Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default New here.. need some help

Hi, I'm about to close in my build for my new rig(enduring from long wait of several dell DoD and ncix/newegg specials). Still got a few part that I am unsure what to do.... here it goes:

Quote:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming: Wow, Eve online Also looking for dual monitor option office work. Abit memory intensive. I also have a tendency of opening 30+ tabs of web browser and multiple application(no PS or something that goes crazy on core tho)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Most piece completed...... but have a 1200 budget

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

See below

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Did some read... but not extensivly

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Not really plan to overclock but open to suggestion.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Now
Computer I am currently using:

CPU - Q6600
Memory - G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 *2
GPU - 8800gt xfx

Parts I have obtain:

CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor - 169.29
Memory - Unknown
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro - 148.99
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 775MHZ 1GB - 264.99
CASE - Unknown
PSU - Corsair TX650W - 109.99 (stupid me who cancelled the TX750 order for 100.99 not knowing I will delay the build for that long)
Hard drive - Unknown but will running on strip
CPU Cooling - Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - 49.99

Need help:

Memory - I just did a RMA for a set of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX (4GB pair), I think the board support up to 1200mhz memory. I am looking at stealing the set of ram from the old computer or using the 6400 corsair. How much difference I am looking at?(as the timing in the g.skill seem to be better also.).

Hard drive - I have 2 hdd that I havn't use yet, 1 is the wd 500gb aaks 16mb cache and another is the plagued seagate 500gb 32mb cache sd15(from thailand ). I heard seagate released a firmware upgrade for the harddrive to fix the problem but it made it worse. I still need to buy 1 more hard drive and put it on strip 0 (I noticed my hdd is my bottleneck and hopefully this solution will help. If you were me which path will you take?

OS: I am one of those slow mover(refuse to go to xp when 2000 was much stable...). Vista has been released for a good amount of time and I wanted to know is it stable enough to move up(the special from td is tempting me if seagate hdd will be my choice)? or should I stick with the good ole xp?

CASE: I was so happy when I picked up a P180 mini for 79.99 when I was at toronto and cc had a boxing day sale. but now I noticed I can't fit my board to the computer..... any recommendation on the case that won't break my pocket but yet able to stick a 4870? Looking for like 150$ and my area(montreal have horrible price for case)

PSU: does it have enough juice to power another 4870 should I have a oppertunity to get another one? hopefully the case is long enough for the card

Cooling: Should I be looking additional help to substain a reasonable temp? my old computer with p182 and 8800gt was hitting 78+ c when running minor game and I was very worried... so worried that I pulled Cyclone Blower that came from my antec aria and place it below the gpu!

I posted some small detail about my computer, I kinda traded the 2 core for the extra speed(am nto a overclocker!) and first time in my life using a ATI card. Will I see a minor performance gain? What are some of the things that I should drop/switch as I can sell them to my friend and get some other parts?

Last edited by belinik; January 29, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Belnik- welcome to HWC

I'll try to answer a few of your questions-

Vista- Vista is very stable now- much improved. At this point I'd recommend 64 bit so you can take advantage for more than 3.2ish GB of RAM (32 bit OS has limited memory address). 64 bit vista runs great and is well supported.

PSU- for SLI Crossfire, you could swing it with a 650 with no overclocking, but all that gear cries to be overclocked- I would go for a 750

Case- I would research to see if you video cards and coolers fit in that case- maybe someone around here knows off the top of their head.

I wouldn't bother with Raid on those hard drives- you'll just risk losing data for a small gain.

With very little reading you can enter the bios and turn that e8400 up to about 3.6 GHz in 30 seconds and with that gear, it would be a shame not to- we'll help if you want. Sounds like you definitely have enough tech savvy to go for it.
Old January 29, 2009, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go with the G.SKILL memory or any DDR2-1000/1066 if your overclocking. DDR2-800 will just hold you back.

The 650W will be fine with the single HD4870 and it doesn't sound like your running Crossfire right away so you don't need to bother upgrading the PSU just yet IMO.

Case, Antec 300 maybe? They are pretty cheap and should be big enough. Not sure why you bought the P180 mini since it only supports mATX motherboards. However you could get a mATX motherboard instead if you'd rather use the P180 mini.

Cooling, if you get a good case with lots of ventilation, you shouldn't need those stupid blowers. They are just loud and annoying IMO. Also the 4870 is a dual-slot card so the hot air exhausts outside of the case unlike the 8800GT which just blew hot air into the case.

As for RAID, since you have an Intel chipset, you could do Matrix RAID and run some of it in RAID0 and the rest in RAID1 so you could keep data safe and leave your OS/Programs/Games on the RAID0 part. You'd only need the 2 drives you have for this as well.

Should perform better than your Q6600/8800GT at stock though personally I'd keep the Q6600 and overclock it to 3.2-3.6GHz since quad-cores are quickly gaining popularity in games and applications.
Old January 29, 2009, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Time for my small Plug.

NZXT Tempest or CoolerMaster CM690 should do you just fine for a case.

Tempest is around 115-129ish , CM690 is less than that.
Both Come with quite a few Fans to start off with,
Tempest , 4 120mm / 2 140mm.
CM690 2-3 120mm fans.
Both cases will fit those parts (unless I'm mistaken?) , and give great ventaltion for all your gear.

My thoughts,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry- I'm not quite clear on that part list- by "parts I have obtain" do you mean "parts I have to obtain" or "parts I have obtained"? Do you own everything in that list already?
Old January 29, 2009, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

wow that's quick :D thanks for the replies!

yea the case thing was abit silly.... I happened to drive up to toronto with my sister on a trip from montreal during boxing day... going pass the mall I saw there is a cc and ppl taking those case out. I was very happy with my p182 and my previous case(sonata*2, aria*2, NSK4480) that I picked up a P180 without doing any research(my place have horrible horrible price on case! and never have a single special going on with decent pricing, sometimes those reason makes me wanted to move to toronto and vancouver).

I kinda have 2 solution to the case, either I sell the P5Q Pro and go for a DFI LP Jr P45-T2RS mATX

or

Ditch the p180 and get another case...

Quote:
Dimensions L (Inches)
N/A
9.5 Inches Dimensions W (Inches)
N/A
4.376 Inches Dimensions H (Inches)
N/A
1.5 Inches Dimensions L (Metric)
N/A
24.1 Dimensions W (Inches)
N/A
4.376 Inches Dimensions H (Metric)
N/A
From the looks of the card it seems like a refrence design so I guess I can find any case that can fit a normal 4870.....

@ Babrbarossa

sorry that's parts I have obtained(my build started on september 08 when I saw that sexy price on the E8400) but I can sell any parts to a friend who also asked me to work on a build for him :)

off to supper will be back to add more info
Old February 4, 2009, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have decide to jump the gun on TX 750/850 depend on value, and sell the 650 out in the market
I am still looking at the case and so far I am looking at another p182, 932 haf or 900 two, tbh I don't want the 932 since it's a full tower and I love my computer on the table(I heard it's huge but I never had a full tower in my life). What other case is popular?(mid/full tower)
Old February 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinik View Post
I have decide to jump the gun on TX 750/850 depend on value, and sell the 650 out in the market
I am still looking at the case and so far I am looking at another p182, 932 haf or 900 two, tbh I don't want the 932 since it's a full tower and I love my computer on the table(I heard it's huge but I never had a full tower in my life). What other case is popular?(mid/full tower)
CoolerMaster 590/690.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A 4870 Crossfire will fit in the P180, you just have to sacrifice the top hard drive bay. With the removal of the top hard drive bay you will get better air in take.

The 650Watt should be enough for a C2D + 4870 Crossfire. Dual GPUs require require 600Watt as it saids on the ATi site.

Either way, Its an awesome case and a kick ass Asus board. If i were to pick between the case or the motherboard, i give up the case. Why? because it only fit a Matx board and the case is by no means small due to its mobo fit size + the fact you have to sacrifice a hard drive bay to fit a cross fire in the future. Also Matx are really hard to work with.

Good deal on the GPU, i hesitate to buy the XFX 4870 when Ncix had it on sale due to it's reference cooler

Last edited by Silvgearx; February 4, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old February 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Whoa.

Quote:
Computer I am currently using:

CPU - Q6600
Memory - G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 *2
GPU - 8800gt xfx
These are the parts you already own? And what is the problem... worst case change the GPU. What's your motherboard again?

Sorry, but I don't understand why you want to change your rig for similar components.