Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2009, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Arrow possible future setup...want some eyes to check it out

hey guys whats up? new member...found this forum yesterday and decided to join up to get some advice on a new computer im hoping to build. currently looking at newegg for a build with intel's new i7 920 nehalem processor (so i need a brand spanking new everything for this)

setup:

component: type
link
my comments :D

Processor: the intel i7 920 nehalem
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
am upgrading from an amd 5400+/8800gts setup so i am really looking forward to this combination. have been reading about nehalem for a while now and cant wait to have a setup with it

Motherboard: Asus p6t deluxe
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
am not sure whether i should get this or the p6t original. difference is in deluxe having 2 SAS ports and 4 SATA and original have 6 SATA no SAS. i have no idea what SAS but i know that my cd drive is SATA. if that the is the only difference...shouold i just downgrade to the p6t original and save like $50 something dollars?

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 4870 1gb
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
trying to find near top of the line from either ati or nvidia. read about this card on tom's hardware and how it competes with the g280 with major price difference.

Ram: DDR3 1600 Corsair 3x2GB
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
i am aware when i install these ram sticks that i must manually go into the mobo bios and change the settings from 1066 to 1600. uhm these were the best ram sticks deal i could find.:help:

Power Supply: Antec true power trio 650W psu
Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Power Supplies
this is the same power supply i bought for my amd setup. this is the one thing i am most afraid of. i REALLLY liked it for my Amd setup to power that and my 8800gts...but i am just weary that it may not be enough watts for this setup that i am looking at. i don't plan on doing any SLI as from reviews i have read it sohuld run games like crysis and whatnot at full settings with no problems... if anyone does look at this setup it would be awesome if you could jsut get back to me compatiblity with this and mobo/vid card id be so relieved to find that out and that it is enough power for my setup.:help:

Monitor: Asus 21.5" 1080p 2ms lcd monitor
Newegg.com - ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
uhm just found this monitor and thought it was a really good deal for the specs listed...nothing more

Harddrive: 500GB Samsung sata harddrive 7200rpm
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
i didn't want to spend any more than $100 and was trying to find a 10k raptor...but to my avale i found out raptors are still $150+ for only like i forget now but not enough GB.
this is the same hdd i bought for my amd setup and im happy with it. SOOO happy im running vista and NOT (what i think is shittty) xp as formatting the hd to install the OS for xp takes near (i forget now as i havent had xp for over a year) 4-6 hours...and like a minute on vista.

Case: Apevia atx full tower
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type X-JUPITERG-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
i got a mid tower for my last setup. nothing wrong with it...just wasnt very happy with how cramped everything was. i hope to get a full tower where it won't be as cramped and cooling will be easier and may actually matter with this powerful setup. uhm thoughts on aluminum? i have been told that it absorbs some of the heat from the system but i would think it is flimsy....

DVD: LG Blueray player + dvd/cd burner
Newegg.com - LG Black 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L - Blu-Ray Drives
why not eh?

i have looked over everything on my own several times but just want to be sure with some new eyes looking over it for compatiblity. if anyone knows of a better deal on newegg or some other online store (i live in america) for a product listed or a better product than what i found....sharing it with me would be GREATLY appreciated. i find my tech understanding somewhat high, and this will be my second custom computer being built. any help/comments/ advice would be appreciated.

i nearly forgot...i am a gamer. primarily counter-strike:source (leagues)...but would like to play new dx10 games at full settings with no lag.

also i am planning on getting a 1 year warranty on the following items:
monitor
gfx card
mobo
cpu

comes out to near $132...is it even worth getting? everything comes with a 30 day return policy and whatnot and well i am thinking if someting goes wrong down the line ill need it and im also thinking...if something is wrong with it, the problem will show up within that time unless i do something to mess it up later on... ( i take very good care of my things so i don't worry about that)

btw im a new member so if posting here was wrong then i apologize in advance and hope there is no need for a . anywayz thanks in advance
Old January 8, 2009, 08:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

SAS is short for Serial Attached SCSI, which is different from SATA see Serial Attached SCSI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I would change your PSU to a Corsair or something a little more reliable, Antec is ok in my books, I love their cases, don't care too much for the PSU side tho. Other then the case which i'm not a fan of everything looks decent. Do you need a new monitor? The monitor's native resloution is usually the deciding factor in what quality video card you need to get to run everything maxed. Apart from my comments above overall i'm liking most of your choices. I take it you're not reusing anything from the old system?

Old January 8, 2009, 09:15 PM
Rookie

For the PSU consider a PC Power and Cooling or Corsair and the rest sounds good!
Old January 10, 2009, 09:40 AM
Rookie

how do i know how many watt psu i should get? is there something i have to do like adding up voltages for each component somewhere or something?
Old January 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
how do i know how many watt psu i should get? is there something i have to do like adding up voltages for each component somewhere or something?
The key governing factor to determine what size of PSU to get is what GPU your getting and if you plan on going multiple GPU's, as in CrossFire. You generally want to leave yourself some cdecent headroom for future upgrades as well. Your PSU is considered to be the "heart" of your Rig...don't cheap out on this and no need to overkill either.
As suggested above, the Corsair and PC P&C are both very good reputable PSU....for your build above I would consider a 750W as this would allow you to upgrade in the future, as in a Crossfire arrangement without the headache of having to purchase yet another PSU (I've been thier...still have my PC P&C 750W sitting the closet) and have adequate headroom to ensure that you don't have any PSU "issues"!

Tags
i7 920 nehalem setup