Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Building a Computer for $650 after taxes mini guide (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/12963-building-computer-650-after-taxes-mini-guide.html)

crunchbite December 16, 2008 10:03 PM

Building a Computer for $650 after taxes mini guide
 
Just a quick little article i put together. Tell me what you think or would change.

TBAG LAN Gamer On A Budget Mini Guide

CTA December 16, 2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Conclusion
While you can get cheaper parts to build a budget PC Gamer with these parts are extremely unreliable and will only make you waste more money in the long run with more upgrades and the chance of broken parts.

I did not include things like the operating system, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers because you will most likely have these parts before hand. If not the total comes out to a decent $1100.00 after taxes.

very good conclusion... anyhow... you can still get budget for gamer... as recent, i can build good budget gamer computer with 9800gtx+ with about 550CDN without tax (peripheral too)

depend on the sale and blah balh..

rjbarker December 16, 2008 10:34 PM

Nicely done.....however I venture to say that the total cost is more like almost $1100...the "peripherals" as you call them are "essential"...OS, Keyboard, Mouse, monitor etc. As for the 19" Widescreen, I'd get rid of that for a far more "Resolution Compliant" monitor such as a 22" Widescreen or stick to a 19" Non-Widescreen 1280 x 1024.
As for playing Crysis on Medium and COD4 on High, with that Hardware, even with that 19" Widescreen monitor, won't happen.
The problem I see with trying to build a very low end and cheap gaming PC, is that it is pretty tough to beat the "package" deals from the Box Stores.

crunchbite December 16, 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 127773)
Nicely done.....however I venture to say that the total cost is more like almost $1100...the "peripherals" as you call them are "essential"...OS, Keyboard, Mouse, monitor etc. As for the 19" Widescreen, I'd get rid of that for a far more "Resolution Compliant" monitor such as a 22" Widescreen or stick to a 19" Non-Widescreen 1280 x 1024.
As for playing Crysis on Medium and COD4 on High, with that Hardware, even with that 19" Widescreen monitor, won't happen.
The problem I see with trying to build a very low end and cheap gaming PC, is that it is pretty tough to beat the "package" deals from the Box Stores.

The problem i run into when people recommend the big box store packages is as follows :

a) Motherboard is usually garbage and ends up dying after a year or two
b) The power supply in those computers are usually barely enough to run the system as it is
c) Cases are usually non-upgradable such as Dell and some HP

I would much rather build a machine and know the parts will be upgradable easily and the parts are not no-name and cheaply built.

I would venture to say that it could easily run CoD4 on High settings, Crysis is heavy on the CPU but it should be able to run crysis at 1440x900 medium graphics at a playable framerate.

Before i upgraded my main rig i had a 4600+ and a 8600gt and it ran Crysis medium graphics before the performance patch.

rjbarker December 16, 2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Tell me what you think or would change.
As indicated above..

crunchbite December 16, 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 127781)
As indicated above..

I know, I'm not offended or anything but just to get one of those $500 big box deals up and running you have to drop in a new power supply and video card. And you get no name parts like ram and motherboard. It just doesn't make much sense to me is all.

joeperson December 16, 2008 11:16 PM

One of those ecs motherboards at direct canada: AMD AM2+ ECS 780G + AMD SB700 HDMI/CRT/HD AUDIO/ GBLAN/ ATX - DirectCanada
Kinda expensive at $10,799,999.99 and definitely not a budget priced board.

crunchbite December 16, 2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeperson (Post 127790)
One of those ecs motherboards at direct canada: AMD AM2+ ECS 780G + AMD SB700 HDMI/CRT/HD AUDIO/ GBLAN/ ATX - DirectCanada
Kinda expensive at $10,799,999.99 and definitely not a budget priced board.

Haha, I wonder what happened there?

newegg.ca has a more realistic price.

Newegg.ca - ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Evylldemon December 17, 2008 07:39 AM

$60 for a 160GB HDD seems kinda high.... I just recently bought a Seagate 500GB for that price.

also for $200 you can usually find a decent brand name 22" monitor

rjbarker December 17, 2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

$60 for a 160GB HDD seems kinda high.... I just recently bought a Seagate 500GB for that price.

also for $200 you can usually find a decent brand name 22" monitor
Thats what I thought as well....good effort I suppose but for $1100 I could do much better. Also, it is deceiving to state $650 CDN, then after the other "essentials" are added on you're up to $1100..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM.