Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2009, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Default Non gaming build- Bit of a read.....

You can skip this part and go right to where I start talking or read it from this questionare thing, both have pretty much the same info, just forgot to fill out the questionare till I was done and ended up putting the same info prettymuch later.....oops.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Video converting but not editing, very light gaming (I have a 5600 Ultra right now to show how little I game), Schoolwork, My buddy wants me to start to code programs with him so if I get interested in that than coding i guess, watching movies and possibly streaming them to a 37" LCD

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1000, i can go a little over, as in the systems I have pieced together on my own are, but I would like to drop them down to about $1000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada, probably pricematch from NCIX

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No preferance, bang for the buck is who i'm loyal to.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None, brand new from the ground up computer.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes, quite a few, started about a month ago, I think I am more knowledgable than when I started but I feel more confused lol.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Clock speeds for a while maybe......like the first day, than overclock.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Soon, next couple of weeks, unless there are some major price drops anyone has rumour of, than I can wait, but if its like, "Oh, Intel is going to be lowering prices $5" than I won't be upset if I do happen to buy just before that happens kinda thing.

Hi, I am currently in the middle of putting together myself a non-gaming build and am unsure of whether to go with Intel or AMD. I have a $1000 Canadian budget (including monitor). Here are the two systems I am looking between right now, any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
I am looking to buy all from NCIX but these prices are from all different stores as I plan to just pricematch everything.

Intel:
Q9550- $350
MX 518- $50
Microsoft Curved Comfort Keyboard- $15
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB- $90
Samsung SH-S223F DVD writer- $30
Sonata 3 with 500W PSU- $120
Asus 4650- $85 (Will this do for light gaming, ex. Half life 2 and HD playback?)
G-skill 4GB- $60
Motherboard-??? Can anyone reccomend a good overclocker that doesnt have CF or SLI or fancy stuff that I dont need for around $100? Or is $150 more the average price?
Acer X223WBD 22in- $185
Total $1135+ probably about $60 for a good aftermarket cooler so roughly $1200+taxes+shipping= over my budget, any suggestions on where to cut costs?

Or.....the AMD build:

Same mouse+keyboard+HDD+DVD Drive+Case+PSU+Video Card+Ram+Screen=$635
Phenom 940- $275+FREE shipping for entire order
Motherboard- MA790GP-DS4H- $170 (Does anyone have any suggestions for a different *read:cheaper* motherboard? Once again, don't need CF or SLI or anything fancy.)
Total: $1080+$60 cooler (suggestions?) is $1140+taxes+FREE shipping.

After taxes and shipping roughly $150 difference, is their that much of a performance difference? Also, the AMD build, even being cheaper, is still over budget so if you can see or suggest any way to reduce cost while not comprosing that much quality it would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.

And maybe I am way off base here, if you have a better build for around $1000 don't be afraid to throw it in here, I am open to all suggestions as this is the first time I am building a computer.

Sorry about all the writing but I wanted to try and not leave any info out, once again, thanks for reading.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"All the writing" is better than being very vague :)
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but it looks like prices have increased from the holidays... Anyway here's a few things I've seen around that may answer questions / drop the price a little for you:

- On the Intel side, look at the Asus P5Q-SE, which is a P45 board without CF. According to the HWC price compare it runs around ~120-130. You also chose a very high-end C2Q for that CPU; you know you can drop the price by choosing a less powerful one. Intel quads aren't my specialty, so I'll let the overclocked Q6600 fans chime in ;)
- Your choice of GPU is fine for light gaming with all current titles. I maxed Half-Life 2 (original and Episode One) with no AA on a GeForce 7900 GS, so the 4650 should allow "high" settings in pre-Crysis games easily. On the nVidia side I'm sure I saw GeForce 8800GTs selling for much lower than $85 but I don't have the time to hunt that down.
- Newegg is selling G-skills for $49.39, if you don't mind 5-5-5-15 timings.
- If you opt for the AMD build you can cheap out on RAM and favor CPU multiplier on your OC. At least on my Phenom 9950 the CPU gets pegged long before RAM timings come into play. You may be able to drop the AMD motherboard price ~$30 by choosing a motherboard based on the 780G northbridge, if you don't mind losing the ACC on the overclock. Example: Newegg.ca - ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
In my experience with the Phenom 9950 BE, the ACC didn't help my overclock enough to be noticeable; it had the roughly same effect as increasing the VCore by 2 ticks, whatever Asus's VCore increments are measured in.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the reply and advice. That looks exactly like the kind of motherboard I was wanting but could not seem to find on my own so thank you for that. The ram looks good too, i'm fine with the 5-5-5-15 timings. With those suggestions you've dropped my price about $80, so thank you for that. With the intel, yes, I know I have chosen a high end cpu, i was just reading that the phenom 2 940 competes basically with the Q9450, right? And when I was checking out the prices on the 9450 it was $350 just like the 9550, so I could drop it down to the Q9400 for roughly $300, saving $50, or go with the Q8200 for $200, but I read that the 8200 don't overclock all that well and are crippled by the 4MB of cache.

Than again, on the AMD side I could drop the 940 for the phenom 920 and save a little more cash, but I'm having toruble locating people sharing their 920 overclocking results, oh well, guess I'll just look harder. Thanks for the advice, I now have something to chew on.

Edit: found this 920 overclocking page: Phenom II 920 owners - What are your overclocking results? - techPowerUp! Forums

Last edited by dmelchart; January 25, 2009 at 09:13 PM.