Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2009, 04:39 PM
Rookie

He said he didnt want to build up. Thats why I said DELL. I got a laptop 3 years ago from them and its been running fine, it was mainstream inspiron. I don't use it now because it is just too bulky to carry around compared to netbooks.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally, these days, I hear just as many good reports from Dell as I do bad, although that certainly wasn't the case a few years ago. But Dell can be lousy for proprietary hardware configurations, right down to things like custom plugs and cables. As a result, upgrades have to come from Dell, and you pay a premium for it.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Digikid look at the specs of each system CS is something you can easily deal with, but as far money is concerned the dell is clearly the better value here.

EE
Old February 9, 2009, 04:45 PM
Banned
F@H

Dell doesn't use custom parts any more on most desktops. Some sever-based machines, and office-boxen, yes, but they've even dropped BTX, etc.

Check out this review of the 730x...Dell XPS 730x H2C Intel Core i7 Gaming System - HotHardware

Support can be lacking, yes, but let me tell you...those call centers with peopel that barely speak english, most often, are in north america...during the day here, the people in india are sleeping!

If you pay for the warranty...and live in a major metropolitan area, service is good.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Are you guys crazy? Dell just plain SUCKS. Their customer support is next to none and the computers themselves cannot be upgraded in certain areas unless you put a DELL ONLY part in it. Good luck speaking to a CSR that can speak proper english.

Sry guys....but I say to BUILD one up.

Alienware is much worse. And actually I deal with Dell a bit, the service is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's smooth as silk, other times, not so much. For non tech savvy types I am sure it is fine. For me, I'd rather do it myself than have Dell do it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the help so far!

I was pretty sure I would get some heat from the many "Dell lovers" out there

And yeah, I know Dell owns Alienware; however, Alienware was ran as an independent subsidiary until recently.

The system will be used mainly for games, music and to watch DVDs.

The best scenario would be for me to order my parts and have someone assemble it for me. But like I mentioned, I am not sure the computer store I visited can be trusted with the latest tech.

I did not know NCIX assembled. Are they the only ones? What about Newegg?

Btw, are sound cards still worth a pci slot nowadays?
Old February 9, 2009, 05:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs-rage View Post
Thank you for the help so far!

I was pretty sure I would get some heat from the many "Dell lovers" out there

And yeah, I know Dell owns Alienware; however, Alienware was ran as an independent subsidiary until recently.

The system will be used mainly for games, music and to watch DVDs.

The best scenario would be for me to order my parts and have someone assemble it for me. But like I mentioned, I am not sure the computer store I visited can be trusted with the latest tech.

I did not know NCIX assembled. Are they the only ones? What about Newegg?

Btw, are sound cards still worth a pci slot nowadays?
You still haven't mentioned what part of the country you are in.... it's possible that somebody on this site is close enough to either lend you a hand, or barring that put it together for a small fee.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 9, 2009, 05:52 PM
Banned
F@H

For general use, no, a sound card is NOT a worthy investment. Onboards codecs, in combination with Vista, currently offer superior sound than previously available. If you have a specific audio use, then yes, a card is worthwhile, however you'll not find a decent one via Dell.

Any online store will build a system for you, for an additional cost. Usually costs $50-$125

However, it's the length and depth of the warranty that Dell offers, the 3-year completecare package, where accidental damage is covered, that give them an edge over online shops. I mean, sure, I priced out that system similar to the XPS730x, and that's the difference...the warranty...so you forgo the HD/bluray, the extra 750GB of storage space...for that warranty that should you drop your cup of coffee on your system, and it shorts it out, killing it... that they'll replace it, no questions asked.

For me, having used Dell service locally, that cost is very worthwhile...with 4 kids 7 and under, that piece of mind that my expensive toy will be replaced if my kids break it...that makes all the difference in the world...

Depending on your location, you may be able to contract out a build, but that warranty is something that it hard to ignore, at least for myself...to the point that I've been considering a Dell myself...just so I can feel safe leaving it in my living room.

But for my personal system sitting in my office...nobody will ever build that system except myself.

Last edited by cadaveca; February 9, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
You still haven't mentioned what part of the country you are in.... it's possible that somebody on this site is close enough to either lend you a hand, or barring that put it together for a small fee.

My bad, I am from Montreal, QC
Old February 9, 2009, 06:48 PM
Rookie

NCIX does build it for 50$. They usually dont install after market heatsink if it is too big because it usually damage the computer while shipping.