Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
MVP

Question Vertical PCI the new form factor ?

Just reading the new review on Raven case. The vertical PCI board lay-out seems logical, heat rises naturally, so this would aid in cooling. The only draw back is I/O plug-ins and PCI plug-ins. What are other's thoughts on this lay-out and will board makers make a board in this form ? I was thinking move the I/O to the back of the board for easier access. Kind of neat to think out side the box or at least a different angle in side the box.

Last edited by Toyoracer; February 18, 2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 18, 2009, 08:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Motherboard manufacturers seem fairly resistant to change unless it's pretty well shoved down their throats to meet a technical challenge. I doubt very much you'll see them change their layout unless they absolutely have to.

That said.... itx format motherboards seem to be taking off fairly well, and we're seeing an awful lot of features with those that I wouldn't have even dreamed of a couple of years ago. My bet would be to watch that format and see where it takes us.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 18, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Considering how many wires I have coming out the back of my computer the setup of the Raven would NEVER work for me at all.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
MVP

I don't care for the Raven style but the concept of changing the standard lay-out is interesting. Just like putting psu on the bottom
Old February 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
I don't care for the Raven style but the concept of changing the standard lay-out is interesting. Just like putting psu on the bottom
PSU on the bottom is nothing new.. lots of cases do that already.
Old February 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i think it's great way to move the market forward if this works thermal design (in cases anyway) could change a lot if it can catch on
Old February 18, 2009, 09:09 PM
MVP

Yes. Now many cases come with PSU bottom mounted but not so long ago it was new. Board lay-out seems to be vary slow in design change. With lower power parts, larger fans (slower rpm) insulated cases, the computer is becoming more ear friendly :)
Old February 18, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
i think it's great way to move the market forward if this works thermal design (in cases anyway) could change a lot if it can catch on
Will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
Yes. Now many cases come with PSU bottom mounted but not so long ago it was new. Board lay-out seems to be vary slow in design change. With lower power parts, larger fans (slower rpm) insulated cases, the computer is becoming more ear friendly :)
Will never happen.

They tried to implement BTX and it failed.

ATX is here to stay and will never leave.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

This form-factor is 90% placebo. Yes, hot air rises. But only until it's faced with a fan going a measly 50rpm. At which point, thermal convection gets regulated to second place, and forced airflow rules the day. Good airflow, directed towards the components that need it, so that the air enters and exits the case smoothly, will always be the most important thing. And unless you're playing the passive-cooling game, rotating the case really doesn't work for or against that goal. At best, putting the intake at the bottom might offer a slight buffer between intake fans and the user, but not much more.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ditto on BTX enaberif. I remember all the hype about it because it put everything oriented the way it should have been. But, companies hate designing new stuff. We all know that. Complete failure that BTX board.

Now, of course, vertical PCI is not a motherboard form factor...it's just the motherboard turned 90 degrees. Same thing with LIAN-LI cases: upside down ATX. It's just an innovative idea for something that already exists...