Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2009, 04:41 PM
Rookie

Default buy i7 or build?

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this site, it seems like an excellent resource/community. In any case, my current computer is a dual 1.8 gHz g5 (PPC) mac from June 2004 /w 3 gig ram. I think mac makes terrific products but its hardware (esp the pro desktop line) is pricey. While it is fine for normal use, in some cases it is starting to show its age. My feeling is that it is more cost effective to get a good build less often than a moderate build more frequently.

I've looked at the new dell XPS 435:

Dell Studio XPS 435 Desktop Computer Product Details

As far as I can tell, if I just buy the components listed there on my own, I can't match their price. I think I want an i7 CPU because I think the extra caching / DDR3 RAM will help me and I think the usability lifetime will be longer if I go with that.

Are there any glaring concerns with the dell? I dunno what sort of PSU / motherboard it has exactly. Do you think I good get the same/better quality parts for same/less if I build it myself? Because my research on prices seem to show that I cannot. I am also wondering about the 32nm chips coming out later this year -- whether I should try and hold off for that.

Thanks for your input.

Standard info:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Programming (C++/Java) -- fair bit of computationally intensive math routines, etc, statistical analysis (matlab, R, etc.), a game now and then (maybe starcraft 2 when it comes out... I am not an avid 3D gamer though).

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

No more than $1300 CAD (without monitor) if possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Intel CPU -- want to look into some of the intel specific libraries and whatnot.

Video card -- want dual DVI ports for dual monitor setup.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

None.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Default.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Hopefully within ~ 1 month or so. But if there is a large need to wait for price drop / new products that can be done too.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently came across this site, it seems like an excellent resource/community. In any case, my current computer is a dual 1.8 gHz g5 (PPC) mac from June 2004 /w 3 gig ram. I think mac makes terrific products but its hardware (esp the pro desktop line) is pricey. While it is fine for normal use, in some cases it is starting to show its age. My feeling is that it is more cost effective to get a good build less often than a moderate build more frequently.

I've looked at the new dell XPS 435:

Dell Studio XPS 435 Desktop Computer Product Details

As far as I can tell, if I just buy the components listed there on my own, I can't match their price. I think I want an i7 CPU because I think the extra caching / DDR3 RAM will help me and I think the usability lifetime will be longer if I go with that.

Are there any glaring concerns with the dell? I dunno what sort of PSU / motherboard it has exactly. Do you think I good get the same/better quality parts for same/less if I build it myself? Because my research on prices seem to show that I cannot. I am also wondering about the 32nm chips coming out later this year -- whether I should try and hold off for that.

Well if you go with the dell you'll have customer support and a warranty. Seeing as your not going to be doing any overclocking/much gaming, it would probably suit your needs fine.

The power supply/motherboard/ram on pre-built computers are usually not the best quality.

If you wanted to build it yourself it'll cost a little more but you'll have much better quality parts, and it'll accept upgrades with less hassle.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

And u wont be going to the dark side :)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 1, 2009, 06:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So, that system is $1199 plus tax, right?

i7 920 - $350
6gb Gskill DDR3 mem - $135
500gb - $70
EX58-UD3R mobo - $260
Antec Sonata case and PSU - $130
HD3650 GPU - $71
DVD Drive - $28
Vista - $130
KB and mouse - $45

$1219 plus tax, with more memory.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:46 PM
MVP

What Sugar suggested would be a great system and would benefit from the additional ram. The downside to a Dell is the (usually) low quality PSU, motherboard and ram, whereas with a custom built system, you know exactly what your getting.

From what I understand the 32nm chips will have some sort of integrated graphics chip on them so I don't think they will be targeted for performance. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old March 1, 2009, 09:15 PM
Rookie

i found this, maybe it helps you iamcanadian7

they will release a 6 core version for high performance if that's correct :)