Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The poor guy he isn't made of money jdrom lol, but I must agree if you want to overclock gotta have the hardware to do it and unfortunately that requires $$$.

EE
Old February 13, 2009, 04:47 AM
Rookie

Smile

Yeh I am a poor mechanical engineering student who is stuck at course mostly but hope to get a job one day. Anyhow you are both right I should be happy with what I got at the moment then save up and get the same video card I wanted or a better one. Will the 500w PSU do any improvement of my current set up like for the e8200 2.66GHz WOLFDALE or the 8600GT 512MB I run a 400w PSU which came with the case.

Thanks people
Old February 13, 2009, 07:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
The poor guy he isn't made of money jdrom lol, but I must agree if you want to overclock gotta have the hardware to do it and unfortunately that requires $$$.
Yeah I know, I'm trying my best to save him money but things down in New Zealand aren't exactly cheap. And well anything to do with computers becomes rather expensive quickly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka101 View Post
Yeh I am a poor mechanical engineering student who is stuck at course mostly but hope to get a job one day. Anyhow you are both right I should be happy with what I got at the moment then save up and get the same video card I wanted or a better one. Will the 500w PSU do any improvement of my current set up like for the e8200 2.66GHz WOLFDALE or the 8600GT 512MB I run a 400w PSU which came with the case.
Well potentially, you could overclock now and should be stable. With that 400W PSU that came with your case, you'd probably end up crashing.

I think you could overclock your video card easier than your CPU and you'd still get some improvement in games. Look into RivaTuner. Just when OC'ing, go in small steps, say 10MHz at a time, and play your favourite game for a while to see if it's stable. You could also run something like FurMark instead if you really want to stress the video card without you having to do anything. Video cards can take more heat than CPUs, and your video card is much slower than your CPU IMO.

However as per you high CPU temps, could you post some pictures of the insides of your case? I'd like to see how your cables are managed and possible fan locations, cause then we could help you improve your cooling for minimal costs, unless fans are expensive down there too...