Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 02:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default A mini-tower build (first)

This is my first post here. I just happened to stumble on this gathering data for a build I am trying to do (my first FYI). Being Canadian this site seems right for me (I'm from Belleville unfortunately). Anyhow, I want a mini tower with a micro atx mobo because I go to different houses a lot and am SICK of laptops (had 1 for last 5 years), and am not a total game freak so it doesn't have to be top end. My budget is capped at 400$ (for now), so this is what I came up with... let me know if you see any incompatibilities or cost effective upgrades, or anything thoughts whatsoever are appreciated.

Mobo: Newegg.ca - ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
It seems decent to me, as it supports quad core which I hope to upgrade to soon and Asus says its am3 compatible.

CPU: Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Keeping it dual since quad is over my budget. Might OC it a little, but not my main concern.

GPU: Sticking with integrated till funds pick up (better than what I have right now: mobile Radeon 9700 pro 128mb).

Hard drive: 250gb is more than enough for now, but as for other specs I haven't put a lot of though into it.

Dvd/cd rom: Whatever is affordable, lol.

Ram: 2x2gb 800mhz DDR2, hopefully kingston

I'd love this case Newegg.ca - APEVIA X-QBOII X-QBOII-BK/500 Black SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases because it comes with a larger PSU and looks badass but I don't know if that's on the Queen's menu (affordable).
Old February 17, 2009, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

welcome and hello (Being Canadian this site seems right for me) that's what i thought. Sorry lived in tweed for a while. back to your build the only thing i can see is your power supply might not be the greatest but i don't know never heard of apevia but the rest looks good have not built a amd machine in about 2 years. my point with the power supply is yousaid you we moving it around a lot varried power from house to house you should try to buy name brand like corsair or ocz but pricey.
Old February 17, 2009, 05:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have a similar setup in my HTPC - see sig. The board is fine, as is the chip. You'll have enough Ram, but why stick to Kingston? OCZ, Mushkin, Gskill all are good names, with better sticks than Kingston - and sometimes cheaper too...

Also, are you sure you want an Apevia PSU?
Old February 17, 2009, 02:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah, the PSU is nothing fancy to say the least, it was just convenient that it came with the case and seemed better than other included psu's, and individual ones I looked at took a big chunk out of the wallet (decent ones anyway).

RAM doesn't have to be Kingston, its just what I've used with personal success.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't really trust that PSU, but to each their own...

I'd do something like this for a similar price:
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite 341 RC-341C-KKN1-GP Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.ca - SILVERSTONE ST400 400W ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply - Power Supplies

That case also uses a single 120mm exhaust rather than dual 80mm, if you care about noise since 80mm are generally noisier than 120mm.

For RAM, I'd go with these: Newegg.ca - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Unless you want to get el' cheapo Value stuff like this: Newegg.ca - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

BTW that ASUS motherboard is deactivated, so maybe get this one instead: Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Last edited by JD; February 17, 2009 at 04:39 PM.