should have no problems.

another thing to note is that all of the mentioned cases will fit fullsized cards. the CM 690, the 902 and i believe the 900 as well as the tempest are all supose to fit full sized video cards. The CM 690 was coolermasters suposed first case to be able to fit 2 SLIed 8800GTXs. but it will also fit 3x GTX295s.

If your going from a cooling perspective the 902 or even the haf are going to dominate here with stock cooling, the 230mm fans help alot to get hot air out and cool air in fast at low rpms. I belive the 690 and the tempest are similar in performance here. heck even the dirt cheap thermaltake M9 is similar to the tempest.