Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Default New PC Help

So im in the market for a new PC.I will be using it for basically just gaming browsing the web and downloading. I will probably be purchasing from NCIX.com because it is close to my house and can pick it up and save shipping. I have heard they have cheap deals aswell. I know very little about hardware so I will be buying it assembled. I was looking at the pre built ones here NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. the Entra Crossfire P4700 , Vesta nVidia Edition and Vesta Crossfire Z3600 are the ones im looking at because once I remove the keyboard os mouse etc and get it down to just the system it's about $1000 before tax which is my price range. Just needing some help on which bundle to pick. You can click on the bundle which brings up a modifier to swap parts. Just looking for a reccomendation on a system and possible swapping of parts in a system for better performance. Only things i really need in the system is a video card with tv out and a dvd burner. My knowledge on this is limited so any help on this is greatly appreciated. Any questions comments just let me know thanks alot in advance. ps what is the difference between dual and quad core processors.
Old December 15, 2008, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Please I could really use some help on how to modify the setups linked above for the best value.
Old December 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hi! and welcome- Rea dthis suggested build that I just posted using this week's specials- a great gaming rig for about $800

Lookin' for a place to start...

A very good value- if you don't feel comfortable building yourdelf, NCIX will assemble, test, burn-in for $50- but we'd be happy to offer advice for a U-build
Old December 15, 2008, 09:40 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help Babrbarossa. If i were to make the system you just linked but wanted to spend a bit more, Rjbarker mentioned add the e8400 would that still suite that system? I wont need vista will be uding my old XP. Any other upgrades to get me to the 1000 before tax mark. Wont need keyboard muse or monitor. And can that video card hook up to my tv to play my monitor picture on my tv. I believe it is tv out with svideo cable? Thanks alot in advance hoping to order this within the next few days. ps is the heatsink neccasary it just cools the processor correct. let me know of any good add ons thanks
Old December 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Next time, answer the sticky properly please...It's a pain reading through all that when you're tired. I'll assume that you'll be overclocking. I'll also assume that you game at 1680X1050.

Intel E8400 / E7200 / Q6600
ASUS P5Q Pro or Gigabyte EP-45 Series Motherboard
OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin 4GB DDR800 4-4-4-12 <-- can easily clock to DDR900, and some even DDR1000
ATI 4870 or NVIDIA GTX 260
Corsair 520HX or 620HX
OCZ Vendetta 2

Case and DVD drive I'll let you choose yourself. You don't need a dedicated graphic card, depending on what motherboard you get and what speakers you use. Integrated sound has come a long way.

Hope this helps. Also, be sure to check out the other threads. And remember to use the Price Match function!
Old December 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Sorry didn't see ill answer the sticky now and see if theres any suggestions.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing. gaming surfing downloading

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread 1000 before tax approx

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. canada NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture. no not really i currently ahve an amd and ati and havent had problems

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
monitor keyboard mouse OS

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
default speeds kno nothing about overclocking

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
want to order hopefully by mid week

i tend to game at 1024x768 and 800x600

Last edited by keenan88; December 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old December 16, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, looks good. But it might just be me, but I don't like the 900. Something like the 300 or CM690/590 is what I like.
Old December 16, 2008, 07:09 AM
Rookie

I heard maybe i should go with a wwesern digital hardrive instead? Less failure rate. Any suggestions. Also I heard that i should maybe switch the ram to something like the Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

I wont be overclocking if anyone has ram suggestions?
Old December 16, 2008, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

Just wondering... why do you need to spend 1k on this rig, when you can get a competent rig for about $200 less?

It will do everything you are asking :)