Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2008, 12:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
quick question would you pick ATI or Nvidia, I am not sure which one to go for....i have Nvida XFX9800GTX Black Edition and i love it
I like nVidia better myself so I would stick with them if you are happy with your current nVidia purchase. I find that the drivers are better than ATIs as well, and I use folding@home which is more suited to nVidia cards right now.

But again, this is preference and personal opinion...I hear there are people out there who feel that ATI is better....
Fold for team #54196
Old December 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That Corsair HX 1kW (TigerDirect) is all that is required for the GTX 280SSC SLI (see my Sig), anymore than that truly is a waste of $$$, about the only thing that justifies a larger PSU would be Tri Sli.
I would stick with the I7 and the X58 Board .
Corsair or Mushkin Tri Channel 1600 Mhz looks good.

As mentioned already...those TD prices are extremely inflated....hope your "discount" is sizeable enough to counter the price difference between them n NCIX / DC.

Old December 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
Rookie

thank you guys i am going to pass this on....i greatly appreciate your help, you guys are amazing

thank you for the quick reply
Old December 16, 2008, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE THERMALTAKE WATERCOOLING! Especially the one that comes with that case. It'll be worse than air temperatures.

Personally I think you should stick to air for now. Watercooling the CPU + 2 video card is quite the setup and gets rather costly. Also I wouldn't really recommend you taking on such a project if you're just starting out.

I think something like this would be fine:
Intel Core i7 940
Asus P6T-Deluxe Motherboard
Patriot Viper Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - Superclocked Edition
Corsair CMPSU-1000HX
Cooler Master HAF 932

Along with the hard drives and whatever else you listed.