Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2009, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Although, all things consider water is really the best cooling option for an i7 rig.
I read in another thread that watercooling is really only to show off. He said you will probably only get a 20% - 30% improvment and it is 2 - 3 times the price of air cooling. I compared a water cooling rig to the air cooling im planning on getting and it was about 480$ while the air cooling is about 180$. Is all this money really worth it? If you have any suggestions for a liquid cooling rig for the i7 please let me know. I also need somewhere to buy it because i think the site im looking at now has american prices.

Also, on the subject of cooling, is Koolance a respectable brand for liquid cooling? They have a radiator that is 2x120 double pass and has a pump, reservoir, and temp moniter for $230 (again might be american) and it really goes well with my case.

i have LOTS of room for a liquid cooling system inside my case so thats definently no a problem. But i read in a review that the HAF will hold a 2x120 or a 3x120. Do they mean 1x120 and 2x120 bucause i saw a case with a 3x120 and took up almost the entire top.

Also is Danger Den a good name? They have a nice 2x120 for a descent price

1 more thing, is the Danger Den DD-CPX Pro as good as reviews say it is? It was a very nice price and is a nice size.

Last edited by Bubbzilla; February 8, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well before we get completely off topic I think we should get your system ironed out first, at this point I think aircooling would be the best and safest for you, h2o is something to consider down the road.

Also, I know little about watercooling and components my comment was merely something of an ideal or what I would like to do.

Regards,

EE
Old February 8, 2009, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

Well. Thank you all for your help. I thought about everything you said and revised my list:

Cooler Master Haf 932 $165.24
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB $137.88
LG 22x Dual Layer $29.99
LG 22x Light Scribe $32.81
Intel Core I7 920 $349.88
Asus P6T X58 Deluxe $367.50
Corsair TX 850W $138.55
NZXT Sentry LX $63.72
Samsung Syncmaster T240 24IN $318.88
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme $84.99
Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 3X2GB 1600MHz $219.78
EVGA GeForce GTX 295 $629.00

This is still not final. Also, does anyone know weather DirectCanada is a good source? Apperently they have free delivery if you get it by ground with Canada Post and they have really good prices. All of the prices above are from them.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice build there.

DirectCanada is good for sending out orders right away, but have bad customer support say you needed something to get RMA'd. Order from NCIX.com and price match the stuff with directcanada/newegg.ca that are cheaper. NCIX has fantastic support!
Old February 8, 2009, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

I was planning on getting the MoBo and CPU from newegg as a bundle, but there handling fee is so much that its more expensive
Old February 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbzilla View Post
I was planning on getting the MoBo and CPU from newegg as a bundle, but there handling fee is so much that its more expensive
Newegg does have great customer support also, only thing about them is that they only ship UPS, which from my experiences... sucks so bad.

But yeah it'd be good to keep it all to one place to avoid paying shipping from so many places... but I'd say keep to to NCIX for the most part, and price match what you can. If they don't have it, try newegg.. try to stay away from directcanada, especially for things like motherboards (things that would need RMA more often) but things like RAM, CPU cooler, thermal paste, processors, etc that barely ever come DOA, would be fine from there. NCIX you get to choose who you want to ship it (purolator, canada post, UPS (puke!), fedex , DHL/loomis... etc..

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

DirectCanada also lets you ship with purolator
Old February 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect

The only thing that I need to decide on now is weather or not to get sound card. I have bargain searched enough to get one more thing. First off, what is a decent price for a sound card or even better, what is the best sound card for the money? or am I just wasting my money? Couldn't I get just as good sound quality with $80 headphones? Also, does anyone have a HAF case? It seems like it would sound like a jet turbine. Another reason headphones would be a good option.
Also on the subject of the HAF case, I have read different specs in different places about the fans. Does anyone know the actual rpm for them?
Old February 8, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbzilla View Post
The only thing that I need to decide on now is weather or not to get sound card. I have bargain searched enough to get one more thing. First off, what is a decent price for a sound card or even better, what is the best sound card for the money? or am I just wasting my money? Couldn't I get just as good sound quality with $80 headphones? Also, does anyone have a HAF case? It seems like it would sound like a jet turbine. Another reason headphones would be a good option.
Also on the subject of the HAF case, I have read different specs in different places about the fans. Does anyone know the actual rpm for them?
You can't get as good of sound quality without a soundcard, it's a whole other level of audio, onboard doens't even come close. I'm using the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi xtreme gamer, and it has great sound for the price. It just might be the best bang for the buck sound card out. The ASUS Xonar DX also has great sound for the price, but I read of driver problems with some games... The Xtreme Gamer with XP works fantastic, I've had zero issues so far at all. I love it. There are better sound cards but are very expensive ($200+ range) but have spectacular sound.. Like Auzentech Prelude, Auzentech X-Fi forte, Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium, etc...
I love having high quality sound, so a sound card is a must for me... some people believe onboard suffices, but in reality, it's no comparison! Definitely not a waste of money. Unless you buy a cheap (less than $80) sound card, the difference is huge.

Lots of people have the HAF case, I don't but, I have an antec 1200 and it has 6x120mm case fans, and a 200mm fan up top, and I have 2x120mm fans on my heatsink, and it's not loud at all on medium fan settings (1500rpm).. if you put them on max, its really loud, but as long as you keep them low they're quiet, I'm sure the HAF is the same way? If I put mine on low, it's scary quiet, I don't like it

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Very nice build there.

DirectCanada is good for sending out orders right away, but have bad customer support say you needed something to get RMA'd. Order from NCIX.com and price match the stuff with directcanada/newegg.ca that are cheaper. NCIX has fantastic support!
That is when you do not get hung up on by their retarded phone system.

Overall that is a decent build. Good luck with it.