Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2009, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Default First time assembly

So i'm quite new to this and i won't actually build it myself but will have it made for me. Mainly i just want an upgrade for one i want a pretty good gaming pc for once and also keep options open for the future so that's why i chooice the i7 cpu. Also i'm from europe (netherlands) so i'll list prices in euro, hope that won't be too confusing :). i want to spend around 1,500 and not much more then that really.

Case: Cooler master big tower haf932 121,00 / Silverstone raven atx 157,50 / Cooler master cosmos 1000 167,00

for the case, i am not too sure yet, it's not that i will massively overclock anything. but when looking trough prices and options these three stood out for me.

PSU: Zalman Powersupply ZM750-HP 750W Modular 126,50

i recon 750 should be enough, maybe even if i would ever add another card for sli but i am not entirely sure about that. if you have any recommendations for another psu i'll be glad to hear it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 265,00

not really considering a different cpu. perhaps in a year+ i could just upgrade to one of the newer ones wich will probally be released in 2010 so i read.

MB: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 258,50

well first i was considering the asus p6t deluxe, but with barely any price difference and after i read the review on this site i was pretty much sold to this one.

RAM: Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 SDRAM PC12800 CL8.0 Dominator 179,00

only read good things about this, not that i will massivly overclock or anything but i like to keep options open :).

GPU: XFX GeForce GTX260 Black 896MB (216) 265,00

basicly, i saw this one could compete with most of the stock 280's and i was just sold, there might not be much room to push it much faster but it's an overall beast in my eyes. perhaps in the future get another one for sli setup. I preffer to play games on 1600x1200 but i have no issues with playing on 1280x1024 with high settings.

HD: Western Digital 500GB SATA300 32MB WD5001AALS (7,2k) 65,50

not too sure about this one but it's a newer western digital drive and i only ever had western digital drives as long as i can remember, any advice would be appreciated.

DVD: Samsung DVD-/+/RAM SH-S223Q 25,00

just picked one that seems to read and write quite fast, for the rest not too sure on this :).

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Prem. SP1 NL 1u 64b 102,00

rather not spend more to get the ultimate but if you would recon it's worth it let me know why, i myself have never worked with vista yet so this will be quite a plunge for me :P.

The only things i'll keep from my current pc is a logitech g15 keyboard and g5 mouse and then of course the screen wich is a samsung syncmaster 2443nw.

That's about it really, don't think i missed anything out, let me know what you think, any pointers here and there are very appreciated.

Last edited by Evangelos; March 1, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:48 PM
Banned
F@H

Not too much to say, looks like you've thought this one over a fair bit.

Cases area personal...either will od fine, but I'd lean away from the Cosmos 1000..they releases a newer revision for a reason.

Not too fond of Zalman PSUs...would much rather get one from someone who builds/designs thier own units, rather than relabelling. Also of greater power (850w+) if you'll SLi in the future

I'm not sure the added cost of the BLACK GTX260 is worth it...I'd jsut get a GTX280(locally costs less than the BLACK GTX260)

HDD...take a look as the Western Digital caviar Black DualProc drives...not much more in cost, adn the added storage and speed make that minor cost worthwhile, IMHO.

Personally, I don't like Gigabyte boards, but that's not to say they aren't good...ASUS and GIgabyte formed a partnership a while ago, so you'll see very little difference between them...I'd buy whatever has the best warranty...
Old March 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd second having a look at the Cosmos S if you're considering the Cosmos 1000, although everybody I've seen who has the HAF has been happy with it. I'd say if you like the looks, put that one at the top of your list and work from there. :)

Wish I could make a suggestion on PSUs, but the market in Europe is a lot different than it is here in NA so it's hard for folks here to make informed recommendations.

Welcome to Hardware Canucks BTW!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome! First time on a board like this and i've been watching alot of reviews on products on this site for a while now so i figured the community here would be an excellent place to ask.

The HDD i'm not too sure about, i searched trough a few online shops where i found parts and noticed one listed the WD cavier you suggested as Western Digital 500GB SATA300 32MB, WD5001AALS for €70,00 as the product numbers match, i might be wrong, but it seems to be the same HDD? in the feature description from the one i found it also reads dual processor and Data Lifeguard, Shock Guard, StableTrac, Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR), NoTouch ramp-load technologie.

As for the case i heard everyone is quite fond of the haf932 by Cooler master, it would probally stand out a bit with the rest of my furniture but i do like the fan options for it.

Then the powersupply i looked around some and i might have found a nice 850 watt one but i really have no idea about them.
SilverStone Powersupply ST85F 850W, Modular €127,50

The videocard upgrade to a 280gtx get's a bit harder, since i really love what xfx does and their support the cheapest xfx 280gtx i could find in the netherlands was going for €340,00. I will dig some more into that and see what i can come up with.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
Banned
F@H

So, yes, you've already selected the Caviar Black drive...

but I'll say this....

500GB are failed 640GB, so go 640 GB. Hence my comment about xtra space. Not every retailer has the 500GB and 1TB Black drives yet though...

If you are set on XFX, then get what you can...as I said, it seems you put alot of thought into all of this, so I don't see anything that really stands out as as "bad part" hat I myself wouldn't purchase...except for the drive and the PSU....and I feel that that Silverstaone unit is NOT a better choice. I'd suggest Antec Signature 850w, Seasonic SS850EM, or Corsair TX850w, in my order of preference.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your input cadaveca and sswilson, i actually did find the corsair psu and it was actually cheaper by €10 then both of the others ones i found, also found the 640gb version of the cavier black for only €10 more (that evens the price out exactly lol). Think i'll just stick with the haf 932 case aswell, your input is very much appreciated.