Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Should i do this upgrade for $700...? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/13842-should-i-do-upgrade-700-a.html)

howdid January 14, 2009 02:44 PM

Should i do this upgrade for $700...?

My current build basically

Q6600 clocked at 3.6Ghz
2 HD4870x2's running in Quadfire
Corsair Dominators 106MHz 4Gb DDR2 Memory
Asus P5E Deluxe (Rampage Formula)
1k PSU
etc etc

Now i have calculated, i could upgrade to the following for $700 more if i sell the stuff i have now

Core i7 920
Asus P6T or EVGA X58
2 GTX 295's
6G 1333mhz Memory DDR3
is that worth it...?
how much performance gain am i going to have out of the upgrade??

BrianHanna January 14, 2009 03:20 PM

i dont get why you'd upgrade your system anyways, not like it will have problems running ANYTHING on it for a long time to come.

upgrade when prices drop some more, your system is already beastly enough as it is.

rjbarker January 14, 2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

i dont get why you'd upgrade your system anyways, not like it will have problems running ANYTHING on it for a long time to come.
hahahahah...don't you get it??? Its not about what you can or cannot run at that level...its about having the best gear and Benching..flat out!!

Hey Hoh....if you got the coin...go for it!!!

Eagle Eye January 14, 2009 06:19 PM

LOL @ RjBarker dude I swear who've gone mad :bleh:

Likely I am just as mad as him if you want it and and can afford go for it because I would do the same if I had the coin.

Get atleast DDR3 1600 though, I'd keep your quadfire setup also and your PSU

Performance that depends man gaming not much likely the overall system performance would be far superior as long with your memory.

The i7 is a crunching machine if you fold or use a lot of multithreaded apps than its the machine for you. Oh and there's also braggin rights and having the latest hardware.

EE

howdid January 15, 2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye (Post 138824)
LOL @ RjBarker dude I swear who've gone mad :bleh:

Likely I am just as mad as him if you want it and and can afford go for it because I would do the same if I had the coin.

Get atleast DDR3 1600 though, I'd keep your quadfire setup also and your PSU

Performance that depends man gaming not much likely the overall system performance would be far superior as long with your memory.

The i7 is a crunching machine if you fold or use a lot of multithreaded apps than its the machine for you. Oh and there's also braggin rights and having the latest hardware.

EE

hmm
so the quad fire would be better than 2 GTX 295's??

does anybody know if the oct core i7's does come out in the future, do we need to have another mobo or does the X58's satisfy?

Eagle Eye January 15, 2009 07:38 AM

I don't know if quadfire is better than 2 GTX 295s I don't really follow SLI/Crossfire much, if I had 2 x4870x2s I wouldn't be getting rid of them so quickly for the 295s, thats a pretty powerful setup to begin with. Unless you're bent on having the most recent technology I don't see any reasonable justification to trade them up. The GTX295 is likely a simliar situation to the 9800GX2 which was discontinued(EOL) a mere 6 months after it went into production it wouldn't surprise me if nVidia did the same.

As far as I know Intel will release the i5 and i3 series under the Socket 1160, it will be their midrange and low end series cpus for the Core series.

EE

matsta31 January 15, 2009 08:00 AM

If you really really want to spend, there is 6 core Xeon available right now ! There is even a quad socket mobo to go with it !

now, 48 thread at the same time, who could beat that !

What ? each xeon cost 3000 $ ?!?!?!?!? :censored:

Without joking, no need ofr changing the GPU, and resale value for 4870X2 got down a bit but they are still really good. I would keep them, but I would go for i7, that thing is fun and overclocks well. If you dont have watercooling, go for it, the i7 runs hot !

rjbarker January 15, 2009 11:01 AM

Don't get rid of the 4870x2's for 295's.....that would be a foolish move imo. Anyone holding 280's , 4870 x2's or even 260 216 Cores is better off to hang onto them until both the ATI 58xx Series and the GTX 3xxx Series are out later this year.

rjbarker January 15, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

LOL @ RjBarker dude I swear who've gone mad
Yeah call me nuts EE....I really want to see what these 280's can do with a little more poop behind them.....anyhoo...got my I7 920, Dominator 3 x 2GB 1600 Kit and my Vista 64 Bit OEM today, but of course the True 120 and Evga X58 are "Back Ordered"..damn!
Oh well.....hopefully by next week.

Chilly January 15, 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 138993)
Don't get rid of the 4870x2's for 295's.....that would be a foolish move imo. Anyone holding 280's , 4870 x2's or even 260 216 Cores is better off to hang onto them until both the ATI 58xx Series and the GTX 3xxx Series are out later this year.

This. If you feel the need to upgrade, then an i7 CPU, Mobo, and Ram should do nicely.

Keep the QuadFire 4870X2's for now, and then upgrade the GPU's when the next generation(GTX 3xx, 58xx, etc) is out.