Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 06:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Just finished my 1st build

I'm not a complete computer n00b but never having built a computer from scratch before I found the whole proposition to be a tad daunting; especially when I had all the parts laid out on our kitchen table.

I'm sort of amazed that I only made 2 errors on the whole build and they were easily remedied. Actually I found that the whole thing was a complete blast, from selecting the parts, to completing the build.

Here are the components that I used:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX - In retrospect I should have used a modular PSU

XFX GTX285

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

Cooler Master V10

Asus 22X burner

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

FYI, my idle temps with the V10 were a rather amazing 27C but it 's got to be the biggest, loudest and most expensive air CPU cooler around. Installing it in the HAF was a breeze but it really dominate the landscape. lol

I'll post some pictures of the rig in the next couple of days and hopefully be able to report some temps of the V10 under load. I'd love to see what Hardware Canucks thinks about this cooler and hopefully a full review is in the works.

I must have read well over 100 threads on these forums and wanted to thank you all for sharing your expertise. I also found the review of the Cooler Master HAF to be spot on and with all those fans huge fans blowing directly on the V10, I've got to think that was a contributing factor in the low temps.
Old February 10, 2009, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Do you mind telling what the 2 mistakes were because I am just waiting on my parts to get here and if I can avoid the mistakes you made it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old February 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like fun! Definitely take some pics of that cooler. I would lake to see how much space it takes up in the HAF. :)
Old February 10, 2009, 09:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely need to post some pictures and could you put the font size back to default? No need to make it so big...
Old February 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Definitely need to post some pictures and could you put the font size back to default? No need to make it so big...
Awww comeone JD, he's probably just bloody happy that:

1) He didn't start a small fire
2) It worked
3) Its just that damn cool to own new parts
4) That if all else failed, he could just fold and double the rig as a space heater

Waiting for the pics!
good job,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 10, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice build! And definitely interested on seeing some of that v10 cooler.. things are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 10, 2009, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
4) That if all else failed, he could just fold and double the rig as a space heater
Hey, don't steal my idea!

Yeah I know, I'm sure he's overly happy, I'd be too myself with a shiny new i7 rig, but I just find the big fonts a bit too "in my face".
Old February 10, 2009, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm really vision challenged and the larger fonts help me read the text at a reasonable distance. Otherwise I end up leaning into the monitor, which is a pia.

The mistakes I made were:

I didn't use the PSU units dedicated 8 pin connector to the motherboards EATX12V but tried using the PCI-E 6 pin, with the attached 2 pin connectors. The motherboards EATX12V has a series of square and U shaped holes and with my poor eyesight it looked like the dedicated 8 pin connector wouldn't fit but it did.

I installed the CPU cooler so it blocked access to the PCIEX16 slots - duh stupid n00b mistake, which I can't blame on my poor eyesight

I will take some pics but my wife's back in Buffalo visiting her relatives and took my camera with her. I mean really, which is more important, pics of the relatives, or pics of the computer?

The v10 doesn't take up all that much space in the HAF but compared to other coolers, you can't help but notice it.

lol soultribunal

BTW, I downloaded the user guides for the motherboard and the HAF to my old computer, which allowed for enlarged images of everything. That definitely facilitated my build because all I had to do was look at my monitor, vs. grabbing the printed instructions, finding the right page, balancing the instructions in one hand etc.

I also mounted a 120 fan in the slot on the bottom of the HAF and routed the wires to the rear panel; so the bay has as much clean airflow as possible.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sounds good Dogger1.

Quote:
I will take some pics but my wife's back in Buffalo visiting her relatives and took my camera with her. I mean really, which is more important, pics of the relatives, or pics of the computer?
That's a rhetorical question, right?
Old February 10, 2009, 05:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you have problems reading you could just increase your browser font size too, which in Firefox at least, increases the size of what you type in the textbox too but when you post it, others would see it at normal size.

And don't think I'm picking on you or anything, I don't really mind. My dad has to increase the font size in Firefox to read anything too, though you should consider seeing an eye doctor .