Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2008, 09:01 AM
Rookie

Default Questions on my new rig.

I plan to be ordering parts for my new build pretty soon but I have some questions I wanna throw out to get some feedback. So far my specs are:

antec 1200 case (+2 antec tri cool 120mm fans for the optionals)

antec truepower 1000W modular power supply

intel core i7 920 2.66ghz processor (plan to overclock it)

vigor monsoon III cpu cooler (taking stock fan off and adding 2 antec tricool 120mm fans on both sides for cooling and exhaust)

evga x58 atx sli motherboard

6gb g skill ddr3 1333ghz ram (going to OC to 1600)

evga gtx 280 ssc oc'd 1gb gpu

aoc 22" widescreen 1680 x 1050 monitor

WD veloci-raptor 750gb hdd

lg 22x cd/dvd drive (x2)

scythe 5.25" bay fan controller (for opt fans and cpu cooler and temps)

.....Thats is my build at the moment now for my questions so I don't have to make a couple threads.

1. CPU cooler- current or should I opt for the Thermalright 120-Ultra. If so, why?

2. evga x58 atx sli motherboard or the asus p6t? If so, why?

3. evga gtx 280 ssc or bfg gtx 280 oc'd?
Old December 11, 2008, 09:13 AM
Rookie

The TRU-120 is generally regarded as one of the better (best?) air coolers out right now. It's only drawback is price.

edit: if it makes any difference I just went with the P6T. From the reviews I've read the P6T and the Gigabyte UD5 boards are the best ones out for the i7 (excluding the Rampage which is too expensive in my view)

edit2: I also prefer eVGA for their warranty and support. I do not know if BFG offers the same type of service.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I had to look up the Vigor Monsoon (never heard of them before). Looks like a Solid Cooler, Upgrading to a Thermalright would be down to Personal Preferance IMHO.
Either way you have a Solid High Grade Air Cooling Solution. Although I have over the past while now heard nothing but good reviews for Thermalright Products.

I have no clue on the MB ideas, so hopefully someone else can cover that base.
Quick Question, Who has a 750g Raptor? I always thought their MAx Capacity (even on WD's Website) is 300gig.
Might be a typo, I do it all the time lol.

Video Card, nVidia is not my field either, I am ATI lol. So I could only Recommend their Lineup! :)

Otherwise, your build Looks Solid, Mind you I shudder at the LG drives (only because I had 2 bad experiences with DOA's to my personal Build).
You could...if you Really wanted to....WC the whole setup as well. The Antec 1200 has the room for it after all.

Regards,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Yea it is a 300gb. Was looking at a diff. hdd while typing thread. As far as the gigabyte goes, I have had bad experiences with them before so it is not in my list of things to be considered. I really do like both the p6t and the evga. Its gonna come down to which board has better support for OC mainly. And for a ATI GPU, I might have to see some serious benchmarks to be convinced (avid nvidia fan). I will keep looking at things, but always willing to hear more feedback. thanks everyone
Old December 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
Rookie

also, does anyone have any ideas for watercooling my system?
Old December 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly; save your money and pick up a couple 640gb WD Black Drives.

On that 22" LCD Screen you're also honestly wasting money on that GTX280; Take a look at the reviews on these forums.

I suggest picking up a 216 core GTX260; Either the EVGA or the BFG Maxcore; the BFG ones are really nice but both offer similar performance accross their 260-216 line.

There are BFG GTX260 Maxcores on NCIX right now for a STEAL of a price; and considering they are within 10% performance of a GTX 280 you'd, and I'll be very blunt - be completely insane to still get a 280. :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.