Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Default Need some advice for new gaming PC

Hy everyone, been browsing this site for awhile since I decided I was going to build a new, current laptop had its second video card fry on me... thanks Dell..... So decided to get back into the PC world seeing as I missed my old one so much.

I have many questions for all your experts but first I will lay out my ideas so far.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, and some photo work.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

I don't really have a budget seeing as I am going to slowly build it, getting parts with each paycheque, since I don't wanna blow all my free cash at once.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I have always used Nvidia for vid cards and had no problem at all, but I mean if the right argument was made I would switch to the dark side.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a old Antec Neopower 480 PSU not sure if that is gonna cut it though, and a couple old 250 GB HD's

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Have read lots of threads on here so far.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I would like to overclock, havent delved much into it in a few years, but nothing extreme maybe just some mild tweaks.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Over the next little while, can start buying parts today if the price is right.

Ok so far, I have some things planned out, but it will probably all be changed thanks to everyone on here.

Main thing I need to figure out is case, Mobo and Processor.

The case I can't decide on since everyone on here has given good reviews to all these cases, I was gonna spend around 100-150 on a case but a bit more will go if its needed.

Coolermaster HAF 932
Coolermaster CM / NV 690
NZXT Tempest
Thermaltake VH8000BWS Armor +
Antec 300
Antec 900

I am looking to do an intel chip , seeing as from the last time I did AMD, it's not as much as a big deal anymore for gaming to go AMD. Intel seems to do a fine job. I am just not sure, I don't think I need the i7 chip, seems a bit to pricey when I can get a decent quad core for cheap, just not sure what the best bang for the buck series is.

Mobo I have seen lots of decent ones bit the Asus P5N-T seems like a good all around motherboard, and will last for awhile, when other upgrades come and go. But again open to opinions.

For video card I was looking a eVGA OC 280, seems like a good all around card for the money, and down the line I could SLI it with another.

Ram will probably get 4 Gigs of Mushkin not sure what yet, since Mobo is still somewhat undecided.

I will get a purchased copy of Vista for this as well.

Monitor will eventually be a 22" or there abouts, just waiting to find a good deal on one.

Ok well, sorry if this is a lot to read, hopefully someone can give me some feedback , would be really appreciated, and I will answer any questions of info I have missed out on, hopefully I didn't.

Thanks alot,

Keegan
Old January 18, 2009, 04:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hi and welcome!- I would recommend waiting until you have enough monry to buy all the necessary parts for a working system. Otherwise, you'll be spending money on rapidly ageing parts and won't even be able to use them until they're already outdated. The other aspect is that by the time you buy your last component, the first component will liekly be cheaper- and if you're ordering online, there's shipping costs involved. What you might want to consider is, frequenting the FS threads here, as there are quite a bit of fairly current and well-priced used parts that move through here.
Old January 18, 2009, 08:44 AM
Rookie

Hey, thanks for the advice, should have been more clear, didn't mean over the next 6 months meant just not in 1 day.
I have some updates though, since I ordered some stuff , let me know if there is any suggestions.

eVGA 750i FTW SLi Mobo
Intel Q6700 (supposed to be good for OC'ing with that board)
Samsung 2253BW (21.6 ")

At the end of the month when my Mobo and processor come in, I am going to go and get

Antec 900
Arctic 7 CPU cooler
2x2gb Mushkin 8600 ram 5-5-5-12

I am still stuck on which video card, either a 260, or 280, and I was wondering if my older Antec Neopower 480w will be enough to power all this, or if I will need a new one . Thanks for reading.

Figured this will be a decent rig for around 1100 canadian
Old January 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PSU:

I can safely say I won't trust your older PSU for the GTX260 or GTX280. Even if you got an adaptor to plug the TWO pci-e connectors that those cards require, the PSU is not rated for the kind of power that a GTX 260 or GTX 280 require.
Your PSU review, check the wattages of the rails: Antec NeoPower 480 PSU | silentpcreview.com
GTX 280 review, power consumption: GeForce GTX 280 review

I'm going to assume that your GPU will draw the power from the +12V2 rail, rated at 192W. According to the review, a GTX280 draws ~236W, which even exceeds the power of the main 12V rail of your PSU (216W). Given those figures, your PSU will overheat and shut down, or not boot at all with a GTX280. Add to this the fact that your PSU is "older" and my not supply its rated current anymore, and your desire to OC a quad core on it (add on another ~160W from overclocked FSB and CPU).

All in all, your computer won't start or won't last long. :(

CPU:

What price are you getting the Q6700 for? IIRC the performance between a Q6600 vs Q6700 isn't much (it's only one multiplier step), and a Q6700 is much more expensive than a Q6600. I'll leave the CPU recommendation for someone who owns a recent Intel rig, but I'd probably use a Q6600 or less expensive CPU and put the extra money towards a new power supply for your hungry graphics card.
Old January 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info frontier, I got the 6700 from my local comp shop, was only 20 dollars more than the 6600, so I went for it, didn't mind 20 dollars for not a huge gain. Ok well if I need a new PSU what kind of wattage would you suggest if I may run a SLi setup in the future?? This is all going to be built in the next few weeks I have decided.

Last edited by kragnorok; January 18, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old January 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rookie

So I have decided on the gtx 260 as my card, 280 is still double the price of it. Question I have is which one to get, is it worth it to get the 216 core? I can get a 896 superclocked one for around 310 if its the original core, and the 216 for 330, is it worth the 20 dollars??
Old January 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Hi and welcome!- I would recommend waiting until you have enough monry to buy all the necessary parts for a working system. Otherwise, you'll be spending money on rapidly ageing parts and won't even be able to use them until they're already outdated. The other aspect is that by the time you buy your last component, the first component will liekly be cheaper- and if you're ordering online, there's shipping costs involved. What you might want to consider is, frequenting the FS threads here, as there are quite a bit of fairly current and well-priced used parts that move through here.
QFT!!
Old January 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
Rookie

That is why I restated and said it would be all this month lol.
Old January 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kragnorok View Post
So I have decided on the gtx 260 as my card, 280 is still double the price of it. Question I have is which one to get, is it worth it to get the 216 core? I can get a 896 superclocked one for around 310 if its the original core, and the 216 for 330, is it worth the 20 dollars??
If you spend $20 for an extra multiplier step on the Q6700, then yes, by all means spend the $20 and get the Core 216. On some reviews I read it performs very close to the GTX280, albeit slightly lower.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 18, 2009, 04:26 PM
MVP
F@H

Yes, go with the 216. It's a great acrd! i have the vanilla 216, it works GREAT and oc's like a charm at ~40 idle.
Won't exceed 70 unless you go hardcore and play crysis or fc2 on max / benchmarks such as vantage..
Good luck with your comp!
(BTW.. i'd reccomend going with a haf or 1200 at the least.. it may get a bit cramped in there with the 900.)
and in regards to your psu.... something like an hx620 would work great. + its modular. added capabilities! have fun!
remember.. building comps should be fun! if its a chore.. get it done for you :P