Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2009, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default Some specific questions about my new build !

Here is the missing part for my new build that i'm going to order soon but i have a few questions..

- CPU: I will buy the Q9650
- Hard Drives : I will buy 2x WD Black Caviar 640GB
- Burner : Pioneer DVR-216

The rest of the build is : (already got all the parts)

- Case : Antec 900 (i also have a Antec 300)
- PS : Corsair 750TX
- MB : Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
- RAM : 4 x 2GB Mushkin Redline PC8000
- GPU : Bfg GTX260 OC Maxcore
- Keyboard : Logitech G15
- Mouse : Logitech G9

The questions now :

- For the burner i'm not sure which one to get... the Dvr-216 got good review but is there something better ?

- should i get a good Cpu Cooler ? (i do not plan to OC, at least not soon)
if so which one i should get ? (be sure it will fit)

- For the Antec 900 i would like to have dust filter, is there any filter that can fit the case without modifications?
Is the antec 300 filter can fit the 900 case ?

- Do i need Thermal paste to install the Q9650 on the MB ?

With answers to those questions i will be ready to order missing parts and put everything togeter.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Maculosa; January 22, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

pioneer = best imho
900 is tough to do anything about for dust period
stock cooler comes with paste which is equivalent to mx-2 and will do fine
Old January 22, 2009, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hi there, Hopefully this will help.

Thermal Paste Goes between the CPU and the Heatsink, not the CPU and the Motherboard so you have no worries there.

Now, I always suggest getting an Aftermarket heatsink, even though for now if you don't overclock and plan to later...you will most likely have to strip the Motherboard out to replace the heatsink, some of us don't mind doing that, to others it can be a pain.

There are many HSF that fit your processor Selection.

Everyone will have their own Opinion, but I will state mine.

ZeroTherm Nirvana / ZeroTherm FZ-120

or

OCZ Vendetta 2 / Thermalright Ultra Extreme (T.R.U.E.)

All have posted good numbers for Air Cooling.

Just my thoughts, I can't suggest on the Burner, I have used Samsung for mine, and no complaints there. Just steer Clear of some LG's (personal bad experiences, 2 DOA's , terrible customer support).

I have never used either Antec Case, so hopefully someone else can post on that.

Good luck, Solid looking build!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for answer..

It is those Aftermarket heatsink will come with paste ? or i have to order my own thermal paste ?
Old January 22, 2009, 10:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think every Aftermarket Heatsink comes with Thermal Paste (Or TIM for short).

Personally speaking, I buy my own seperate TIM however.
Most of the TIM these days is pretty good unless you get a really low end unit.
The one I prefer, is OCZ Freeze.
Again, this is up to the individual preferance of the user, as you will find everyone here has there own ideas of what works for them.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 23, 2009, 03:35 AM
Top Prospect

The OCZ Vendetta 2 is the less expensive of the group and look to perform on par with others cooler.. look like a winner for me!
Old January 23, 2009, 05:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Good Choice, that is a solid Air Cooler for sure. I know a few people on here use them and like how they perform.

Good luck on the build,

ST

Old January 23, 2009, 08:15 AM
Rookie

I have the Xigmatek S1283 for my Q9550, which is essentially the same as the Vendetta 2, and it's a great cooler. I'd recommend getting the Thermalright Bolt-thru kit though since push-pins are a pain to install.

I've also noticed slightly lower temps after installing the bolt-thru kit. Nothing huge, just a couple of degrees.

I'm not sure if the Vendetta 2 comes with thermal paste but the Xigmatek came with a small package that was already dried up. I got some MX-2 and it seems to working fine.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Skruch, was your HDT-S1283 on sale for a few months? :D

Pretty much any thermal paste should do the job, but some do it better than others. This said, you will get by with a no-name brand tube of generic white stuff. However, if you want to really have the cooling asurrance you have to buy some name-brand stuff. There's the OCZ Freeze, Arctic Cooling MX2, Arctic Silver 5, etc. All work good, and cost about $10 a tube, give or take a couple of bucks.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

For now i'm going to order the Ocz vendetta 2 with a tube of Ocz Freeze (can be found for around 5$)...

Is the Thermalright Bolt-thru kit fit with the Ocz Ocz vendetta 2 ? it is really necessary since i will install the cooler while having MB in hard... ?