Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2008, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

Default Multi Purpose Rackmount PC

I have been toying with a couple options for my new computer and I think I am starting to piece together a plan. My first thought for mobile work was a laptop, which later moved to a shuttle build to up the anti a little bit in terms of price vs performance, but I think that a rackmount PC is where I am headed. I own most of the parts I will need and these will be marked with a *. I'm here in hopes to be reassured I am on the right track, or to have some other options put forward.

The idea of this build is that I need to be able to do mobile DJing and live sound recording on the same unit. Either way I bring a rack with me so the rackmount PC is the easiest option. I have not done large recording projects on my home computer yet, but have worked with some high end set ups that this will trump. It's no high end gaming PC, but it should chug through 16 channel audio without any problems.

For a case I am looking at the Compucase RA349C00F. It's a simple unit with more than enough room.

PSU* 700watt OCZ (forget the name).

CPU Q9450

Motherboard* GA-EP35-DS3L (along with a firewire card to make up for its lack there of).

Ram* 4gb of OCZ SLI ready DDR2 ram (bought when I was going to get an SLI board), at 1066.

Hard drives* 320GB and 500GB internal, 500GB external (for backing up recordings)

Soundcard* Xmod or one of the others I have picked up. Xmod is the easiest I have used to far now that my drivers don't mess with Cubase.

Graphics card* 8800GTS until I get my gaming PC back up to snuff (most of these items were going to be upgrades for it), and an older 7600GT after that.

I think I am on the right track with this but I have only built a complete PC once. If I don't swap any of the items I currently own out I am looking at a bit over $600. My spending limit is around this at the moment, but I wont be building this till late January so prices may change. Any other options or items I should look into are appreciated. If not, I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Thanks for reading,
Lyxtwing

Edit: I should mention, I am not going to be overclocking this PC at all. The system has to be as stable as possible.

Last edited by Lyxtwing; December 10, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Everything looks fine - make sure the PSU fits inside the case (I taught that rackmounts required a particular-sized PSU). I would add to the list an after-market HSF - being an ex-DJ myself I know how hot the room can get, and your Quad will need a good cooling solution. Look at the OCZ Vendetta II for that.

Also for the sound recording side and hardware, drop a PM to Robscix - he's the Sound guru around here.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks, I'll look into the PSU sizing. As for the cooler I have a Freezer 7 Pro handy that should do the trick if I am not over clocking.

Edit: The only thing the case says is "Power size: PS2 Power" which only brings up playstation stuff in my searches. I'll check some other case descriptions to see if I find anything else.

Last edited by Lyxtwing; December 10, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would suggest the antec "Take" series rackmount cases if you are looking for silence. They have a 3U and a 4U available.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

By the looks of it, a standard PSU should fit; check out the pics here: Newegg.com - hec RA349C00F w HEC500TDBTF 1.2 mm heavy duty steel 3U Rackmount Server Case 500W 4 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Server Chassis

For the HSF, the AC7 Pro will do the job no problem.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; December 10, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
Top Prospect

Looks like they will fit fine, thanks for the hand.

I'm going to give those Take cases a serious look. May be just what I am looking for.
Old December 11, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've done some rackmount work.

My current 'network' resides in a 'semi-portable' 29" high , 16" deep ,handmade rack :

The blank aluminum front is my Router ;

---

That's a modified std ATX computer put into a 1.5 u rack case........

-----

The first piece of advice I'll give , is to pay attention to the 'depths' of the gear. A lot of premade ATX rack cases are really deep....

It's actually reasonably easy to build your own rack stuff , If yah want to try , I'll help yah out.

Old December 11, 2008, 06:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok.

You have a 24-port switch, with only 3 cables. Overkill maybe?

Stupid question. Knowing you, that's probably standard.

LOL
Old December 11, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe....

It's full on overkill for just me yes.That's a semi-managed full gbit switch/router combo.I have a second switch just like it that connects with a 4x aggregate link for a total of 40 Gbit links.

My clan (cls||) put this network together for our lans , I'm the network guy tho , so I get to run it at home....I do however have to pack it all up when we do a LAN.......