Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Loving those ICE blue LEDs Jake, but I wouldn't trade them for my noctua's any day lol.

Its amazing what a die shrink can do for power requirements in some cases.

EE
Old February 10, 2009, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Loving those ICE blue LEDs Jake, but I wouldn't trade them for my noctua's any day lol.

Its amazing what a die shrink can do for power requirements in some cases.

EE
Yeah, you've probably got my beat on airflow and noise, but not bling bling ! I have so many fans in that thing that I don't know how much difference better fans would even make LOL if I put all the fans on high, my temps don't even change!

And for some reason my camera won't bring out the true deep green those green fans are... they look strange, I'll get better pics with my buddies Canon Rebel XSI in a few days and put some up in the gallery..

To try and keep this on topic, here is my idle temps between the 2 video cards.. the first card is at 55% fan speed, and the 2nd card is at stock 30% fan speed.. just look at the difference! The 9800gtx is also on top, so will usually be hotter in any SLI system, but this is a big difference. So try to get 9800GTX+ if you can, it's much better, not just in speed!
Old February 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka101 View Post
Sorry this is crucial this is my motherboard
ASUS P5KPL-VM - motherboard - micro ATX - iG31 Motherboard reviews - CNET Reviews
will it be able to run the 9800gtx+ even thought my pci-express slots are 1.0 and believe the 9800gtx+ is pci-e 2.0. Also the Silverstone ST50F 500W Intelligent 120mm Power Supply has 1 x 8-pin EPS12V connector (750mm) where as you see in the specs of my motherboard mine has a 4-pin ATX12V connector so are they compatible.

Thanks
Some say the PSU comes with an adapter to convert the 8pin to 4pin. Even if it doesnt, you can still plug the 8pin in fine, just that 4 pins will hang over and it looks like there's room around the plug on the motherboard. Just don't force it in, only one set of 4pins will fit correctly.

You have a better chance of getting the adapter with the ST50EF. I found complaints of people about the ST50F saying they didn't get the adapter.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
Rookie

Smile

Question is looking at my motherboard specs
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
will my motherboard be able to handle it with the cpu FSB and other specs I don't know what the motherboard the 9800gtx+ needs to run it. Remembering I have an intel E8200 2.66GHz WOLFDALE CPU.

Strange Jake_HT a 9800gtx+ usually requires 2 x 6pin pci-e connectors to run as I have seen in many 9800gtx+ reviews yet yours runs on one.

Also jdrom 17 here is a article in chinese but you can see from the pictures what the
silverstone st50f 500w PSU contains I aint certain put it looks like it has both a 4 and 8 pin but need your help on that.

Thanks all for your ongoing help I am getting there and yeh Jake_HT for me it takes alot of research to get my system just right.

Last edited by baka101; February 10, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old February 10, 2009, 05:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You're motherboard will be fine with a 9800GTX+. I don't foresee any issues, though you should probably update the BIOS to the latest version just in case. You can find that here along with instructions: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

And going by that Chinese website, the ST50F (note the F) does NOT come with a 8pin to 4pin CPU power adapter, nor does it have a 4pin CPU power connector, only the 8pin. However it would appear that later models introduced a 4+4pin CPU power instead of having a solid 8pin, meaning that you can break away the un-needed additional 4pins. At least that's what Silverstone's website would leave me to believe. Newegg customer reviews said otherwise though.

However the ST50EF (note the EF), states that it does come with an adapter: SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration
Quote:
1 x 8-pin EPS12V to 4-pin ATX12V adapter (150mm)
And upon further inspection, the ST50EF (again noting the EF) has a much more robust design internally as well:

Compared to the ST50F (again, noting the F only)

You can see that the EF has more components and larger heatsinks which normally would suggest that it's a higher quality PSU. Another bonus is that most of the cables are sleeved on the EF as well so you'll have a cleaner look inside your case (if you have a side window). So I'd definitely go with the ST50EF (note the EF), and it's actually cheaper as well as previously mentioned. Many reviews for the EF as well which all seem to say it's a great PSU. Even JonnyGURU said so and he's pretty well known for doing great PSU reviews.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Smile

Everytime I go to place a order somewhere everyone has the same idea on what to get hence out of stock at a good price. So once being in New Zealand sux due to limited amount of stores you can get it from and limited price competition unlike in America you guys have it made i hope I didn't offend you.

Anyhow I may be going with this SilverStone ST50EF-Plus High-Efficiency Power Supply as I can't get the SILVERSTONE ELEMENT ST50EF ATX12V 500W POWER cause it is out of stock at the awesome price I wanted. It's $40 more dearer than the ST50EF which means I won't be able to afford the 9800gtx+ until much much later which is unfortunate, are there no brands you guys recommend that are 500w and cheaper than silverstone, I know I hear silverstone is great but is there other recommendations cheaper in price. I know you aint supposted to save $$$ when it comes to choosing PSU's as they are the fuel of the PC.

Thanks again
Old February 11, 2009, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Smile

What is a normal CPU temp?? mine runs at between 41 - 50c idle and that's my e8200, also it does up to 2149rpm and my Vcore stays at 1.27v and +12v is a constant 12.14v are these all normal reading.

Thanks

Last edited by baka101; February 11, 2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Everytime I go to place a order somewhere everyone has the same idea on what to get hence out of stock at a good price. So once being in New Zealand sux due to limited amount of stores you can get it from and limited price competition unlike in America you guys have it made i hope I didn't offend you.
Yeah I understand, I've heard bad things about Australia and PC hardware so I'm sure New Zealand is about the same. Like I said, if you know of any other stores you can order from, give me links and I'll take a look at what they sell.

I just don't want to see you waste money on a PSU that I know nothing about and then have it end up not working.
Quote:
What is a normal CPU temp?? mine runs at between 41 - 50c idle and that's my e8200, also it does up to 2149rpm and my Vcore stays at 1.27v and +12v is a constant 12.14v are these all normal reading.
That temperature seems a bit on the high side, though it really depends how warm your room is too. The RPM and voltage seems fine though.
Old February 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Smile

Ok I have a SILVERSTONE ELEMENT ST50EF-PLUS 500W POWER SUPPLY RETAIL purchased on its way, also due to budget limitations I had to delay my 9800gtx+ until June but by that time prices will have dropped and something else will have come out. So 500w for my e8200 cpu and 8600gt aint that bad, question can I get away with overclocking the e8200 and 8600gt so safely or not, also it seems my kingston hyperx ram can also be overclocked which is cool.

So thank you for your ongoing help guys its great.
Old February 12, 2009, 04:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sure you can OC though like I said, your CPU temperatures seem kinda high. Might want to consider getting a new heatsink first or improving your case airflow (adding fans, moving wires out of the way)