Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Default need advice on graphics cards and hdd

hi i'm looking at buying 2 bfg 9800gtx+ to run sli but would the cheaper 9800gtx be ok or maybe the 9600gt i will be using it for mmo's i.e starwars galaxies also looking at a 150gb western digital velociraptor will i notice the difference in the speed or should i just stick withe the normal 500gb any advice welcome

i will be using the rig for gaming mostlylike i said mmo's and crysis etc, will be purchasing parts in uk

thanks for looking
andy

my rig so far:
thermaltake kandalf lcs
asus crosshair mobo
atherlon 64 x2 6000+
thermaltake 750w toughpower

Last edited by dubbaz; January 20, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I'd stick with the 9800GTX+ I don't see the 9800GTX around much and prices pretty much on par with the + edition as for the 9600GT that would be an even bigger step down from the 2. I'd look at some of EVGA products sometimes they tend to be cheaper than BFG and have comparable perks. Furthermore its important to consider that while SLI is a viable option you must consider how well the game will scale by that I mean will it utilize SLI to its full potential and also consider what resolution you'll be gaming at, I hate to see little to no improvement from just using 1 card and having spent all that money. You might also consider a single more powerful card like the GTX260 or Radeon 4870 1Gb although it could potentially be a little bottlenecked by your current setup it will offer you excellent performance at any resolution and will be a cheaper solution to purchasing 2 cards and you'll have room for a soundcard.

EVGA GTX260 - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices It would be my choice to your current situation

EVGA 9800GTX+ - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

BFG 9800GTX+ - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

A 150Gb western digital velociraptor will always show a noticeable improvement, I think if your case if you can afford it A 500Gb or a 640Gb drive for your OS and applications and for speed the raptor for games.

http://www.shopbot.ca/default.asp?orderby=p&p1=&p2=&kw=WD+Velociraptor+1 50GB&position=search

WD 640GB Black - Price Comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices

EE
Old January 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second a good 640GB hard drive. No need to spend that kind of money on a VelociRaptor.

As for your GPU, Get a 9800GTX+ or ATI 4850. More than enough for your needs assuming you game at 1680X1050. If you want more eye-candy for games such as Crysis, then the GTX260 Core 216 or ATI 4870 would be the way to go.
Old January 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
Rookie

thanks for the advice motherboard came with its own sound card ASUSTeK Computer Inc. so space isn't a problem how will i know if the games i play will use all the sli ? also isn't 2x9800gtx+ gonna be better than one gtx260 this is the first gaming pc i have build i have a lot of trouble with lag on starwars galaxies and crysis well haveing alot of trouble playing that from start good idea about the hdd will look at them now

thanks again
Old January 20, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Uh.....is that not an Intel Chipset Board....doesn't support SLI. You have no choice but to go Single nVidia or 2 x ATI Crossfire....should make your decision making easier....you're purchasing in UK correct?
Here's a link a buddy over on another European vased Forum uses for pricing..
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...d=701&catid=56

Good luck!

Old January 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Rookie

[quote=rjbarker;141258]Uh.....is that not an Intel Chipset Board....doesn't support SLI. You have no choice but to go Single nVidia or 2 x ATI Crossfire....should make your decision making easier....you're purchasing in UK correct?
Here's a link a buddy over on another European vased Forum uses for pricing..
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...d=701&catid=56

Good luck!

the board is sli only it won't support the ati's
Old January 20, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep sorry, my mistake nForce chipset...
Anyhow...here's a possible GPU in UK
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...tid=56&subcat=

Cheers

Old January 20, 2009, 03:20 PM
Rookie

thanks mate will check the site out so is running sli better than 1 card?
Old January 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As Eagle E explained and I agree...a Single Card solution is preferable over Multi Cards....I run two because there were no options better than a 280 a few months ago except for 2 280's. You'll have to check Benchmark speeds etc but I would rather go with a decent 260 Core 216 or even a 280 over 2 x GTX 9800 +. I belive it would cheaper as well....not knowing your Budget nor Benches comparing 2 x 9800 GTX+ vs Single GTX 260 mkaes a little trickier, just Google it! Things definitely do look a little pricier there than here!
Also, yes, as mentioned, go with the Caviar Blacks vs the Velociraptor.

Old January 20, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used all CAD websites