Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2008, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default A few questions about my new build

Hey everyone, new member here and I've got a few questions about a computer that I want to build. The specs are as follows:

Coolermaster HAF 932 (Previously Antec 900)
Asus P5Q-E
E8400(Or maybe Q6600, but I think dual core would be better since I do mostly gaming and some video work once and a while, transcoding should still be pretty fast on a E8400)
HD 4850 (Asus EAH4850 Top)
OCZ Vendetta 2(If I can find one in stock somewhere )
Corsair TX650W PSU(Will this be big enough or should I get a 750W?)
4gb of Mushkin Redline RAM

1. Will this build fare well with overclocking? I'd like to get the E8400 up to 4.0GHz or at least around 3.6GHz.
2. Has the sensor problem with the E8400s been fixed yet? Is it a really bad of a problem if I get one with bad sensors since the socket sensors still work?
3. Is this NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright LGA775 BOLT-THRU Kit for Ultra 90/120 & HR-01 Retail Box - BTK-LGA775R In Canada.the right bolt through kit for the cooler?
4. Vista 32 or 64? I want to make full use of the RAM, but are there many programs/drivers that still are incompatible with 64 bit?
5. I'm not sure if there are many linux users on here, but if anyone could comment on the compatibility of the HD 4850 that would be great. This isn't really much of an issue though.

Last edited by Matt; December 11, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The E8400 (at least on Intel Boards) has been fixed Via Bios Update 1.07.
Mine used to read at -11 degrees , now its fairly accurate. If thats what you are talking about.
You could always go up a level to the E8600 (never heard anything about that in the bad context).

Antec 900 is a solid case, and with your choice of coolers you could probably get that solid high OC on Air. I know Thermalright (gotta find a link) makes a really good one that you can setup to be Push/Pull for really good airflow.
4850 are used by A good amount of people here and I haven't seen anyone say anything really bad about the, so good solid choice as well.

Looks like you Picked a good build. The 650 Should do just fine, mind you, it never hurts to 'future proof' the system and use a 750 instead.
I've never used Mushkin, but again I've seen a lot on here using it so that means its probably pretty damn good.
I personally use Corsair Memory, but to each their own.

Good Luck!
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 11, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Don't bother with the 900 is a junk case.

Either spend a few more and get the 1200 or look into the HAF or the 690.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Thanks for the recommendations, I might get the HAF now that I've seen it. Looks a lot better IMO and doesn't cost that much more.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Hmmm I had heard a lot of good things about it, was I misled?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 11, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Hmmm I had heard a lot of good things about it, was I misled?

ST
Yes.

It has poor cable management and airflow and you generally need to put your PSU upside down.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm okay, I retract my previous statement lol!

HAF 932 then. THat thing is just Packed full of room.

Thats the Future case for me!

ST

Old December 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I've heard some not so great things about the cable management too. The real reason I wend mid-tower was because of size concerns but the HAF is only 1" wider, 2" longer and taller so it's not really that much bigger and looks like it has a lot more space that I could use if I ever want to upgrade or use water cooling. Does anyone have any comments on whether dual or quad core is better for my uses(mostly gaming, some photoshop, some video work.), 32 bit vs 64 bit OS, or the bolt thought kit?
Old December 11, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've heard some not so great things about the cable management too. The real reason I wend mid-tower was because of size concerns but the HAF is only 1" wider, 2" longer and taller so it's not really that much bigger and looks like it has a lot more space that I could use if I ever want to upgrade or use water cooling. Does anyone have any comments on whether dual or quad core is better for my uses(mostly gaming, some photoshop, some video work.), 32 bit vs 64 bit OS, or the bolt thought kit?
dual and 32bit is fine.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Bolt thru wise, your kit works BUT,

you will need to use the stock vendetta attaching system. So you'll have to take out the push pin with a screwdriver or cutter (more aggressive solution) and replace it with the bolts. I personally never done it, but I have heard it is doable. I have a colleague at the office who should attempt it in the next week. If you don't want to mess with that, there is the sunbeam, corecontact who is has good and you can buy the crossbow mount for it.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....