Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 25, 2008, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Default Build for my shiny new i7 920

I saw a thread a bit ago with a plan for a pretty similar build, but there are differences, so I figured I'd start my own thread to see what you guys think.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
I'll be using Flash/Dreamweaver/Illustrator a lot. I also need something that can handle fairly complex architectural models in 3DS Max. No animation, just still renders using mentalray. As far as gaming goes, I plan on picking up Fallout 3. Not much else at the moment, but that's sure to change once I start getting back into the PC gaming thing.

2. What YOUR budget is.
I told myself I wouldn't go over $1250 before tax, but I convinced myself that I could splurge on some Dominator RAM which bumped me up to about $1424 combined with everything else. I can probably bring that down a bit if I shop around and do the price comparison thing, but I'll worry about that later. For now I'm focusing on a general price estimate with the parts I want.

3. What country.
Canada - Toronto, specifically. All my pricings are from Tiger Direct.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
Obviously I'm going for the Intel CPU and chipset, I tend to prefer NVIDIA over ATI, and I've heard good things about Corsair RAM and PSUs

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts Unfortunately, my current rig is an old P4. Not much is salvagable, but I plan on sticking with my old moniter for the time being, and I figure since the ASUS P6T still has IDE support, I can make my DVD/CD drives last a little longer.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I saw one similar thread with plans for the same i7 920, Asus P6T, Geforce 260 etc, but there's some differences, and I don't plan on getting a new monitor, DVD drives, speakers/soundcard where as his was a full build

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default
Probably. I suppose I'm still a little intimidated by the lack of FSB, but I'm bound to end up fiddling with the BIOS settings sooner or later.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
ASAP - probably early-to-mid January

Okay so here's the plan, tell me what you guys think, any suggestions you might have or changes you'd make.

All pricings are from TigerDirect, after rebates

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz (already bought, not included in budget)
Mobo: Asus P6T X58 Deluxe $399.99
Case: NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower $129.99
GPU: XFX GeForce 260 "Black Edition" $299.99
PSU: Corsair TX750W 750-watt $135.99
RAM: Corsair 6GB 1600mhz Dominator $345.99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB, 32mb cache $120

Plus a $40 buffer for any anti-static bracelets/thermal paste etc I might decide to pick up, although the stock 920 CPU fan already has some kind of paste applied to it

Total: $1425

Any suggestions? Also, should I be looking to buy an extra CPU fan/heatsink, or will the stock 920 CPU fan be okay? I'm not crazy about the idea of sticking a heatsink meant for socket 775 onto a 1366 with an adaptor bracket, but if you guys still think it's better than the stock 920 heatsink and fan, then I might consider it.
Old December 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
Top Prospect

I'd sorta shop around for some of the parts...

IE:
Mobo - P6T X58 Deluxe - 354.99 @ PCCanada.com (Local Toronto)
Case: Tempest (Pricematch at NCIX?)
GFX: BFG GTX 260 Maxcore - 249.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply: Corsair 750TX - 124.99 @ NCIX
RAM: Corsair 6GB 1600mhz Dominator - 344.99 @ NCIX (theres some nice Mushkin kits out there I believe)

From experience just pricematch stuff at NCIX...

AFAIK its always best to replace the stock paste with some aftermarket stuff, otherwise the stock HSF should be ok for abit, may want to look at some aftermarket stuff tho, maybe a TRUE?
Old December 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
MVP

Pretty much any aftermarket heatsink will outperform the stock HSF, especially when it comes to overclocking. If you don't plan on OC'ing the system the stock will do you fine. If you do want to OC however, a new HSF pretty much required with how hot these chips run once clocked higher. I know the TRUE 120 with the 1366 adapter or the CM V8 heatsinks are very good performers and include the mounting hardware for 1366.

I would definetly shop around and don't just go with Tigerdirect. In my experience they tend to be a little pricey compared to NCIX or DC. I use shopbot.ca and pricematch everything through NCIX and I've been very happy with some of the deals I've been able to get.

If you do plan on going with an aftermarket HSF, definetly invest in some good thermal paste. I've always used AS5 becuase theres always a few tubes at work but I've heard the MX-5 is good stuff as well. Don't waste your money on an anti-static bracelet, they make working within the system a pain and are just generally annoying. As long as you ground yourself (touch the case) you won't endanger any of your components.

I can speak for Corsair's power supplys, as I've owned 3 and they have all been stellar. Very quiet and very dependable. The ram however has been iffy, a few friends have hed to swap out to G-Skill, OCZ or Patriot, due to the ram being finicky and causing some stability issues. This occured with 2 different kits and the P6T board, so it may have been bad luck but from what I hear you really can't go wrong with Mushkin.
Old December 29, 2008, 05:27 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input, guys.

I ended up doing the NCIX pricematch thing, but as it turns out, most of the NCIX prices (with savings code) were the lowest or within $4-5 of the lowest price I found anyways, so I didn't have to pricematch many items.

I decided to go with the Corsair Dominator RAM despite the plight of Iamcanadian7's friends. I've heard nothing but good things about this RAM otherwise, so hopefully there won't be any issues.

I also ordered a TRUE, and some MX-2 thermal paste. I was actually hoping to find something a bit different for a HSF (maybe it's just me, but it seems like almost everyone has the TRUE), but the only 1366-compatible heatsinks I could find were the TRUE, the CM V8 and the Noctua NH-U12P. I had trouble finding CM V8s that were listed as being 1366 compatible which had me worried that I might end up with one that didn't include the 1366 adapter bracket. I suppose I could have ordered the bracket seperately, but that's really just more hassle than it's worth. The ugly beige/brown colour of the fan that came with the Noctua heatsink was enough to turn me off of it (despite what I've heard about Noctua fans being really good). Again, I could've just bought another fan to stick on there, but that's just extra hassle. Apparently Asus has released a glitzy LED-clad Triton for LGA1366, but I don't know much about how it performs, and even if I did, I couldn't find the thing anywhere. Either way, I suppose it's the performance that matters most, and I know the TRUE is going to deliver.

Anyway, I look forward to putting this build together. I can't wait until everything arrives.

Tags
920 , corei7 , x58