LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2009, 06:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Will never happen.

Will never happen.

They tried to implement BTX and it failed.

ATX is here to stay and will never leave.

I agree a lot with what you usually have to say Enaberif, however this time you remind me of the people who said we would never land on the moon, or would never fly through the sky.
Never say Never. You and I both know that not one of us is clairvoyent. We can assume, try and predict, but I doubt anyone can say anything for certain in this world.

I think, new ideas are always welcome, vented PCI covers, Bottom mounted PSU's, holes for the Backing plates of our HSF. SOmetimes, it may take 2 generations of designs to get things right. But you Never know what the future can hold.

I say, good job on the Raven.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 19, 2009, 06:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If I were to use the Raven, I would have a precise total of 15 cables coming out UPWARDS from the case. I think that directing airflow to cool the PCI and PCI-E cards INSIDE the case is a far easier and more effective solution.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old February 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wow man what do you need 15 cables for?? as for this case im deffinetly not sold on the limiting top mounted pci slots, for some people who still use the fail normal VGA adapters they will not fit and for the rest of us its just not enough room. take last posters 15 cables, yeah hot air flows up but even with fans what happens when it hits the 15 strands of wire flooding the air space at the top? at least with cords at the back most cables hang down a few inches behind the case leaving a decently large buffer zone for heat to escape.

sure its an innovative way to set their case appart from others but its by no means a new standard that will be adopted anytime in the near future, thats like saying GMC's vertical mounting optical drives are going to be the future even though they limit you to 1 optical drive and dont really make and new technological advancements to increase case performance. its all just asthetics. if they want to change the industry maybe someone should bring out a decent SFF style lan case that supports full sized gear and atx mobos... some of us lanners like to use enthusiast class gear when we play games...
Old February 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I agree a lot with what you usually have to say Enaberif, however this time you remind me of the people who said we would never land on the moon, or would never fly through the sky.
Never say Never. You and I both know that not one of us is clairvoyent. We can assume, try and predict, but I doubt anyone can say anything for certain in this world.

I think, new ideas are always welcome, vented PCI covers, Bottom mounted PSU's, holes for the Backing plates of our HSF. SOmetimes, it may take 2 generations of designs to get things right. But you Never know what the future can hold.

I say, good job on the Raven.

ST
Except that when it comes to computers the thing things that are tried and true are those that generally work better.

Is there any real temp difference in a bottom vs top mounted psu? Probably not enough to warrant it.
Do PCI vent covers really work? Again.. probably more of a placebo effect than anything.

The thing is its always easy to sell a consumer an idea and say its the greatest thing on the face of the planet and sell it. I mean the Antec 900 took off like wildfire but I think and always will think it was one of the most poorly designed cases around.

New things are not always better.
Old February 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
New things are not always better.
Can't agree more with that Enaberif.

BTX didn't all fail completely Enaberif, it just failed when they tried to push it to the mainstream market in hopes that board partners and case manufacturers would start to produce them. BTX is still quite alive in the OEM sector and will be around for quite a while and if you're looking its highly unlikely you'll find a BTX board in the retail market.

Regards,

EE
Old February 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Can't agree more with that Enaberif.

BTX didn't all fail completely Enaberif, it just failed when they tried to push it to the mainstream market in hopes that board partners and case manufacturers would start to produce them. BTX is still quite alive in the OEM sector and will be around for quite a while and if you're looking its highly unlikely you'll find a BTX board in the retail market.

Regards,

EE
Oh yah I know companies like Dell and such use the BTX form factor but yes the enthusiast market wasn't ready to have to shell out a bunch of money to get a new case.
Old February 19, 2009, 03:44 PM
MVP

Well it may not be better but it does show some different thinking, which is the important thing so keep up the idea train and we will all get better equipment. I do agree with the saying never say never. Next idea anyone?
Old February 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed as well on the "never say never". I'd hate to think how many Molex connectors you would be hooking up to power a GTX280 setup without the PCI-E connector :P
The BTX form factor was something I missed when I swapped my Dell for my current rig. Airflow from the front, over the CPU, then NB, SB, and finally the top PCI-E x16 slot before being exhausted out the back.