Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2009, 07:49 PM
Top Prospect

With CPU upgrades to Dell machines you might want to check and see if their bios supports the new cpu. If they made a model available with the new cpu then you might have a better chance than one they didn't sell. I only mention this because their bios are terribly skimpy on things you can change.

Dell also ships their machines loaded with garbage. A clean install should clear it out (hopefully the OS disk supplied doesn't reinstall the garbage).

If the 375w PSU doesn't handle the upgrades then you could look into a supplementary power supply that are designed to power the graphics card (takes this load off the other PSU).
Old January 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sorry, but upgrading your wife is never cheap.... At the very least the original model always takes half. :)
Found this on the web......

Tech Support Request
Last year I upgraded Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and noticed that the new program began creating unexpected child processes that took up a lot of space and valuable resources. No mention of this phenomenon was included in the product brochure. In addition, Wife 1.0 installs itself into all other programs and launches during system initialization where it monitors all other system activity. Applications such as Pokernight 10.3 and Beerbash 2.5 no longer run, crashing the system whenever selected. I can not seem to purge Wife 1.0 from my system. I am thinking about going back to Girlfriend 1.0 but un-install does not work on this program. Can you help me?
- Jonathan Powell

Dear Mr. Powell,
This is a very common problem users complain about but is mostly due to a primary misconception. Many people upgrade from Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 with the idea that Wife 1.0 is merely a "UTILITIES & ENTERTAINMENT" program.
Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and designed by its creator to run everything. WARNING DO NOT try to un-install, delete, or purge the program from the system once installed. Trying to un-install Wife 1.0 can be disastrous. Doing so may destroy your hard and/or floppy drive. Trying to un-install or remove Wife 1.0 will destroy valuable system resources. You can not go back to Girlfriend 1.0 because Wife 1.0 is not designed to do this. Some have tried to install Girlfriend 2.0 or Wife 2.0 but end up with more problems than with the original system. Look in your manual under Warnings- Alimony/Child Support. Others have tried to run Girlfriend 1.0 in the background, while Wife 1.0 is running. Eventually Wife 1.0 detects Girlfriend 1.0 and a system conflict occurs, this can lead to a non- recoverable system crash. Some users have tried to download similar products such as Fling and 1.nitestand. Often their systems have become infected with a virus. I recommend you keep Wife 1.0 and just deal with the situation.
Having Wife 1.0 installed myself, I might also suggest you read the entire section regarding General Protection Faults (GPFs). You must assume all responsibility for faults and problems that might occur. The best course of action will be to push apologize button then reset button as soon as lock-up occurs. System will run smooth as long as you take the blame for all GPFs. Wife 1.0 is a great program but is very high maintenance.
Suggestions for improved operation of Wife 1.0
  • Monthly use utilities such as TLC and FTD
    Frequently use Communicator 5.0
-Tech Support

My Rig

Intel i7 940
Rampage II Extreme MB
Corsair 6GB memory
Seagate 1.5TB HDD, Seagate 500GB HDD
BFG (Geforce GTX 295)
LG Blue Ray + HD Combo Optical Drive
Cooler Master HAF 932 case
Corsair HX1000 power supply
Samsung T260HD 25.5" LCD Monitor, NEC 1860NX 18" LCD Monitors
Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 Speakers
Logitech keyboard and mouse
MS Vista Ultimate 64bit.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol that was funny, where did you find that?

a 375W PSU is sounding a bit too small for a 9600GT should you decide to put one in there. For better cooling, if you have a dremel you can cut a hole and mount a fan on the side above the video card, and another one on the top for exhausting air. If you/your wife only run XP and do internet browsing/office work with minimal, if any gaming, then your computer should work great for just that purpose; if there's anything you should do it's backup your data and do a clean install of XP. Just as well, if you're only doing internet and office work, then a new video card is completely uncalled for, especially if the one you have in there now is still working and fairly new.

If you would really really like a new CPU then I would just replace it with the one that you already have instead of buying a new one; in which case the PSU will be plenty for just that combo of RAM, CPU, and HDD. Maybe it's not the CPU, it could be the RAM, in which case I would go and buy another stick of it if your mobo can fit it. Other than that as I said before the system should perform well for internet browsing and office work. If you really want to game then upgrade to a 400/450W PSU and get a 9600GT, it's excellent bang for the buck (and one of the only 9 series cards that isn't a re-branded 8-series card!)
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old February 1, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Dell 375 watt PSU isn't the usual "cheap" PSU, at least the one that comes with the Dimension 9200 and XPS 410/420. It sold with some of their old higher-end desktops which were equipped with a C2D and 8800GT. I ran FAH with a C2D E6400 and Radeon 4850 off that PSU for a few months (then I changed that Dell to a non-gaming PC and moved the 4850 to another PC).
I know my Radeon 4850 draws a good deal more than a 9600GT, so the PSU will be fine. The case's poor cooling will do you in
before the PSU does IMO.

Is that the same Inspiron 530 that is being sold right now? Dell seems to be selling it equipped with E7300, Q6600, and Q9400 CPUs...
Old February 1, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Hadda fix some F-in' typos =D

Ah, perhaps the PSU has some hidden bang for the buck. However, I am uncannily surpised at your ability to use it with a 4850 for a few months; whereas I was only able to use it for two weeks before my old 450W PSU crapped out on me.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old February 2, 2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

That was hilarious!!!!!!!