Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2009, 05:50 AM
Rookie

Default Video card for new build.

Hey everyone.
Great site, very helpful.
Building a new system for myself with a small budget.
I say small because it`s my first purpose built gaming rig.
Been building machines for about a decade and have always built run of the mill basic stuff.
Chose this setup based on alot of research and my $750 budget.
Gigabyte GA EP45 UD3P
Intel E5200
2 gb OCZ DDR-2 800mhx Platinum XTC
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata hd
Pioneer DVR-216 drive
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Antec 300 Case
Acer 22" LCD
I currently have an Asus 8600GT Silent 256mb that was left oover from a HTPC build but it has to go.
I`m stuck between a Saphire Radeon HD4850 512mb (my frist choice)
And an Asus EA 4670HD 512mb
Read alot of the reviews and am almost settled on the 4850, but the budget likes the 4670 better.
As I said this is primarily a gaming rig, with the usual web, movies, day to day stuff. I also can`t resist OCing this to see what it`ll do
Should I wait another paycheck and get the 4850, or get the 4670 and maybe a new cheap keyboard and mouse??
Also, if you have any suggestions or comments about the build, let me know.
Thanks
E
Old January 12, 2009, 06:13 AM
Rookie

As you say it's a purpose built gaming rig. I would definitely go with the 4850 in that case, it'll be better suited to the 1680x1050 res of that monitor and won't run out of steam as quickly on new releases. I know it's nearly twice the price but you'll probably have to trade up to a newer card sooner with the 4670 anyway.
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator Twin2X PC2-8500.
Graphics: Xpertvision Radeon HD4870 1GB.
Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB.
PSU: PCP&C Silencer Quad 750w.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to save some money, change the P45 motherboard to a P35 motherboard or if you want to stick with P45, ASUS P5Q Pro. You'll save quite a bit of money that can be used to purchasing a better CPU or GPU.

Since you're gonna be overclocking, get the E7200 and the ATI 4850 or NVIDIA 9800GT. Just to let you know, the 9800GT slots in between the 4850 and 4670.

Also, over the weekend, GTX280 was only $200 in the USA, so I think it's only a matter of time before the prices drop to around $300 up here in Canada.

Finally, don't forget to price match and have fun building.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the GTX280 is looking more and more attractive with price drops if I could afford it I'd be picking up a second one even if I can't SLI at the moment.

I'd wait a couple of more paycheques get a better cpu and video all together. Personally building a budget gaming rig always has it down sides and from experience you'll end up spending more down the road upgrading. At a minimum a fast powerful videocard will offset the performance hit taken by the rest of the system and like you said you can always overclock it.

EE
Old January 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.
I really just needed to hear it from other builders, as I was pretty much decided in my mind that the 4850 would be the one.
Also I'm surprised there's not more support than that for the E5200. It's ability to run an easy OC to at least 3.5 for aprox $100 was what drew me to it. Also from what I read, OC'd dual core's make better game machines than quads.
The E7200 was my second choice, but the budget balanced better with the E5200 and the possible 4850.
As for the Gig board, it seemed the best long term(aprox 3yr) solution. And they always served me well.
I can always throw another 4850 on in a year or so when they come down in price anyway right?!
Should be fun to torture it a bit.
Thanks for all the input.
I'll post some pics after I put it together.
E
Old January 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah never did cross my mind that crossfire was an option don't think much about dual videocards these days anymore just 1 for me, enjoy the new computer!!
Old January 12, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzofirenza View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.
I really just needed to hear it from other builders, as I was pretty much decided in my mind that the 4850 would be the one.
Also I'm surprised there's not more support than that for the E5200. It's ability to run an easy OC to at least 3.5 for aprox $100 was what drew me to it. Also from what I read, OC'd dual core's make better game machines than quads.
The E7200 was my second choice, but the budget balanced better with the E5200 and the possible 4850.
As for the Gig board, it seemed the best long term(aprox 3yr) solution. And they always served me well.
I can always throw another 4850 on in a year or so when they come down in price anyway right?!
Should be fun to torture it a bit.
Thanks for all the input.
I'll post some pics after I put it together.
E
Although a good GPU(definitely the 4850) is paramount for a good gaming machine, a better CPU will be beneficial. Gaming is one of the most notable uses that benefit from a bigger L2 cache(on C2D). Quad has minimal impact in the majority of games(at this point), but cache is king. You can O/C, but you can't add cache once you've bought the CPU. An E72/7300 would be better, and an E8400 would be ideal. My $.02...GL
Old January 13, 2009, 05:27 AM
Rookie

You guys are right, I just wish I had the cash.
I look at it this way, In a year I buy another 4850, maybe like $60 by then. Then maybe a year after that, upgrade the CPU, go with a good quad,with the bump in cache.
Maybe up the ram at the same time. I'll still be happy with the performance, and I'll probably have less than $1000 total in it.
Then it'll be time to go to maybe an i7.
Computers should last you at least 3-4 years in my book. Even if you send them off to the kids or parents after their not fast enough for you anymore.
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice and opinions.
I finally have a place to come and talk tech and not feel like an geek!
E
Old January 13, 2009, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzofirenza View Post
You guys are right, I just wish I had the cash.
I look at it this way, In a year I buy another 4850, maybe like $60 by then. Then maybe a year after that, upgrade the CPU, go with a good quad,with the bump in cache.
Maybe up the ram at the same time. I'll still be happy with the performance, and I'll probably have less than $1000 total in it.
Then it'll be time to go to maybe an i7.

Computers should last you at least 3-4 years in my book. Even if you send them off to the kids or parents after their not fast enough for you anymore.
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice and opinions.
I finally have a place to come and talk tech and not feel like an geek!
E
This is true. I rarely ever build a completely new PC. I update what i can, when i can. With C2D, i started with a (budget) ASRock 775 DualVSTA mobo and E6600. I used the 2x512 PC3200/GS6800AGP, disks, case, PSU, etc,etc..from my P4. Next, i updated to 2x1GB Corsair PC6400C4. A month later, 2x1GB PC8500 Ballistix. ~ a month later came my GA P35-DS3L/HD3850. Another month brought my E8400/CM690 case. This summer, the 3850 died and i bought an HD4850...while i was at it.. i upgraded from my 4 y.o. Antec TP 480 (which was doing surprisingly well ) to my VX550. All the while, i get HDD's, HS/Fs, etc. every X-mas/B-Day/Fathers Day. Then F@H was disappointing w/my HD4850, so i grabbed a 9800GTX+. Now the power bill's too expensive for Folding , and i'm sitting with both GPU's...but all the extra's make a decent 2nd machine. If C2Q's get nice & cheap, i can throw a Q9550 in my DS3L. Always in a state of updating, but never on the leading-edge(which is fine by me). Sorry for the lengthy post.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My Only advice is to Echo the words of warning from other people here.
Choose another Manufacturer for the ATI Card you Choose.
Sapphire is not a good idea, some people here could share horror stories.

Go HIS, Visontek etc.....just not Sapphire lol!

Best of Luck
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com