Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Purchasing Parts For Upgrade

Hey guys, this is the list of parts I'm presently looking at to upgrade my Rig
Intel Core I7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S - DirectCanada I thought this looks like a pretty reasonable price for the 920
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM - DirectCanada This seems to be the one HSF that some folks here have luck with...now, I'm not familiar with "bolt through kits", does this come with or without it?....recomendations on the right bolt thru kit..link would be noce..thanks
Undecided still as to Board either:
Asus P6T X58 Deluxe Atx LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E4 Crossfire Sli SATA2 Sas Motherboard - DirectCanada or this one..leaning towards the Evga Board as I prefer the layout of the PCI-E Slts for my GTX 280 SLI arrangement but any feed back would be appreciated
EVGA X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCIE-16 PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA2 eSATA Dual GBLAN Motherboard - DirectCanada
As for Memory its either of these two,,,but not sure how long the wait is for the Mushkin..any thoughts again would be great..
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - TR3X6G1600C8D In Canada. prefer this one
NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin XP XP3-12800 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 7-8-7-20 Triple Channel Memory Kit - 998679 In Canada.

Now, I'll be transferring my Corsair 1kw HX, Barracuda 320 GB, Raptor 74 GB, 2 x DVD RW's and 2 x GTX 280 SSC's with this new Hardware into my Silverstone TJ09 Case. Obviousy this is going to be a pricey "uppgrade"..around $1200 and am thinking of purchasing the I7 920 and HSF now, perhaps the MOBO aand RAM in another couple of months...thinking that DC price of $350 seems good?
Likely pick up the Mobo n Ram later on ( a few months)...thats it...lookng for thoughts...suggestions..feedback etc etc...

Oh yeah... a little of this n that but mostly Web Surfing n Gaming!

Old January 3, 2009, 01:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can order your stuff before January 6th, I'd suggest you get the bundle @ NCIX for the EVGA board and i7 920. NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal EVGA 3-WAY SLI X58 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 CPU *WITH-FREE-GAME* - eVGA-X58-i920-GAMES In Canada.

It's on special for around $650. But the only thing that worries me about the board is the north bridge fan. I've had bad experience with EVGA NB fans.

Also, I believe that the HSF comes with a bolt-thru kit, just like the 775 HSFs from Thermalright.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Looks pretty good. I've heard really good things about the Asus p6t and the EVGA board but you Gigabyte selection. They are a little cheaper. I think the UD5 or the extreme supports SLI (the DS4 doesnt). I've seen a lot of succesful overclocks with the GA-EX58 and the 920.

I'd go with het dominator RAM as well just because I like Corsair and have always had a good experience with their products.

The TRUE 120 is an awesome heatsink and seems to be the standard for any Core i7 build. The bolt-thru kit comes with it and is very easy to use (easier than pushpins imo). It's pretty self explanatory and i'm sure you'll figure it out once you open the package and look at it. The fan it comes with is good, it may not be the best but it's designed specifically to fit onto the heatsink.
Old January 3, 2009, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If your not in a rush for the sale, I picked up the eVGA X58 and i7 920 through NCIX (The same one suggested by INFINITI)
Ill be building and testing it on Tuesday Hopefully, I couldn't afford the 3x2Gb of RAM, so i'm just on the 3x1Gb MUSHKIN HP's.
Once my Heatsink shows up ill be trying to hit 4GHz!
Build Log to come....

Intel i7 Quad Core 920 @3.8GHz | eVGA X58 x3 SLI | HAF 932 | Corsair 1000w | WD SSD 256gb | WD 3200 1TB | Seagate 2TB | 6x2GB DDR3 Mushkin XP3| MSI GTX 680+EK WB| 24" BENQ E2400HD | 19" Samsung 953BW

Swiftech 655 | Swiftech MCR220 | Apogee GTZ+1366 | EK Spinbay Res | EK Waterblock | Primochill 5/8" | Bitspower Compression Fittings
Old January 3, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thnkas guys for the tips, we'll see if I hit the "purcgase" button or hold off a little longer Xmas bills suck!
Quote:
I'd go with het dominator RAM as well just because I like Corsair and have always had a good experience with their products.
I enjoy my Corsair PSU, but also enjoy and have found the Mushkin RAM to be very good, hence leaning towards the Mushkin Kit, as for 3 x 1Gb vs 3 x 2GB, I mean if you're already shelling out some good coin for thee Mobo, CPU n HSF, may as well dig deep and get the extra RAM (extra $100 or so).

Old January 4, 2009, 09:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Thnkas guys for the tips, we'll see if I hit the "purcgase" button or hold off a little longer Xmas bills suck!

I enjoy my Corsair PSU, but also enjoy and have found the Mushkin RAM to be very good, hence leaning towards the Mushkin Kit, as for 3 x 1Gb vs 3 x 2GB, I mean if you're already shelling out some good coin for thee Mobo, CPU n HSF, may as well dig deep and get the extra RAM (extra $100 or so).
Definitely worth getting 6GB of RAM. I use Vista Ultimate x64 and just turning it on uses ~25% of the RAM (almost 2GB). If I play WoW (pretty memory intensive) while having a browser and vent open I'm using nearly 50%. I've seen a lot of rigs with 6x2GB of RAM. I doubt that would be useful anytime soon, but I think we're at the point where you really need at least 4GB.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
, but I think we're at the point where you really need at least 4GB.
Thats the minimum for Vista 64 Bit imo....

Old January 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
MVP

I would buy it all at once, when you buy a few parts and wait a month, then buy a few more you usually end up spending more than if you were to just wait. Prices usually only go down and since we already saw the price jump back a month or two ago, I can't see another hike happening.

That EVGA board with the 920 is a nice deal, but as more boards come out and the prices fall, I would either buy it all now or wait until you have enough.

As for the ram, I'd go with the Mushkin's only because I've had less than great experiences with Dominator ram.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I would buy it all at once, when you buy a few parts and wait a month, then buy a few more you usually end up spending more than if you were to just wait. Prices usually only go down and since we already saw the price jump back a month or two ago, I can't see another hike happening.
Hey I'd love to spend the $1100 all at once and get it.....but they isn't going to happen..simple! I work a month away and then I'm home for amonth...so in my life...a few months goes by very quickly and is a matter of a few trips away to work and back.
I agree, the Mushkin Kit I think is worth waiting for.

Old January 9, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey guys...think I'm going to go ahead with my I7 Upgrade....now because I'll be running the Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB Tri Channel Memory kit, I guess its time to move to Vista 64 Bit OS....just wondering a couple of things:
1. Is this all I need as far the OS goes..
NCIX.com - Buy Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - 66I-00788 In Canada. here is what I'm getting
NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT Heatpipe Cooler LGA1366 120MM Fan FDB 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM - ULTRA-120-1366RT In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal EVGA 3-WAY SLI X58 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 CPU - eVGA-X58-i920-GAMES In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - TR3X6G1600C8D In Canada.
This will all be moved into my TJ09 Case, along with my Raptor 74 GB and Barracuda 320 GB HD's, Corsair HX 1kW and 2 x GTX 280's
All in all with a little price matching total comes in at around $1154 + Taxes

EDIT: Also, I've never gotten it before, but what are your folks thought on the additional $35 Express RMA Insurance? Is it worth it? I would assume that even without it if a Part is delivered damaged or not functioning and needs to be sent back it would still be covered regardless of this extra Insurance?

Last edited by rjbarker; January 9, 2009 at 01:30 PM.