Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2009, 04:59 PM
Trial Member

Default build

Minus the fact I feel like I'm buggin the advanced students to help tell me which way my circle of paper is up, I'll just post this anyway.

Building a gaming/media comp
price range $1500-$1600
hoping to get everything locally (Barrie/Toronto)
and have no brand preference, just good quality
I'm intimidated by overclocking at this point by doing a lot of reading
(mostly from this site, which seems to understand my fear)
want to have it built a.s.a.p. (hopefully before Jan 22nd but doesn't have to be)

so far:

CPU: Core i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6t
Mem: 6gb DDR3 (OCZ or Corsairs)
Vid Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB (may get a second one at later date)
Case/PSU:no clue, at all
Hard Drive: Nothing decided

Now, I'm still looking around on all the forums and learning a lot. Sadly, many anagrams throw me out of my depth. Main issue is at the moment is this
Core i7 Bundle - Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core + ASUS P6T X58 Motherboard + OCZ Triple-Channel 1333MHz 6GB (3x2GB) Kit for $981
OR
Core i7 Bundle - Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core + ASUS P6T Deluxe X58 Motherboard + OCZ Triple-Channel 1600MHz 6GB (3x2GB) Kit for $996

both sales end Jan. 15th.

Now this drifts into off topic territory (Deluxe p6t vs. p6t, how much tweeking will I have to do putting either together) but it all needs to be taken into account with case/power supply/vid card. I have a large feeling I missed a lot of the more intricate but improtant details. I don't even know what exact version of the vid card I should be looking for. So, I turn to you guys to hopefully point me in the right direction. Should I jump at these offers, should I wait? Should I scrap the build and go for something better? I'll continue to scroll through the forums but it's the time constraint that has made me anxious. Any help will be greatly apperciated.

Last edited by sigmas; January 12, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everything seems in order and you have a pretty good idea of what you want.

My suggestions:

Videocard: GTX280 prices right now are great and its finally better value, although if your budget doesn't permit it than go with a the cheaper GTX260.

Case: Airflow is important personally I'd probably go with the HAF932 or an Antec1200 whichever you prefer visually, some might say otherwise in terms of pricing they're pretty good value.

PSU: If you intend on doing an SLI rig later on you'll want something on the higher end so I'd suggest a TX850 or an HX1000 whichever best suits your needs and budget.

HDD: I think a good 1 Terabyte drive from either Samsung, Seagate or Western Digital all offer great performance loads of space and are reasonably priced choose one that best suits your budget. Always have a small external backup for sensitive and important data.

CPU Cooler: Any LGA1366 compatible cpu cooler from Thermalright, Noctua, OCZ, or sunbeam Tech are great choices.

Fans: Noctua, noctua and noctua did I mention noctua.

A good source for pricing: www.shopbot.ca and Canadian Prices: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison!

You might consider ordering out of BC there are some advantages, check out www.ncix.com (offers pricematching), www.directcanada.com (Great shipping rates and free shipping, great prices, however limited selection) www.bestdirect.ca (Free shipping on orders over 500, have had no problem with any orders with them, better deals than NCIX or DC sometimes)

Personally I haven't purchased an entire system here in Ontario in over 4 years once I discovered DirectCanada, NCIX and on the ocassion bestdirect pricing here never compared and I've saved a bundle.

Good luck and welcome to the forums

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 12, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If I were you I would jump at them, because depending on how many they sell this week they might not do it again next week or might once again only it will be more expensive. if you add all that stuff up, it comes to around $1100, so you're saving $100 or so.

Mind you, if you did a pricematch at NCIX you can probably get everything in that bundle for cheaper than the bundle. Do some shopping, like look up prices on sites like shopbot.com (for instance), and see how much you can/can't save. Otherwise, if you only have a few days, go for the bundle. DEFINITELY go for the bundle. I got an i7 setup, with similar parts, and spent $1300 (waiting for the damn RAM + case to get here!) and I re-used some parts.

For the PSU, if you are thinking of SLI-ing later, I would go for an 8-900W, maybe even 1000W for safety's sake, if you're willing to spend abit extra.

BTW it's a bit more economic to go with a GTX 280, because they can be had for as low as $350 after $20 MIR at NCIX now, I would snatch that up ASAP.

As for the case, get a nice big full tower case, like HAF932. Or if you want your system to be sexy, go with a Silverstone Temjin 09.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Greetings and welcome to Hardware Canucks. I have to agree with Eagle Eye about shopping out-of-province. I did a little digging and came up with the following setup. I'm sure there will be other comments and suggestions to follow by fellow Canuckers who have been building longer than I have but here goes...

CPU Intel Core I7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S - DirectCanada
Board Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 3-WAY CrossFireX Motherboard - DirectCanada
RAM Patriot Extreme VIPERPVT33G1600LLK 3GB DDR3 3X1GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada
PSU Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN AT Power Supply Active PFC 140M Fan Powersupply - DirectCanada
Case Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 Atx 9 Drive Bay No Ps Top USB2.0 1394 Audio - DirectCanada
GPU EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 576MHZ 896MB 2.0GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada

Total with GST, shipping and insurance is right around $1576. I'm sure with further searching, price matching and suggestions from fellow Canuckers, you'll find what you're looking for. I hope this sends you off in the right direction.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I can't reasonably suggest Canadacomputers quite frankly I walk out empty handed 99.99% of the time. Some might say its good to support your local shop and I do it just so happens that they're in B.C.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if you want a Mid-Tower or Full Tower but I can suggest a few.

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA - RC-690-KKN1 In Canada.

CM690 is a very decent mid-tower (Cooler Master has done an amazing job these last few years at building solid cases).

NCIX.com - Buy NZXT Tempest EATX Mid Tower Case Black 3X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB Firewire Audio - Tempest In Canada.

It wouldn't be me if I didn't put a NZXT case in my suggestions somewhere lol. NZXT is a 50/50 split between good and bad cases (being honest), I have used one myself (apollo - but I don't suggest for an i7 build), and it works great.

Those are two decent Midtowers if thats what you need. One must remember the case is the foundation of the whole system. And sometimes can make or break how thermally balanced your system is.

For Full Tower,

Go with what is stated above, the HAF 932 is the case to beat right now in terms of Function, form and Thermal Management. Mind you , with everyone here suggesting it, soon no one will have anything Different!

Power Supplies, yes the Corsair ones suggested are the top line ones out there.
Of course, I will always suggest the PS that has never done me wrong.

Ultra X3 ULT40312 850-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

This is a fully modular PS (meaning you only use what cables you need), so it might be easier to manage your build first time around. As well, ULTRA is lifetime warranty ( you only need to register it online to get that warranty). Again, this is an opinion and personal preferance, ULTRA and Corsair are Top line PSU's.

Best of Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com