Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2009, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Default Building my First Game/photo editing Pc

Im planning to build a Gaming/normal everyday pc. Im not going to go wild and have 20 Hard drive or amazing LCD Lights!
Im looking for a Silent and fast Pc that can be used for Photoshop and play games on high spec with my 23 inch monitor.

Im using a Dell 9100 which i <3 and served me well but its well out of date.

i have a few Ideas i like to run by you guys/girls and hopefully you can give me some good advice where im going wrong or right

Spending = 1500 MAX (but dont want to spend 1500)

Case:
Antec p182, i seen a lot of review for this case and has run the test of time having been out for almost 3 years. still being very popular.
Quite and good cooling, nice size case cos i dont need a full tower but im wondering if it can fit what im about to write down.

Motherboard and processor:
Asus p6t Deluxe x58, i seen so many reviews on this board. saying it is very easy to overclock i7 core with this motherboard. but what i dont like it the cost of it. Very expensive compared to other i7core motherboard and the processor is the i7 920. i dont need to explain myself for this choice.

AIRCOOLER GPU:
i got two choices!
Akasa Ak 967 or the Noctua NH- U12P.
Both cool very well but the only thing is which one. Akasa is cheap. Noctua is quite but so is the Akasa. i duno... which one which one? but again it all depends if my case can fit this type of air cooler

RAM:
G.Skill 6GB Triple Channel Memory Kit - PC3-12800
only problem is... do i really need 6gb or is 3gb ok?

Graphic Card:
I really dont know at this poiont, Ati or Nvidia's. Ati is cheap but im always been a fan of Nvidia.im only looking to spend like 200-250 pounds maybe. i want good value.
Been looking at the Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (216) or should i just go for the 285gtx?
but that like 100 pound more...

Standard Items:
Hard Disk Drive: 1xSamsung Spin point 1TB HD
creative sound x-fi Titanium Fatality
Optical Drive: 1x LG GGC H2ol Blueray&HD

PSU:
Is 650w bequiet Dark power, Is this enough power to go SLI if i do get another 260gtx with what i have listed? or should it be 750w or 850w

Well that whats i done so far, it about 1300-1400 at the moment.
what you guys think?
Old February 23, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hi- welcome to HWC!

I would switch for this sound card:
NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP - AZT-FORTE In Canada.
It's just as good as the auzentech prelude only cheaper

I'd probably go for the akasa cooler- good value (it does come with 1366 adapter, right?)

I'd get a 4870 or a 260 Core 216
NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 4870 770MHZ 512MB GDDR5 2XDVI PCI-E Video Card - AX4870 512MD5 In Canada.
here's a 4870 for only $238 CAD (although you said pounds so I guess you're a brit)

Go for a 750 watt PSU if you ever want to do SLI
People really like the Corsair HX PSUs around here.

I would go for the 6GB of ram since it's not much more money- just be sure to get a 64bit OS

And as fo rthe mobo- all of the x58s are pricey right now, and considering it's only a few minutes effort to crank the crap out of that 920 and you have a solid board with full features, the p6t is worth it
Old February 23, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow nice build! That should make very short work of any photoshop tasks.

Babrarossa has good points and I'll 2nd what he says. The GTX 260 Core 216 is the way to go. Unless you plan on gaming at super hi-res with lots of AA the GTX 285 isn't worth it imo.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 24, 2009, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect

If your looking for best bang for the buck, GTX 260 all the way. Like you said the GTX 285 is 100 pounds more!

+1 on Corsair PSU's Can't find any bad comments about them (other than the non-modular ones being a bit messy)

Im sure you will be fine on any X58 board when it comes to overclocking. I went EVGA with my board and GPU. Lifetime warranty and great support. They have a new X58 board coming out within the next few weeks ~~EVGA X58 Classified. Looks bad A$$ but is going to be $$$! Here is a preview link Fudzilla - EVGA X58 SLI Classified motherboard unveiled

When it comes to your RAM, if you want to OC def go with 6GB. OCZ gold or platinum 1600Mhz has had great reviews when it comes to OC or the corsair dominators. But if you can find a much better price on the g-skill and they have low latency, go for it!

Build looks good! Pretty much just put together the same rig. I really like my P182!
CPU:Core i7 920 (Batch#3841A)
RAM:6BG Aeneon DDR3-1866MHz
GPU:EVGA GTX 285
DATA HDD:Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black (x2 soon)
OPTICAL:LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
PSU:Corsair HX1000W Modular
WATERBLOCK:???
RES:Swiftech
PUMP:Swiftech MCP655
Display: Sony 40" w series 1080p + Dell 2209WA
Old February 24, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be tempted to go for a 1gb 4870, they oc well now...but the 260's good too.

Definitely go for a 750watt continuous if you can, they've come down a lot in price recently.

I'd also think about some aftermarket cooling for your i7.

As for being in the UK at least you'll get nice fast delivery of the items cw with sending it from BC out East

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Hi- welcome to HWC!

I would switch for this sound card:
NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP - AZT-FORTE In Canada.
It's just as good as the auzentech prelude only cheaper
Sounds good but i dont think that card out in the Uk market but i think about what card i should use, 90pounds is expensive for the card i want to buy.

Quote:
I'd probably go for the akasa cooler- good value (it does come with 1366 adapter, right?)
It does come with a 1366, since its so cheap means i can spend a little extra on something else.

Quote:
I'd get a 4870 or a 260 Core 216
NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 4870 770MHZ 512MB GDDR5 2XDVI PCI-E Video Card - AX4870 512MD5 In Canada.
here's a 4870 for only $238 CAD (although you said pounds so I guess you're a brit)
Im to much of a fan of Nvidia. ill stick to with what i know but the confidence in buying the 260 core 216 is a good sign!

Quote:
Go for a 750 watt PSU if you ever want to do SLI
People really like the Corsair HX PSUs around here.

I would go for the 6GB of ram since it's not much more money- just be sure to get a 64bit OS

And as fo rthe mobo- all of the x58s are pricey right now, and considering it's only a few minutes effort to crank the crap out of that 920 and you have a solid board with full features, the p6t is worth it
Right, 750watt psu corsair... i look in to some and reviews. guess its best to have that extra power.

6GB is it then. thanks for the advice.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggz View Post
If your looking for best bang for the buck, GTX 260 all the way. Like you said the GTX 285 is 100 pounds more!

+1 on Corsair PSU's Can't find any bad comments about them (other than the non-modular ones being a bit messy)

Im sure you will be fine on any X58 board when it comes to overclocking. I went EVGA with my board and GPU. Lifetime warranty and great support. They have a new X58 board coming out within the next few weeks ~~EVGA X58 Classified. Looks bad A$$ but is going to be $$$! Here is a preview link Fudzilla - EVGA X58 SLI Classified motherboard unveiled

When it comes to your RAM, if you want to OC def go with 6GB. OCZ gold or platinum 1600Mhz has had great reviews when it comes to OC or the corsair dominators. But if you can find a much better price on the g-skill and they have low latency, go for it!

Build looks good! Pretty much just put together the same rig. I really like my P182!

The Evga x58 board looks very nice. i might just keep my options over. i dont wanna go to cheap on my new build but i dont wanna be spending alot of money on one item when a cheaper one does the same thing as the expensive one

i never overclocked before, the Dell 9100 isnt really something you can over clock but it be great to learn when i start. then i again i dont need to really.

one question about your P182, is it as quiet was people say?