LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Whoa.

These are the parts you already own? And what is the problem... worst case change the GPU. What's your motherboard again?

Sorry, but I don't understand why you want to change your rig for similar components.
For a second i was gonna said give the new guy a break. But after i read the post more carefully

Yea, what charlie said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Sorry- I'm not quite clear on that part list- by "parts I have obtain" do you mean "parts I have to obtain" or "parts I have obtained"? Do you own everything in that list already?
wasn't paying attention to babrbarossa's post
Old February 4, 2009, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

ahhh..

mobo on the old 6600 p35-ds3r

Reason I change rig is because I need one more new computer, and I will drop the current computer for my sister who uses program that can benefit more with Quad core and a speed upgrade from her 3000+ amd 64 s939.

I purchased my 8400 ~3 months ago for 179 because I thought it was a killer deal, I know there isn't much performance increase compare to the 6600(well the fact I gain some speed given I never overclock even with a G0 rev 6600.... please don't kill me )

speaking of which I did some checking on the price and I may just sell the cpu(it's unopen box... I guess I can push it to 200$ and I can still sell it?) and pay ~150 more to get a better cpu... (urg... 920 is already in that price range, maybe 9400? not really sure does it worth the price jumping from 6600 if I decided to overclock it, already have a decent ninja mounted on it)

Last edited by belinik; February 4, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old February 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Good, you're not changing the Quad for just a faster chip. Then the Q9400 becomes a good option.
Old February 4, 2009, 06:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

just got the shinny gfx card and noticed it requires 2 pci-e connector so gonna need to hit up the 750 for sure :rtfm: damm power hungry cards

Last edited by belinik; February 4, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Finally have settled down on all the parts:

CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor - 169.29
Memory - G. Skill 8000 4gb -old system but ncix price ~59
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro - 148.99
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4870 XXX 775MHZ 1GB - 264.99
CASE - CM 923 HAF - 184
PSU - Corsair TX 750 - 120
Hard drive - WD6401AALS - 99.99
CPU Cooling - Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - 49.99

I have decided to push the 8400.... I think my goal will be hitting 3.4-3.6(I am not gonna push too hard since this comp will be running most likly 24/7) Not sure how well I will do since I am new to OC and hopefully the parts are OC friendly

BTW, anyone got any good cable management guide? My first attempt on the p182 + antec TP3-650 didn't went that well but with this HAF and tx750 I am hoping I can do a better job(got butter fingers :D )
Old February 6, 2009, 01:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinik View Post
BTW, anyone got any good cable management guide? My first attempt on the p182 + antec TP3-650 didn't went that well but with this HAF and tx750 I am hoping I can do a better job(got butter fingers :D )
When it comes to cable management the HAF is as good as it gets.

"
Flipping the case over (and removing the other side panel) we can see that Cooler Master has taken the time to really think about and then engineer a great cable management system. Many cases on the market allow you to route your cables behind the motherboard on the other side of the case but this is the first time this idea has been taken to the Nth degree. Unlike others which give you a cutout at the bottom to route the various power connectors with one along the side (or leave this area open making it one big hole) to bring the cables back and a final at the top for your 12v 4/8 pin power cable; this gives you all these and a heck of a lot more."

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case Review
Old February 6, 2009, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Looks like that will be a realy nice system, you will have to get some pics up when it's put together, good choice to overclock! and have fun with the build! Once you get into overclocking you won't look back...
Old February 7, 2009, 11:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Got the rig basic assembled, there was a slight hiccup with 1 of the stand off screw but overall it seems ok. Installing windows and I found some issue:

the 4870 is HOT! I havn't install the side panel fan yet but it shouldn't be that hot even idle 3 minutes as it is a dual card(my 8800 gt does not seem to be that hot at all. I see the fan is moving but I am unsure if it is sucking proper amount of air. The vent in the dual slot give out some very hot air and I fear it may melt the plastic wire I have(dvi etc)

am gonna work on the cable management after I tested all part being functional. Due to the design of HAF I don't know can I even close the side case without forcing to bend the wire, also where do most ppl put the excessive long cable from the psu?
Old February 8, 2009, 06:57 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Force the fan speed to 35-40%, and you will see a major drop in GPU temps.