Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
Rookie

Default Hi new here, need some help

Hi, I am planning to build my first gaming rig, and I selected the NH-U12P to be cpu's heatsink, for ram I am going for the OCZ reaper (1066), my question is: is the fan of the heatsink going to collide with the heatpipe of the ram (I have saw many screenshots but the angles of them weren't of much help), I know I can put the fan on the other side of the heatsink, but eventually I'll want to use two fans.
Old January 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Really.....need some details.....
1. Purpose
2. Budget
3. Board
4. GPU
5. What Res to Game on
etc etc etc

BTW..Welcome to HC...hope you get as much out of ths Forum as I have!!

Old January 29, 2009, 07:10 PM
Rookie

GAMING RIG:

case: ATCS 840
gpu: HIS HD4870
ram: ocz DDR2 1066
cpu: AMD PHENOM II X4 940
cpu cooler: noctua NH-U12P
hard drive: WD velociraptor 300gb
dvd burner: lg 22x dvd burner black SATA model GH22NS30
mother board: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H ( I am waiting for the GA-MA790GP-UD4 but using the other one for reference, they very much alike, except for the features)
psu: corsair cmpsu-750tx 750w
OS: vista ultimate (I dont really like vista, but I want to use the directx 10.1 and for what I have read, it seems that xp can only use up to directx 9)

I know this quantity of parts is not enough to fully use the case and that the psu has more power that I need, but I am planning of adding more parts in the future, so the case is to not have to worry fo space (also I really like the classy style) and the psu is the same case but for power.

Old January 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Couldn't find any definite reference, but I wouldn't give good odds. Those reaper modules have a fair bit of height to them, and the memory slots are fairly close to the socket area on that board. You should probably plan on either using only one fan, or getting some normal-profile memory sticks.
Old January 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Also...why Vista Ultimate..?....unless you're getting a "great" deal just go with Vist Home Premium....64 Bit.
Also is the VRaptor Drive already purchased??...save yourself some more coin and go with a WD Caviar Black....
Other than that, cannot comment on the AMD stuff!!

Old January 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably better off with like G.SKILL, OCZ Platinum XTC, Mushkin Redlines for RAM instead since they all have much smaller heatsinks which should fit under the CPU heatsink.

And yeah, Vista Home Premium is fine unless you're getting a good deal on Ultimate. Also make sure its the 64bit version.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:07 AM
Rookie

Thank you all for all the help and advices you have gave me, I dint know that there was a 64 bit version of vista that wasnt ultimate , I will buy a caviar black 500 gb cache 32, ocz platinum (they were the backup plan), and rjbarker you said AMD stuff!! in a good way or bad way? if is bad tell me the reasons, I have read some reviews about that cpu, what I have unsderstood is that it has the same or inferior in comparison with others quadcores, but the graphics I watched also showed that in some cases the phenomII had equal or a little more performance than the other ones (the i7 doesnt count for me, the opponent of that cpu is the one with the AM3 socket, and I havent read a review of that cpu).
All advices will be really appreciated.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hi there! Welcome to the forums!

I think personally the AMD Chip is a very nice one, from what I have read. So, don't worry too much about it. For the HD the reason they said the WD 640 is because compared with a WD 500 it is actually faster due to the platter layout (same with the 320 I believe).
That and I own 3 Raptors...they can get noisy from time to time :)

If your doing any kind of OC'ing the Mushkins mentioned by Jdrom would probably be better suited to your needs.
Otherwise everything else looks good!

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 30, 2009, 08:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreg365 View Post
I will buy a caviar black 500 gb cache 32, ocz platinum (they were the backup plan)
Go with the 640GB version as it's faster and I don't think it's much more than the 500GB. Either way, cheaper than the Raptor.

Another way to save money, you could run the Windows 7 Beta until August but I'm not sure you want to use Beta software for that long even though it is a pretty stable OS. However I'm pretty sure a RC or Beta 2 will come out before August as well which would be even more stable and give you run time past August most likely.

If you honestly don't like Vista, and you've actually tried to use it, then don't bother buying it for now. Not many games use DX10 anyways so it's not a big deal IMO.